= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 15, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #5,371 of 21,176
I have one of the 20 original code-x's with the right amp to compare both.. will see what i can do... ☺ but i will tell ya in advance...the 560 has to be one hell of a phone to beat the most musical headphone i ever heard...

I was waiting for you to chime in :wink:

What would you guys consider some of the best amp and dac combos for the He-560's in the ~$700-$800 range?

Check out the iFi micro iDSD!! It may appeal to your fancy as it did to jexby and I.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #5,372 of 21,176
Check out the iFi micro iDSD!! It may appeal to your fancy as it did to jexby and I.

For whatever reason my usb case ports produce a humming sound when my other peripherals are used, so if I'm browsing the internet while listening, every time I move the mouse I get a humming sound (it's not blatantly obvious, but it still detracts from the overall experience) any recommendations using optical or coaxial?

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #5,374 of 21,176
For whatever reason my usb case ports produce a humming sound when my other peripherals are used, so if I'm browsing the internet while listening, every time I move the mouse I get a humming sound (it's not blatantly obvious, but it still detracts from the overall experience) any recommendations using optical or coaxial?
^ read above

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #5,375 of 21,176

USB ports tend to be part of the same board a lot of times and the power is often shared among many ports and poorly implemented USB controllers and ports can cause interference. Finding a separate port that isn't connected to other devices USB controller may work. It's a quality issue with most USB controllers in computers. If the computer happens to have a USB 3.0 slot, I would plug the audio device there because they tend to be on a separate controller than the other USB slots and are generally of better quality, it has nothing to do with USB 3.0 being better for audio inherently it is just implemented with higher quality parts since it's still on the new side and most computers don't use it as their only USB ports. If the problem can't be fixed by changing the USB slot the device is in, optical or coaxial is the way to go or getting something to help isolate the USB port from the computer.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #5,376 of 21,176
  Just sold my modded HE-500s. HE-560 incoming. What I'm looking forward to:

1. How they pair with my La Figaro 339 (TS 5998). My modded HE-500 was simply amazing with this setup. If they don't work well then I guess I have to look into the Violectric V281
wink.gif

Not too bad, tried it yesterday. But not the best either. The pairing with the Theorem 720 is magical though

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #5,377 of 21,176
  Want to share my experience here.. Never think I got to it?

The 560 in my posession is as insensitive as my HE-5LE, maybe even slightly more insensitive.. For reference my HE-500 is around 4-5 dB louder at same setting give or take.

It's possible that HE-560 is more sensitive than HE-500, but some people noticed that they have 50ohm impedance instead of 35 mentioned in the specs, so amps can output less current into them. That's weird since HE-560 was supposed to be easier to drive due to its single-ended design (but low weight is IMO the best benefit of it).

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #5,378 of 21,176
Yeah as mentioned earlier, mine is 38/39 ohms respectively.
Seems like this varies quite a bit.
That said, the 560s can do well with less power but they certainly don't mind more as well ;D

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #5,379 of 21,176
How does the ifi Micro compare to others in its price range, if the usb solutions work (I'm sure they do, y'all know your stuff) the portability factor would put it quite high on my list. Also, would you say that my price range under powers these headphones (as they are still orthodynamics, even if they are easier to drive than others)? If so, at what price do these really begin to sing?

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #5,382 of 21,176
How does the ifi Micro compare to others in its price range, if the usb solutions work (I'm sure they do, y'all know your stuff) the portability factor would put it quite high on my list. Also, would you say that my price range under powers these headphones (as they are still orthodynamics, even if they are easier to drive than others)? If so, at what price do these really begin to sing?

No one has heard the production of the micro iDSD yet. Power wise seeing that the impedance ratings of the HE-560 varies a lot with the most being 50 ohms, the iDSD outputs a stable current of 2W at 50ohms which is sure to drive the HE-560 sufficiently in its "Turbo" setting (10V). Surely they will scale with better performing and more powerful equipment but for around $600-$700 with the performance iFi is claiming it to have, I doubt you'll find a better DAC/amp at that price. This is all not considering that it's portable.

Even connected to a computer, the iDSD CAN run using its own battery which would be way cleaner and more free from noise than using USB power. The USB power would be merely to charge the battery. In addition, iFi implemented an onboard iPurifier to clean up the digital signal even more. Read up on the iPurifier for clarifications because all I have is faith in iFi's implementation and their experience in power grooming (iUSB Power). Oh yeah, iFi's measured USB performance in terms of jitter is equal to and possibly even superior to typical coaxial performance. Let's just say their iDSD micro crowd design thread made me into a fanboy

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #5,383 of 21,176

Want to share my experience here.. Never think I got to it?

The 560 in my posession is as insensitive as my HE-5LE, maybe even slightly more insensitive.. For reference my HE-500 is around 4-5 dB louder at same setting give or take.

It's possible that HE-560 is more sensitive than HE-500, but some people noticed that they have 50ohm impedance instead of 35 mentioned in the specs, so amps can output less current into them. That's weird since HE-560 was supposed to be easier to drive due to its single-ended design (but low weight is IMO the best benefit of it).

The impedance difference alone shouldn't do it. The fact that it is single-ended only makes it harder to drive by the way. There are 4 factors:

• Magnet strength (lesser when single-ended generally, fewer magnets)
  • Distance from magnets to diaphragm
  • Impedance
  • Length of diaphragm tracers (pattern as well)

Anything else?

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #5,384 of 21,176
  The impedance difference alone shouldn't do it. The fact that it is single-ended only makes it harder to drive by the way. There are 4 factors:

• Magnet strength (lesser when single-ended generally, fewer magnets)
  • Distance from magnets to diaphragm
  • Impedance
  • Length of diaphragm tracers (pattern as well)

Anything else?

I noticed that they weren't any easier to drive than the he500 either. Maybe I misunderstood the original pitch by hifiman. I thought that the idea was that the 560 would be easier to drive. I could be wrong...I have been before...once. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back