HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #15,196 of 21,868
  So I spent the last hour listening to it off the Schiit Mj (never tried it off the Mj before). Not bad for a HE 6 starter rig before one graduates to speaker amps
biggrin.gif
, subject to other variables in the chain not being bright. It shows 75-80% of what HE 6 is capable of IMO.

how do you know what the he-6's 100% is 
tongue.gif
 ?

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #15,197 of 21,868
please read it as 70-75% of what I have heard the HE 6 capable of on my Tube Speaker Amp. One of these days I will connect it to my Master 1 + Master 2 & see if it can scale further.

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #15,198 of 21,868
I stopped using the Mojo with the HE 6 after a brief session. It did not sound right at all to my ears (no meat). Did not waste any time going to my integrated amp. Now I need to work up the amp ladder! Hopefully the Stratos will be the stopping point.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #15,199 of 21,868
Im enjoying this HE6 so much , it just sound amazing ( better than the sennheiser hd800 imo)........ im  surprised the sophia el34 amp matches well  even at 28wpc . my only problem is i am using 6ca7 tubes and the amp is biased for el34 so the tubes heat up pretty quickly , i can only listen to about an album and then turn it off - listening more might burn out the tubes so quickly i believe . its a fixed bias amp so it needs change is resistors to change the bias and im not into that . i might have someone look at it and help me bias it to take 6ca7 and kt77 tubes instead of el34.

havent tried it with the odyssey stratos extreme yet .

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #15,200 of 21,868

They're full of it...just trying to push their EF-6 which is a massively overpriced and at best very mediocre amplifier imho.  I'm typing this with my 6 plugged into the headphone out of my SX-1980 receiver which delivers about 20W into 50 Ohm via the headphone out, currently listening to a C.P.E. Bach concerto on the radio and I can assure you that there are no smoking fragments of drivers flying about.  On the contrary, it once again becomes clear how much clean power the HE-6 require to really shine and how they scale up.

BTW:  Prep, if you're reading this, I managed to buy F1 boards and other components, love my F5 clone but had the possibility to listen to an F1 and I like its presentation just a hair more though I can imagine it might be a bit too clean/much for some.  Whatever you do, don't sell yours (or if you decide to sell, send me a pm first :wink:

Cradon already has it.  He didn't let it hit the for sale page..  Yes..  It truly is a very clean amp.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #15,203 of 21,868
  I got around with the grill mod , I prefer no fabric - just the cut out grill mesh . This things sounds incredible .

Welcome to the modded HE6 club. It's just fantastic, isn't it?

I mentioned in the HD800 and/or LCD-X thread how I think a well-amped + modded HE6 kills those headphones and unleashed a torrent of defensive posts from owners of those 'other' headphones. I guess folks that have invested the coin in LCD-X and /or HD800 don't want to hear that the cheaper HE6 can run rings around them once modded and amped up. Oh well.

I own all 3 and there is no doubt in my mind which one is king, in almost any setting - the modded HE6 (fuzzor + vegan pads + grill removal).

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #15,204 of 21,868

Welcome to the modded HE6 club. It's just fantastic, isn't it?

I mentioned in the HD800 and/or LCD-X thread how I think a well-amped + modded HE6 kills those headphones and unleashed a torrent of defensive posts from owners of those 'other' headphones. I guess folks that have invested the coin in LCD-X and /or HD800 don't want to hear that the cheaper HE6 can run rings around them once modded and amped up. Oh well.

I own all 3 and there is no doubt in my mind which one is king, in almost any setting - the modded HE6 (fuzzor + vegan pads + grill removal).

Tony ,

I have owned all three - I had the lcdx and hd800 with the alo studio six / decware preamp  and both cant touch my he6 / odyssey stratos extreme combo . so far I have done the pads and grill combo -ni havenet done the fuzzor yet .
what does the fuzzier do to the sound?
btw time to put down my avatar ....

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #15,205 of 21,868

Tony ,

I have owned all three - I had the lcdx and hd800 with the alo studio six / decware preamp  and both cant touch my he6 / odyssey stratos extreme combo . so far I have done the pads and grill combo -ni havenet done the fuzzor yet .
what does the fuzzier do to the sound?
btw time to put down my avatar ....

Tames the treble, I think. I did all 3 at once, so it is hard for me to be sure which mod does what.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #15,206 of 21,868
I just removed the fuzzor mod felt thingy. I like the treble better without it.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #15,208 of 21,868
Another wow moment. Just added Audeze black leather pads to my HE-6 and love it even more than with the Alpha pads or my suede topped Denon pads.

Comfort and awesome sound...........

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #15,209 of 21,868
Doesn't roll off the bass?

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #15,210 of 21,868
Bass is glorious with these pads. Treble seems a bit more shimmery as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back