HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #14,851 of 20,386
Some people, as myself, prefer the clean sound of SS. In such a case you might be barking up the wrong tree when it comes to the 337/339.

And others prefer the sound of a lyr or 337 (or any other good sounding tube amp)...and tbere are even a small amount of crazy bunch of lunatics who love both...i am one of those :D

am already looking into an amp that has best of both worlds for next year..but for now its a secret what it will be...hehehe

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #14,852 of 20,386
And others prefer the sound of a lyr or 337 (or any other good sounding tube amp)...and tbere are even a small amount of crazy bunch of lunatics who love both...i am one of those
biggrin.gif

am already looking into an amp that has best of both worlds for next year..but for now its a secret what it will be...hehehe

But the Lyr is a hybrid, and isn't the 337 all tube?  If so, it's apples and oranges, or maybe Gala vs. Granny Smith 
wink.gif
  The the Lyr is 62% the cost of the 337, and you need more tubes for the latter.

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #14,853 of 20,386

But the Lyr is a hybrid, and isn't the 337 all tube?  If so, it's apples and oranges, or maybe Gala vs. Granny Smith 
wink.gif
  The the Lyr is 62% the cost of the 337, and you need more tubes for the latter.

I thought Hifi likes collecting capacitors. 
confused.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #14,854 of 20,386
I thought Hifi likes collecting capacitors. :confused:  

Hehehehe..u wont believe it..but we have been talking in improving the powersupply even further...yep..bigger of everything :D mmmm maybe i Could suggest to power my amp by a mini nuclear reactor..now that would be fun :D

Before that i liked collecting tubes :D tuberolling is a very dangerous and addictive game..as it can turn out very costly ....i know from experience....but good thing is that the better ones are easily sold to others...i had couple of premium tubes and in a month time i sold 4pairs for excellent prices...it helped me to help finance my totally emotional, not intended in advance, and not budgetted buy of my code-x end of last year..( i intended to buy a he6 in febr. this year) still..imho one of my best purchases ever..never regretted that impulse buy.. :D

And for thurstonx ... Mate..i dont know where u get the 62% from...if u order directly from shengzen the 337 only costs 598usd and the lyr2 costs 449usd...thats not 62% :wink: but ur right...tubes for 337 costs a bit more, as u need two pairs..(but the driver tubes are mostly inexpensive!)..especially if u get premium NOS matched pairs of HUGE power tubes...some pairs costs way more then 300usd...but as always..u can get as crazy as u want...there are lots of good sounding tubes which are inexpensive to get for the 337. :cool:

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #14,855 of 20,386
Hehehehe..u wont believe it..but we have been talking in improving the powersupply even further...yep..bigger of everything
biggrin.gif
mmmm maybe i Could suggest to power my amp by a mini nuclear reactor..now that would be fun
biggrin.gif

Before that i liked collecting tubes
biggrin.gif
tuberolling is a very dangerous and addictive game..as it can turn out very costly ....i know from experience....but good thing is that the better ones are easily sold to others...i had couple of premium tubes and in a month time i sold 4pairs for excellent prices...it helped me to help finance my totally emotional, not intended in advance, and not budgetted buy of my code-x end of last year..( i intended to buy a he6 in febr. this year) still..imho one of my best purchases ever..never regretted that impulse buy..
biggrin.gif

And for thurstonx ... Mate..i dont know where u get the 62% from...if u order directly from shengzen the 337 only costs 598usd and the lyr2 costs 449usd...thats not 62%
wink.gif
but ur right...tubes for 337 costs a bit more, as u need two pairs..(but the driver tubes are mostly inexpensive!)..especially if u get premium NOS matched pairs of HUGE power tubes...some pairs costs way more then 300usd...but as always..u can get as crazy as u want...there are lots of good sounding tubes which are inexpensive to get for the 337.
cool.gif

Collecting tubes is like collection those little porcelain figurines, except tubes can actually sing.

