= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #4,966 of 21,171
I'm not. Basshead implies I like heavy bass. I don't. I like a slight emphasis, or at least elevated over the mids and treble ala LCD2 and HE-400. I wouldn't call those two basshead cans, just bass that is well represented.

I absolutely love the K712 and K702 Anniversary's bass which aren't basshead cans by any stretch of the word.

ALso, again, I loved the Alpha Dog's bass. Just not a huuuge fan of the neutral to bright tonality overall.

I WAS a basshead back in the day, as most of us probably were when starting out. And I still do enjoy bassy cans.

The HE-4 (btw) is in my top 5headphones to date. If I had something powerful, I'd probably still have one.

IMO nothing wrong to be a basshead or prefer a "non-audiophile-approved" flappy/bloomy bass... Different music can benefit from different presentation.  It's all about hearing music the way we want!

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #4,967 of 21,171
Oh, I think we're good guys 
wink_face.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #4,968 of 21,171
I'm not. Basshead implies I like heavy bass. I don't. I like a slight emphasis, or at least elevated over the mids and treble ala LCD2 and HE-400. I wouldn't call those two basshead cans, just bass that is well represented.

I absolutely love the K712 and K702 Anniversary's bass which aren't basshead cans by any stretch of the word.

ALso, again, I loved the Alpha Dog's bass. Just not a huuuge fan of the neutral to bright tonality overall.

I WAS a basshead back in the day, as most of us probably were when starting out. And I still do enjoy bassy cans.

The HE-4 (btw) is in my top 5headphones to date. If I had something powerful, I'd probably still have one.

Don't get me wrong, I like K712 Pro and LCD-2 a lot as well... I just find HE-4 or HD800 better in terms of bass realism. LCD-2, for example, are really really good in terms of bass... But I find the quantity too good to be true. I just don't hear as much bass in real life, real music.

IMO nothing wrong to be a basshead or prefer a "non-audiophile-approved" flappy/bloomy bass... Different music can benefit from different presentation.  It's all about hearing music the way we want!

Of course, nothing wrong with that!

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #4,969 of 21,171
Of course not. My main headphone at the moment is an Ultrasone HFI-15G, which has a considerable mid bass emphasis...

Much enjoyment out of it, though I obviously don't think it's meant for audiophile level listening. That, and I've just been impatiently waiting for the 400i....

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #4,971 of 21,171

Boy do I hope you are wrong! I have a Gungnir, but I don't expect to feel the same way. I think the Gungnir is a very good DAC, maybe not of the ubber bucks variety, but a good performer. I am hoping your experience was also somewhat amp.dac interaction related (although for the life of me I can't see an amp really interacting differently with different dacs, at least not significantly). Currently I have an Asgard 2, but I have pretty much decided to move to a Youlong A18 despite it being a slightly mellow amp in the top end. I am a tad worried that the A18 will have that HD650 rolled of/slightly veiled sound with the 560.

I find it interesting to see how the impressions of the 560 from pre-order version praise for being almost flagship worthy sounding and not gear sensitive to where the thread is now with varying reports of these are pretty good, but bass light and gear sensitive. Keep in mind I know that going upstream with sources almost always can improve the sound of a headphone, and that as more reviewers chime in you will get a larger sample and hence more difference in impressions. Even so I really find that the tone of support for the 560 has softened quite a bit. I can't wait to get mine and see for myself, but sadly at first I will only have an Asgard 2 to use. Is it just me or does the Asgard have a very narrow sound stage?

It might be the amp.  From the impressions I've gotten, the Master 9 seems to be relatively neutral (supposedly), and I do notice more apparent differences when switching DAC's than I did with my old A18.  Speaking of the A18, I ran the HD650's with it through a few different DAC's (DA8,D100,MS Pro)  and didn't like the signature with any of them, it was too mellow for my taste.  The A18 sounded superb with the HE-560 though.  There were times when I enjoyed the pairing more than with my M9.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #4,972 of 21,171
Hi,
Just a reminder that this is the last day for signing up on our HE-560 US Tour event. We have decided to extend it to Canada as well, and we might add one or two HE-560s to the tour to reduce the wait time. We will NOT ask you to wait six month. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/725559/hifiman-he-560-us-touring-event-sign-up-list-updated

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jul 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4,974 of 21,171
How much wasa the Norse cable if you don't mind me asking?

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #4,976 of 21,171

It might be the amp.  From the impressions I've gotten, the Master 9 seems to be relatively neutral (supposedly), and I do notice more apparent differences when switching DAC's than I did with my old A18.  Speaking of the A18, I ran the HD650's with it through a few different DAC's (DA8,D100,MS Pro)  and didn't like the signature with any of them, it was too mellow for my taste.  The A18 sounded superb with the HE-560 though.  There were times when I enjoyed the pairing more than with my M9.

Thanks for the reply. I won't be using a 650 with the A18, just the 560 with the Gungnir. I am beginning to think the A18 will be a great amp for the 560 as your experience seems to confirm. If the A18 has solid bass performance as reported this should work well with the articulate, yet perhaps slightly understated bass presentation of the 560. I am very much looking forward to the pairing. Have you had the chance to hear an Asgard 2? Recently I purchased one new and almost never use it as my NAD HP50 has such a short cable that I just can't be bothered. I did listen the other night and I was surprised how narrow the sound stage was with the Asgard/HP 50 combo. I need to keep in mind that I have been listening to my speaker rig extensively for the last 4 months and they image very well and with a decent listening size room I guess I have become spoiled with sound stage. That said, I couldn't help feeling the Asgard is quite narrow. I was wondering if anybody here has had that experience as for a few weeks I will be using the Asgard with my 560s until the A18 arrives.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #4,977 of 21,171
I'll post some initial impressions: [headphone still burning in, brain burn in in progress as well]

