= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 10, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #4,951 of 21,171
  Thanks. I ordered about the same minute as the info on the A-pads were up here. Payment received but have not received any info on shipment (or lack thereof).

Likewise 
popcorn.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #4,952 of 21,171

For what it's worth, I think the conflicting reports on bass might have a little to do with setup.  In my case when I was using the DA8 with them, I thought the bass was amazing.  It was tight, very focused, and hit hard with excellent PRaT and this is coming from an LCD-X.  However, after switching to the Gungnir, for some reason the HE-560 sounds somewhat bass light.  Songs that had me tapping my toes would now put me to sleep.  It almost has me wondering if these phones are really sensitive to changes in gear or if something is just wrong with the Gungnir.

Boy do I hope you are wrong! I have a Gungnir, but I don't expect to feel the same way. I think the Gungnir is a very good DAC, maybe not of the ubber bucks variety, but a good performer. I am hoping your experience was also somewhat amp.dac interaction related (although for the life of me I can't see an amp really interacting differently with different dacs, at least not significantly). Currently I have an Asgard 2, but I have pretty much decided to move to a Youlong A18 despite it being a slightly mellow amp in the top end. I am a tad worried that the A18 will have that HD650 rolled of/slightly veiled sound with the 560.

I find it interesting to see how the impressions of the 560 from pre-order version praise for being almost flagship worthy sounding and not gear sensitive to where the thread is now with varying reports of these are pretty good, but bass light and gear sensitive. Keep in mind I know that going upstream with sources almost always can improve the sound of a headphone, and that as more reviewers chime in you will get a larger sample and hence more difference in impressions. Even so I really find that the tone of support for the 560 has softened quite a bit. I can't wait to get mine and see for myself, but sadly at first I will only have an Asgard 2 to use. Is it just me or does the Asgard have a very narrow sound stage?

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #4,955 of 21,171
aaah i wait four month and they are here today. But... i'm not at home, holiday for a month !!! I can't wait my holidays finish :wink:
Edit : in a month i will post brievly my impressions compared to he500 and Alpha Dog (but from memory as i sold these)

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #4,956 of 21,171
  My Focus A pads shipped from the same address where my preorder HE560 was sent, so I assume they are recycling the pads returned on preorder HP.

Are they? I thought the Focus A pads are mirrored rather than asymmetrical.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #4,957 of 21,171

In short HE-400 is the bassiest planar magnetic I've listened to, and if you're expecting some other planar magnetic to give as much or more bass than it then you'll probably be disappointed (unless it's an earlier LCD2 I guess.)

Yes, definitely! But I love how there is always someone complaining that HE-400 are not that much bassy and that I severely exaggerate when I say that bass is dominating on them etc. 
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #4,958 of 21,171
Able to hear what?  .....
...Better to just keep it as 'half of head-fi believes in burn-in, half does not...

Well...
This is not realistic as well,
Because at last NY meet I swapped my old ED8 with another member's new ED8,
And although the base signature was the same,
It was soooooo easily discernible the differences that anyone could have herd the differences...
So I have to say ALL HEADFI and ANYBODY can hear differences! !!

Also my pads were not worn..
I did have a cable upgrade though.
The difference was my unit had more bass and sweeter trebles while the newer unit sounded more flat and neutral with less bass..

Haha!
I know I am a pain :p
:wink:

Just tried out a custom Norse Reign cable on the 560. While I would argue that there is a slight improvement in the sonic quality, there is a wicked nice improvement in form and function. Plus it looks tricked out...:D

Can you post a pick!
:)

Damn it, lol. So many conflicting reports. :D
I guess it's just down to when I actually hear the 560 where I'll see how it stacks up in bass to the AD.

Consider the he560 an amped up open version of AlphaDog which is 5X bigger, livelier and better in every way with better bass..
:p

I'm curious too... even though I also own the HD800s and have made some comments comparing them to my new HE-560s, I'm interested in knowing what other HD800 owners think of the 560s. I'm keeping both of them...

Dale

Me too..
Decided to keep both although I really only wanted one top can..

Why not oppo pm1 :)

Because the he560 is leagues ahead of the PM1 from memory of three weeks ownership. . (!)
:p

Seems to make sense, the closer to neutral the headphone the more its sound will change from upstream gear.  Purrin did stress that he recommends HE-560 with gear that isn't thin and bright.

Speaking of LCD-X to HE-560, it'll be interesting to see how I view the 560 after spending a couple solid weeks just listening to the LCD-X.

Wow very interested to hear!

Ah so the seams are not aligned when the actual 3D shapes of the pads are, in that case then yeah there's not much you can do to make it OCD-level perfect.
Seems like a defect as my seams seem correct. .

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #4,959 of 21,171
Jul 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #4,961 of 21,171
Better bass is subjective. People can argue that the HD800 has the tightest, most articulated bass, but I'll still prefer something with modest bass and some bloom, like the M50x or Fidelio X1. I like a level of potency in bass, not necessarily meaning emphasized, but something like the HE-400, which to be honest is about my bare minimum/gold standard in terms of bass.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #4,962 of 21,171
Connected and ready. [I hate this cable -_- unwieldy + SMA = meh] but let's get to the sound!
Aight, first song...

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #4,963 of 21,171
Better bass is subjective. People can argue that the HD800 has the tightest, most articulated bass, but I'll still prefer something with modest bass and some bloom, like the M50x or Fidelio X1. I like a level of potency in bass, not necessarily meaning emphasized, but something like the HE-400, which to be honest is about my bare minimum/gold standard in terms of bass.

In other words, you're a basshead... 
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #4,964 of 21,171
I'm not. Basshead implies I like heavy bass. I don't. I like a slight emphasis, or at least elevated over the mids and treble ala LCD2 and HE-400. I wouldn't call those two basshead cans, just bass that is well represented.

I absolutely love the K712 and K702 Anniversary's bass which aren't basshead cans by any stretch of the word.

ALso, again, I loved the Alpha Dog's bass. Just not a huuuge fan of the neutral to bright tonality overall.

I WAS a basshead back in the day, as most of us probably were when starting out. And I still do enjoy bassy cans.

The HE-4 (btw) is in my top 5headphones to date. If I had something powerful, I'd probably still have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back