re: 337, I went to that link you post.  The one that sells for under $600 requires shipping that costs at least $150 or so.  The $725 one has free shipping.  What. Ever.  I hope you do better research and math on your job 
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #14,856 of 20,386
Hehehehe..u wont believe it..but we have been talking in improving the powersupply even further...yep..bigger of everything
biggrin.gif
mmmm maybe i Could suggest to power my amp by a mini nuclear reactor..now that would be fun
biggrin.gif

Before that i liked collecting tubes
biggrin.gif
tuberolling is a very dangerous and addictive game..as it can turn out very costly ....i know from experience....but good thing is that the better ones are easily sold to others...i had couple of premium tubes and in a month time i sold 4pairs for excellent prices...it helped me to help finance my totally emotional, not intended in advance, and not budgetted buy of my code-x end of last year..( i intended to buy a he6 in febr. this year) still..imho one of my best purchases ever..never regretted that impulse buy..
biggrin.gif

And for thurstonx ... Mate..i dont know where u get the 62% from...if u order directly from shengzen the 337 only costs 598usd and the lyr2 costs 449usd...thats not 62%
wink.gif
but ur right...tubes for 337 costs a bit more, as u need two pairs..(but the driver tubes are mostly inexpensive!)..especially if u get premium NOS matched pairs of HUGE power tubes...some pairs costs way more then 300usd...but as always..u can get as crazy as u want...there are lots of good sounding tubes which are inexpensive to get for the 337.
cool.gif

Tube Rolling vs. Capacitor Aggregation.
Gee I wonder why most power amps for speakers that deliver far more wattage driving a far lower impedance than any headphone amp does, seems to get along without a truckload of capacitors? Makes one wonder, when is enough, simply enough.

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #14,857 of 20,386
Tube Rolling vs. Capacitor Aggregation.
Gee I wonder why most power amps for speakers that deliver far more wattage driving a far lower impedance than any headphone amp does, seems to get along without a truckload of capacitors? Makes one wonder, when is enough, simply enough.
i wonder which power amps ur talking about..as most higher end mono poweramps i ever heard (and owned two in past) have HUGE of everything and weigh a ton...and my back can back me up on that when i decided to change the room a bit...ouch... :xf_eek:

But as i also said..i dont have experience with nowadays/recent speaker amps....maybe now its all about lighter stuff in the amps...dont know...as i dont own any 2 channel speaker amp at the moment, only a multichannel onkyo amp from 2009 with only 7x110w (7.2 channels) and only 25lbs..but..seeing the weight of some of recent BC speaker power amp range (NSL is 65lbs)..or mcintosh (250lbs for their topmodel) range i dont see poweramps that are on a diet..they are heavy..and yep..expensive :D

Soooo lets say some brands go the light way..others go bezerk on heavy stuff inside their poweramps...i dont care whhats inside..as long it sound wonderbar (wonderful) through the speakers or headphone :D

And many budgetminded amp brands just put enough in their amps to barely drive it to the specs they sell it for..other use a huge amount of reserves...its up to u to decide what u think is best...its same question as with why some buy amps of multi thousands of dollars while u can drive same headphone with a 300usd amp... And u get same discussion...between SAME kind of people....whats to much? And whats just enough? And when is enough enough?

And as far i understand the capacitators are not for power (watts)..but for reseves when u do need that peak to be played correctly....its nothing about extra watts...its a way to provide enough push to play all those extreme peaks when needed...and those HUGE power amps for speakers have lots of space to put humongous transformers etc in them..so they normally domt need a huge capacitator bank..BUt a headphone amp is MUCH smaller..so same transformer wont fit..so they are weaker...and need help..and capacitators provide the reserves and they are much smaller....but ur the techie so u should know why brands use capacitators on their amps...so i didnt need to explain it in my simple emglish :p

But i know where u coming from...everything that costs just a bit more is in ur eyes always to much...as so an amp with huge amount of capacitator capacity is in ur eyes rubbish, As u believe an amp without those sound just the same ......right????? Or how about hardwired internals angainst normal wiring? For u it wont change anything for the amp... And i can go on and on and on....u will always stick to ur idea that an amp is just a power delivery thingie..nothing more nothing less....so why spend more then a few hundred of dollars..they all are the same ...right? :D

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #14,859 of 20,386
Lol, I bet your blue circle amp could play for minutes with no power due to the caps :)
Do you know how much power it draws?

