HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #14,866 of 20,386
I doubt that you would have need to open the powersupply. Or was he concerned that, "Curiosity killed the cat?" :D  Probably not enough voltage to directly hurt a human but enough to zap any metal coming in contact accross the rails, like an errant screwdriver, etc.

I opened the power supply couple of times now in the first 3months i had him....it was sweating silicone to the outsides..normal thingie with all bc amps as he uses lots of silicone instead of straps etc..he provided me with a special thingie to open up the cover..take it off...so i could clean the cover safely with a damp soft cloth...now its clean..no sweating or smelling of silicone... :D
so i know its insides..and its HUGE..but i was careful to do what he said and also not touch the internals...hehehe

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #14,867 of 20,386
Yikes, what is the total capacitance per rail? Measured in Faradsn of course, no need for fractional values. Good news, Lockeed says that they will be able to make a portable fusion reactor in about 10 years that will fit on back of a truck. All this to power a pair of Code-X or HE-500's.

650.000uF in total. but only 5.23w into 50 ohm output .. Both measured...and nominal figures..so it could be a bit more :wink:

But as i said before...this amp was created and built to drive a he6....as i wanted to buy one..so gilbert took (literarly!!!)!the internals of his NSL power amp (from its production line) and made a mini version of that amp...so basically i have a speakeramp..tuned and modified to drive a he6.
But..my code-x has extra dampening/ modification and i understand from some owners that he is almost just as hard to drive as a normal he6.

Ps..i understand he already made amps powered by external car gel batteries, supercapacitators banks (in seperate cases) and even solar power! Crazy huh? That guy is nuts

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #14,868 of 20,386
Amazon just lowered the price to 499$!

Amazon just raised the HD-650s to $500!  Had 'em, sold 'em.  At $500, the 500s a good deal.  I'd keep the Senns if someone gifted me a pair.  I should've taken my Tokyo bro's offer for his (he'd just gotten some Focal for mixing).  This trip he claimed he "needed" his HD 650s for comparative purposes.  So did I... so did I 
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #14,869 of 20,386
650.000uF in total. but only 5.23w into 50 ohm output .. Both measured...and minimal figures..so it could be a bit more
wink.gif

But as i said before...this amp was created and built to drive a he6....as i wanted to buy one..so gilbert took (literarly!!!)!the internals of his NSL power amp (from its production line) and made a mini version of that amp...so basically i have a speakeramp..tuned and modified to drive a he6.
But..my code-x has extra dampening/ modification and i understand from some owners that he is almost just as hard to drive as a normal he6.

Did it come with a forklift so that you could move it around? Seems like a lot of overkill for a headphone amp that need not deliver more than 5.23 W into 50 Ohms. I expect that your amp has no hum in the output whatsovever, no matter how you want to measure it,.

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #14,870 of 20,386

Amazon just raised the HD-650s to $500!  Had 'em, sold 'em.  At $500, the 500s a good deal.  I'd keep the Senns if someone gifted me a pair.  I should've taken my Tokyo bro's offer for his (he'd just gotten some Focal for mixing).  This trip he claimed he "needed" his HD 650s for comparative purposes.  So did I... so did I 
wink.gif

Not so sure you'd be thrilled as the 650's lack the balance of bass and treble that the HE-500 and HE-560's have. You might actually prefer the HD600's.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #14,872 of 20,386
Just got some focus pads for these bad boys. Holy moly, why in the heck are they still shipping ANYTHING with velours or pleathers. The focus pads are like pillows!

Now all you need is a sky hook to offset some of the weight. Actually the weight doesn't bother me as much as I originally thought it would.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #14,873 of 20,386
Did it come with a forklift so that you could move it around? Seems like a lot of overkill for a headphone amp that need not deliver more than 5.23 W into 50 Ohms. I expect that your amp has no hum in the output whatsovever, no matter how you want to measure it,.

