= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 19, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #20,656 of 21,176
Absolutely! Have at it. I do admit to being puzzled by the fandom the 560 has. I am astonished by the fandom of the LCD-2. Different folks and different strokes they say....
I like them because they are different, and I’ve always valued airy open headstages. If there were one perfect sound target this would be a much less interesting hobby.

May 19, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #20,657 of 21,176
I like them because they are different, and I’ve always valued airy open headstages. If there were one perfect sound target this would be a much less interesting hobby.

I love HFM's in general - that airy sound - but the HE5-LE, 560, and Ananda distract me with excess highs. The 560 as a bright sounding can - and being a bitter step back from the HE-500 is an opinion that has been posted here like 400 times since the 560's came out. You don't need to justify your opinion with me. You like them and I don't. Huzza to both of us

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #20,658 of 21,176
You don't need to justify your opinion with me...
So true :)

I was responding to this:
...I do admit to being puzzled by the fandom the 560 has....
Seemed like a question was implied — perhaps rhetorical.

May 19, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #20,659 of 21,176
So true :)

I was responding to this:

Seemed like a question was implied — perhaps rhetorical.

Yes, basically outside of gracefully avoiding arguments over taste I never have been able to understand the draw of the 560 - and I guess I never will, so, I'l move on.

May 28, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #20,660 of 21,176
Hi All,

I have been interested in the HE-560 for some time, and have been looking for a used pair.

Now I start reading about the quality issues some (many?) have had with them. So I am wondering if there is some way to reduce the risk of getting a poor pair.

I tried googling to find a comparison of the different iterations of the headphone, but could find nothing, so I still do not know how many changes/models have been made, how the sound signature may have changed, or how the quality may have changed along the way.

At first I read folks stating that the sets sold through Adorama were particularly poor quality, but then as I continued reading, it appeared to be that there are QC issues from many others also.

The biggest complaint I read about is headbands breaking. One person claimed to have ordered a replacement directly from HiFiman ($60!), and they broke also. This would lead me to believe this is an issue not only related to Adorama models.

My questions:

1. Is there a resource, or can someone give me a run down of the various changes made to the model. Hardware changes or redesigns, and sound signature changes, if any.

2. Are any of these models considered to be of higher quality as far as reliability?

3. Are there aftermarket headbands that can be bought that are of better quality?

4. Some folks have two cables, balanced and TRS. Did some come this way, or is that an extra that had to be ordered?

In short, what can I do to try to find a decent pair that I can use for some years.

From what I have read, and a comparison a friend did for me, I think they have a sound signature that would suit me. I am not a fan of laid-back sound.

Any help is appreciated.

May 28, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #20,661 of 21,176
Hi All,

I have been interested in the HE-560 for some time, and have been looking for a used pair.

Now I start reading about the quality issues some (many?) have had with them. So I am wondering if there is some way to reduce the risk of getting a poor pair.

I tried googling to find a comparison of the different iterations of the headphone, but could find nothing, so I still do not know how many changes/models have been made, how the sound signature may have changed, or how the quality may have changed along the way.

At first I read folks stating that the sets sold through Adorama were particularly poor quality, but then as I continued reading, it appeared to be that there are QC issues from many others also.

The biggest complaint I read about is headbands breaking. One person claimed to have ordered a replacement directly from HiFiman ($60!), and they broke also. This would lead me to believe this is an issue not only related to Adorama models.

My questions:

1. Is there a resource, or can someone give me a run down of the various changes made to the model. Hardware changes or redesigns, and sound signature changes, if any.

2. Are any of these models considered to be of higher quality as far as reliability?

3. Are there aftermarket headbands that can be bought that are of better quality?

4. Some folks have two cables, balanced and TRS. Did some come this way, or is that an extra that had to be ordered?

In short, what can I do to try to find a decent pair that I can use for some years.

From what I have read, and a comparison a friend did for me, I think they have a sound signature that would suit me. I am not a fan of laid-back sound.

Any help is appreciated.

1. Start here and read until you get to the Google Docs link, then go there and read that:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1369#post-14718477

2. You want the version listed in the doc as HiFiMan v2. That is among the easiest to find now and has not been re-tuned. Metal yokes are not worth the re-tuning, from all indications. If the plastic yokes don't break in a month, like mine did, then they seem to last years.

3. Yes. Start here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1284#post-14114447 and here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1284#post-14114447

But, it is now pretty unlikely that you will need to replace the headband due to a broken yoke. That seems to have been a relatively isolated incident involving one batch of the 560s. HiFiMan is also very good about replacing the headband with very little fuss. That was my experience when I got mine replaced anyway.

4. Some Adorama versions come with a balanced cable, but those versions have the re-tuning. Avoid those and get a Periapt (or similar) cable instead for about $80.

I'm happy to answer any other questions that arise. Hope that helps!

May 28, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #20,662 of 21,176
Good stuff! Many thanks.

So a V2 version that has 2.5 jacks is actually wooden cup? Somewhere I heard that it was only the first version with SMC that had wood cups.

May 28, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #20,664 of 21,176
Good stuff! Many thanks.

So a V2 version that has 2.5 jacks is actually wooden cup? Somewhere I heard that it was only the first version with SMC that had wood cups.

Well, wood veneer. So no influence on the sound, just ornamental.

And as long as it does not have 3.5 jack, it is NOT Adorama?

Basically, yes. Those Adorama ones tended to have more driver issues than the original, and the sound is definitely not quite the same. I've got two years on my current 560's and they've held up great.

May 28, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #20,666 of 21,176
Version 1: quite rare, wood cup, SMC jack, focus-a pads, only available as a pre-order iirc
Version 2: wood veneer, SMC jack, focus pads, back plate
Version 3: wood veneer, 2.5mm jack, focus pads (iirc some have back plate, some don't, so could be considered version 3.1)
Version 4: no veneer, 3.5mm jack, focus pads
Above is what I can remember reading in this thread over the years, please correct missing/wrong info

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #20,667 of 21,176
I bought mine from Adorama, it has wood veneer and 2.5mm jacks. It came with an extra balanced XLR cable, Yokes broke within three months and HiFiMan sent me a metal headband after I emailed them proof of purchase. They sound very good to me.

May 28, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #20,668 of 21,176
I bought mine from Adorama, it has wood veneer and 2.5mm jacks. It came with an extra balanced XLR cable, Yokes broke within three months and HiFiMan sent me a metal headband after I emailed them proof of purchase. They sound very good to me.

So there really is no way to know if you are getting an Adorama set, unless they are silver. A seller can have wood veneer w/2.5, and I would have no way of knowing :frowning2:

May 29, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #20,670 of 21,176
I bought my V2 from amazon.com, a seller, not Amazon itself.

One driver had some dust/particles inside and after tearing it apart to remove it (which was a success) sound was never the same. I've sent my HE-560 to their UK center and in couple of weeks they sent me a new one from HK (DHL sucks, they asked me to pay Customs fee again, I fought back and won).

Yokes seems fine, but in the past 3 months I wasn't using these cans anymore (lack of time); hope they'll last over time.

However, sound is great, totally recommended! Pairing these planars with discrete output stages is a blessing: Burson FUN/PLAY/PLAYMATE/Conductor V2+, Matrix M-Stage HPA 3B.
Some measurements here: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE5602014.pdf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back