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #14,862 of 20,386
Lol, I bet your blue circle amp could play for minutes with no power due to the caps :)
Do you know how much power it draws?

I dont know..but he warned me never to open up the powersupply before being switched off from wallsocket for 15min, as it could be dangerous

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #14,863 of 20,386
I dont know..but he warned me never to open up the powersupply before being switched off from wallsocket for 15min, as it could be dangerous

I doubt that you would have need to open the powersupply. Or was he concerned that, "Curiosity killed the cat?" 
biggrin.gif
 Probably not enough voltage to directly hurt a human but enough to zap any metal coming in contact accross the rails, like an errant screwdriver, etc.

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #14,864 of 20,386
They were so overbudget on capacitors they didn't include a power switch.  :D

Damn..u lost it now...hehehe

Seriously though....my amp needs to be ON always to be on optimal operational temp..those capacitators need constant current to be totally charged 24/7 i understand..i actually tested it in real life: as u remember i took my stuff to a high end audio shop here in the netherlands as they were curious how their own new headphone amp would compare to mine (they knew blue circle already).. So i drove 80km..my amp was off for at least 10hrs..and when we switched it on....sounded not like my amp at all..at first we thought it was not connected right..or that iriver mediacenter 19 had some filters active all of sudden as it sounded lifeless and dull...bass was gone..midrage was rediculusly fakesounding and the treble..well..lets say i thought my headphone was broken..but all was fine..we tried with my BC filtering..that made it worse..so then they let me hear their totl headphone amp...and said..u see...our amp has more passion...i was stunned and wanted to leave after an hour...but then i remembered gilbert saying that the amp needs at least 5hrs of current to even come close to its optimal performance..so we listened for two hours to their totl speaker set (i uploaded pics of that here on this thread if i am nit mistaken).. Huge pink horns those speakers had..but the sound!!!!! OMG!!!!

So at 19:00 (i arrived at 10am!) we tried my amp again...even a customer, who heared the speaker set in the listening room, came by and wanted to hear my simple looking amp and my weird looking (no joke! They never heard of hifiman!) code-x....mi was nevervous as hell...as i always said this amp sounds like nothing else...so i tried him first with innuendo...sacd quality....YEAH!!!! Almost totally back i thought...the customer said it sounded very good, but that his own custom headphone amp (worth 16.000euro!!!! Was dual mono tube!!) sounded a bit with more passion...
I stayed there until 22:00pm...only until then my amp was back to its normal soundsignature...we all agreed that for the money it was a very good soundin amp...

My point...i cant switch of my amp..as then it sounds very inferior..my 337 needed at least 30min playing time to sound optimal also....and no..no placebo..as i was really doubting my amp was broken..that bad it sounded compared to when he is optimal...funny is that my electricity bill is not higher then when i had the modded 337.. But hey..that amp coukd warm up part of my room when switched on for a while...so it probably used lots of electricity...but am sure if i used a magni my bill would maybe be much lower..but am glad i dont need to care about that :wink:

.so gilberts suggestion was to minimize the wiring and scratch the powerbutton/switch...and less wiring is less inteference in the signal :wink:

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #14,865 of 20,386
Yikes, what is the total capacitance per rail? Measured in Faradsn of course, no need for fractional values. Good news, Lockeed says that they will be able to make a portable fusion reactor in about 10 years that will fit on back of a truck. All this to power a pair of Code-X or HE-500's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back