I dont know..what i do know is thT no matter the peak..low or high..or no matter the difficulty of the music to be played or even how many play at same time..I hear everything perfectly..even at very low levels ( i have very sensitive ears remember..so my volume cant be turned up a lot) i hear thundering lows and those extremely difficult to hear details in silent passages in classical music..or those playful little thingies some artists (like queen) put in their performances...with this amp i hear it all...at any volume level...its deadsilent..total absence of any noise of hum..i have a song of which the music dies wthin a second..and that silence After that for a few seconds are eery!!!!!! Total silence...as if u can hear silence...futst time i listened to it it sounded weird to me...but now..wow...the flash gorden track of queen (24/96 5500bps wav) almost makes me dizzy with the music rushing from every side to another..
I always say..just listen to it...and everone smiled while listening...one even listened to rammstein at a level i think i would loose my hearing and that dude was ecstatic...didnt want to stop..lolz..and my friend who is a very competent piano player listened to some beatiful classical film music (ennio morricone!) and he said the music sounded very believable..but he preferred standing speakers..as those have more soul...so everyone had its own preferences...i will never say this is best amp...as for everyone there is a right amp...no matter the pricerange or how its designed..ss, tube, opamps or otherwise ....and i love that..as that makes our hobby so sweet :p

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #14,874 of 20,386
  Not so sure you'd be thrilled as the 650's lack the balance of bass and treble that the HE-500 and HE-560's have. You might actually prefer the HD600's.

Yep, that's why I sold them.  Also, Senns don't fit my head.  I found them annoying to wear.  I probably would like the 600s, but I won't be buying a pair.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #14,875 of 20,386

Yep, that's why I sold them.  Also, Senns don't fit my head.  I found them annoying to wear.  I probably would like the 600s, but I won't be buying a pair.

I have  a pair of HD600's, that's why I thought you would like them, however, if you have the HE500's or HE-560's, soundwise, you really don't need the 600's, although I think they are more comfortable. I listen to my HE-500's more often than the HD600's.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #14,876 of 20,386
  Now all you need is a sky hook to offset some of the weight. Actually the weight doesn't bother me as much as I originally thought it would.

I don't mind the weight, but I find they like to shift about when I'm doing stuff, esp. when I'm leaning forward doing some detailed work that requires my Professor glasses.  Yes, I "borrowed" them from the Professor.  Actually, Ginger pinched 'em.  Maybe 'im, too 
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #14,877 of 20,386
  I have  a pair of HD600's, that's why I thought you would like them, however, if you have the HE500's or HE-560's, soundwise, you really don't need the 600's, although I think they are more comfortable. I listen to my HE-500's more often than the HD600's.

There's that, too.  I wouldn't mean some mid if dynamics that have a different sig from the Q701s.  Fidelio X2s are on the radar.

You may schedule the intervention for any time.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #14,878 of 20,386

I don't mind the weight, but I find they like to shift about when I'm doing stuff, esp. when I'm leaning forward doing some detailed work that requires my Professor glasses.  Yes, I "borrowed" them from the Professor.  Actually, Ginger pinched 'em.  Maybe 'im, too 
wink.gif

I'd rather pinch Maryanne.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the shifting about, move your head slowly or else you might get some whiplash.
Jimi Hendrix, Voodoo Chile Slight Return + HE-500's rock well together. That's what I'm listening to right now.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #14,879 of 20,386
  I'd rather pinch Maryanne.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the shifting about, move your head slowly or else you might get some whiplash.
Jimi Hendrix, Voodoo Chile Slight Return + HE-500's rock well together. That's what I'm listening to right now.

LOL.  Definitely not for headbanging.  I'm talking about just leaning forward.  Annoying.  Yep, the 500s definitely rock.  I prefer them for some rock over the HE-560s, esp. when the wall-of-sound/expansiveness helps.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #14,880 of 20,386
  Who here wears spectacles?  I have plastic frames and damn they don't half dig into the bit above my ears, both sides become sore very quickly and i'm taking them off and putting them back on, over n over.  Any tips other than change the glasses frame and rotate the cup? 

Found this post
Can't solve the problem still :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back