HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #931 of 20,386

Quote:
I just received the new 'version' of HE-500. The cable looks as it is the HE-6 cable. It is indeed flexible and light (one of my main complaints about the old one). A second 'leather' pad set is included. Unfortunately I missed the new reduced price 
frown.gif

Quote:
Just realized my new pair is the old version :frowning2:

Thats what I get from not buying from head direct I imagine.

The version that I got and took the above picture is the 'intermediate' version. The 'new' version has silver cable, thicker pleather pads (actually, they just insert a foam ring) and the new velour ones.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #932 of 20,386
I have the thinner pads, 1 spare, and the Canare cable I believe.

Quote:
Quote:

The version that I got and took the above picture is the 'intermediate' version. The 'new' version has silver cable, thicker pleather pads (actually, they just insert a foam ring) and the new velour ones.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #934 of 20,386
Just arrived 2 days ago, purchased from Amazon.com from seller Kraft Street Audio LLC.  I only bought on Amazon because the EF-5 was going for $399, and the cans, amp, and dac were all fulfilled by Amazon and therefore shipped together.  Otherwise I would have bought the cans from head direct.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #935 of 20,386

Quote:
Just arrived 2 days ago, purchased from Amazon.com from seller Kraft Street Audio LLC.  I only bought on Amazon because the EF-5 was going for $399, and the cans, amp, and dac were all fulfilled by Amazon and therefore shipped together.  Otherwise I would have bought the cans from head direct.

Personally, I thought that the canare cable was too heavy, big and cumbersome, it was the only thing I really hated on the 1st version of HE-500. If you do not feel that way, then it is not big deal, you can buy the new pads from head-direct, they are quite cheap, but the cable’s cost is significant. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #936 of 20,386
The cable is not ideal but also does not pose a problem for me.

Quote:

Personally, I thought that the canare cable was too heavy, big and cumbersome, it was the only thing I really hated on the 1st version of HE-500. If you do not feel that way, then it is not big deal, you can buy the new pads from head-direct, they are quite cheap, but the cable’s cost is significant. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #937 of 20,386

Quote:
Just realized my new pair is the old version :frowning2:

Thats what I get from not buying from head direct I imagine.

Did you at least get the new cable?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 29, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #940 of 20,386

Quote:
Mine came with the new cable but the plug is 1/8" not 1/4" like your pic.

If you mean the picture 9 posts above, it was the copper HE-6-like cable with 1/8" plug. In this 1/8" plug is attached a 1/8" to 1/4" convertor which was included on the HE-500 package. I bought HE-500 on Nov 2011. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #941 of 20,386
I've just joined HE500 family this month. It replaced my HD800 & T1 as my favorite currently.
After one week with it, I decided to to do some test myself.

I used NFB-12 as source&amp. Measured with blue snow ball condenser microphone. 
The software used was ARTA.

Here's the result:
CSD:

Bust Decay:

THD at 50Hz:

THD at 70Hz:

THD at 100Hz:

THD at 200Hz:

THD at 400Hz:

THD at 800Hz:

THD at 1000Hz:

THD at 2000Hz:

THD at 4000Hz:

THD at 6000Hz:

THD at 8000Hz:

THD at 10000Hz:

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #942 of 20,386

Quote:
Hallo Peter. 
smile.gif

Yes, I am afraid that there is. The same as in loaner. But maybe you can use a different set of ear pads (like the DT990 ones) which, I believe, are thicker.

EDIT: These metal bars are on both sides of the cans. It can be seen in the pictures here (only for the out side).

same thickness from my measurements, the dt990 pads with the spacer measure the same to me as the new velour pads, and they feel a little bit squishier(less resistance).  I haven't put them on my head yet, but I'll see.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #943 of 20,386

Quote:
I've just joined HE500 family this month. It replaced my HD800 & T1 as my favorite currently.
After one week with it, I decided to to do some test myself.

I used NFB-12 as source&amp. Measured with blue snow ball condenser microphone. 
The software used was ARTA.

Very interesting,Thank you for this!
I suppose you didn't use a dummy head, but then how do you managed to make an effective seal for correct Low Frequency measurements? 
What power / SPL level did you use for the THD measurements? 

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #944 of 20,386

Quote:
Hallo Peter. 
smile.gif

Yes, I am afraid that there is. The same as in loaner. But maybe you can use a different set of ear pads (like the DT990 ones) which, I believe, are thicker.

EDIT: These metal bars are on both sides of the cans. It can be seen in the pictures here (only for the out side).

Hello Panos, thank you for info. I was really hoping, now that HE-500 are cheaper, that I will buy them but I still have nightmares about that metal bar. These could be the perfect cans if they were as comfortable as HE-300.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #945 of 20,386

Quote:
Hello Panos, thank you for info. I was really hoping, now that HE-500 are cheaper, that I will buy them but I still have nightmares about that metal bar. These could be the perfect cans if they were as comfortable as HE-300.

If you haven't done it already, do check HE-400. It appears that it does not have this metal bar and it sound quality is not too distand from HE-500 (according to what fellow head-fiers are saying). As a bonus it is really much cheaper and a tad lighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back