- Comfort is top notch. Pads are breaking in well and although they seemed a bit small, my ears can tuck in nicely. One of the few headphones that fit me well. Along with the headband it is the best comfort I've experienced yet.
- Bass is excellent, impact is aplenty [depending on genre and song of course] when called for, extension is supreme and texture is mental... definitely trumps my K612 in all aspects, even in impact
- Midtange is neutral, not forward nor recessed, instruments sound very natural and life-like
- Vocals are amazing, no sibilance to speak of [very apparent in comparison with the K612], great presence to vocals
- Highs are extended and airy, with great presence but smoooth, no harshness to speak of, no excessive attention to cymbals and very little fatigue if any
- soundstage height, width and depth is great, it is more intimate than the AKG by a significant margin but the resulting sound is thus much more coherent and enveloping. great holography. The sheer size is on average side of things but this can be a pro as well, because it allows you to connect with the music much easier and "just listen".
- imaging is top notch and so is instrument separation, no problems here whatsoever. Layering is likewise excellent.
- sound is very detailed, easy to pick apart [more so than the AKGs IMO], I imagine there are even more detailed headphones ala HD800 or HE-6, but I am happy with amount I am getting. More details could be detracting or distracting...
- Decay is great, resulting in bass that is fast and accurate [I guess drier] sound, that still has a weight to it
- the sound is very dynamic, incredibly precise and coupled with the intimate, more "in your face" soundstage [compared to AKGs] and great detailing makes for a very involving and enjoyable listen, definitely not laid back, IMO.
- the headphone is very neutral and is in essence genre and track sensitive [meaning it for instance gauges bass differently for genres and tracks]
- even though people label these headphones as light and quick, I disagree, the K612 sound noticeably lighter to me. The 560 has a heavier, more weighty sound in comparison, but I guess still on the lighter side to most, not me.

The few negatives that could possibly be for some is neutral bass [not for me though - I think more bass would negatively affect my experience and mask subtler details].
There's still more and better bass than the K612 provide though... so I don't see myself asking for more.
HD800 lovers will not find that huge soundstage here, IMO but you'll get a much more musical and involving experience in return. In fact, this is the first time in a long time for me when I've just listened to the song without trying to consistently pick it apart... A good sign.
Lastly, the midrange could possibly be a hair more forward? I am just used to the K612 & MA900 forward midrange probably though, so.... I am not sure on this, nothing wrong with the mids per say, they're there and neutral, not recessed. The very detailed highs and bass is certain though.

Not a fan of the cable...

So lastly to confirm, I believe these outperform my former HE-6s setup for me. The HE-6 was brighter and a bit more detailed and refined on my former setup [a-100 + NFB 3.32] but the 560 wins now [Compass2] in tonal balance, musicality and imaging.

I am open to questions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #4,979 of 21,171
  I'll post some initial impressions: [headphone still burning in, brain burn in in progress as well]

- Comfort is top notch. Pads are breaking in well and although they seemed a bit small, my ears can tuck in nicely. One of the few headphones that fit me well. Along with the headband it is the best comfort I've experienced yet.
- Bass is excellent, impact is aplenty [depending on genre and song of course] when called for, extension is supreme and texture is mental... definitely trumps my K612 in all aspects, even in impact
- Midtange is neutral, not forward nor recessed, instruments sound very natural and life-like
- Vocals are amazing, no sibilance to speak of [very apparent in comparison with the K612], great presence to vocals
- Highs are extended and airy, with great presence but smoooth, no harshness to speak of, no excessive attention to cymbals and very little fatigue if any
- soundstage height, width and depth is great, it is more intimate than the AKG by a significant margin but the resulting sound is thus much more coherent and enveloping. great holography. The sheer size is on average side of things but this can be a pro as well, because it allows you to connect with the music much easier and "just listen".
- imaging is top notch and so is instrument separation, no problems here whatsoever. Layering is likewise excellent.
- sound is very detailed, easy to pick apart [more so than the AKGs IMO], I imagine there are even more detailed headphones ala HD800 or HE-6, but I am happy with amount I am getting. More details could be detracting or distracting...
- Decay is great, resulting in bass that is fast and accurate [I guess drier] sound, that still has a weight to it
- the sound is very dynamic, incredibly precise and coupled with the intimate, more "in your face" soundstage [compared to AKGs] and great detailing makes for a very involving and enjoyable listen, definitely not laid back, IMO.
- the headphone is very neutral and is in essence genre and track sensitive [meaning it for instance gauges bass differently for genres and tracks]
- even though people label these headphones as light and quick, I disagree, the K612 sound noticeably lighter to me. The 560 has a heavier, more weighty sound in comparison, but I guess still on the lighter side to most, not me.

The few negatives that could possibly be for some is neutral bass [not for me though - I think more bass would negatively affect my experience and mask subtler details].
There's still more and better bass than the K612 provide though... so I don't see myself asking for more.
HD800 lovers will not find that huge soundstage here, IMO but you'll get a much more musical and involving experience in return. In fact, this is the first time in a long time for me when I've just listened to the song without trying to consistently pick it apart... A good sign.
Lastly, the midrange could possibly be a hair more forward? I am just used to the K612 & MA900 forward midrange probably though, so.... I am not sure on this, nothing wrong with the mids per say, they're there and neutral, not recessed. The very detailed highs and bass is certain though.

Not a fan of the cable...

So lastly to confirm, I believe these outperform my former HE-6s setup for me. The HE-6 was brighter and a bit more detailed and refined on my former setup [a-100 + NFB 3.32] but the 560 wins now [Compass2] in tonal balance, musicality and imaging.

I am open to questions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you are enjoying it. :)

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back