HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #916 of 20,386
As a new owner of the HE-500 I guess I won't know what the old pads sounded like but I can say coming from the LCD-2 rev2 there isn't a difference in clarity.  There is a difference is tone and texture as the Audeze has its own house sound but the HE-500 isn't by any means muddy in the vocals with the pads I received. 

Can you guys define "clutter" to me?  To me clutter signifies a lack of clarity and focus.  With the pads that came from Hifiman last week I have no problem with vocals.  There isn't thing missing in terms of clarity and focus nor am I hearing any type of veil over the vocals.  Maybe I got a lucky pair of pads.      

And if the old pads are great, what is the next best thing that can be obtained for modding?  I'm all for trying to get the best out of my headphones so if a little tweaking can have a big pay off I'm game.  

Quote:
Update: Removed the "new and improved velour pads". Wow. The HE-500 sound is back. Thanks. :) New isn't always better. QED.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #917 of 20,386
I might mount the DT990 velour pads on the HE-500 tomorrow. The new denser velour pads indeed "clutter" the HE-500 vocals. You got to listen to the 271mkII velour pads to understand it. If you have "only" listended to the denser velour pads, the HE-500's capabilities regarding altered sound signature is hard to comprehend. Pads alter the sound on any (i.e. the one I have listened to) headphone far more than most DAC, amps - and God forbid - cables.

Ear pads is NOT hyperbole...

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #918 of 20,386
Mounted the original velour pads back on - and - ah - that was back to normal.

I have become quite fond off the original (pads) HE-500 on the LP / Violectric products. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #919 of 20,386
Everything but my cables arrived yesterday, cables today!  Pictures (phone) of my unboxing: http://imgur.com/a/T0RD7

What I bought:
  • HE-500
  • EF-5 (was on sale for $400 on Amazon)
  • Audioengine D1
  • Emotiva RCA cables

Upon putting these on for the first time, 3 things immediately come to mind:
  • OH MY GOD THESE ARE COMFORTABLE!
  • They are indeed very heavy
  • These are built for a BIG head.  My HD598s I have somewhere around 5 ticks extended, these I have to keep as small as they can go.

Initial sound is amazing (though I don't have anything better to compare to).  I will review further after burnin and more hours.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #920 of 20,386
Where you buying your DT990 pads from?  If there is more magic with these pads I definitely want to try them out.  

Quote:
I might mount the DT990 velour pads on the HE-500 tomorrow. The new denser felour pads indeed "clutter" the HE-500 vocals. You got to listen to the 271mkII velour pads to understand it. If you have "only" listended to the denser velour pads, the HE-500's capabilities regarding altered sound signature is hard to comprehend. Pads alter the sound on any (i.e. the one I have listened to) headphone far more than most DAC, amps - and God forbid - cables.

Ear pads is NOT hyperbole...

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #921 of 20,386

• Agree
  • That depends
  • Agree. Chinese heads are crazy big.

The DT990 is bought from BHPhotoVideo.com (NY) or Thomann )Germany). It boils down to your appetite.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #922 of 20,386
Going crazy today: Just hooked the HE-500 to the Rega Brio-R. Does the HE-6 little brother scale well? You tell me - guess what; yes. :)

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #923 of 20,386
They sure are built for a big head. Us small headed people need at least a 1/2 inch of foam to get them to fit.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #925 of 20,386

Quote:
Going crazy today: Just hooked the HE-500 to the Rega Brio-R. Does the HE-6 little brother scale well? You tell me - guess what; yes. :)

Almost 10 solid watts for this poor HE-500!

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #927 of 20,386

Quote:
I just received the new 'version' of HE-500. The cable looks as it is the HE-6 cable. It is indeed flexible and light (one of my main complaints about the old one). A second 'leather' pad set is included. Unfortunately I missed the new reduced price 
frown.gif

Are there still metal bars running across the cans (from the inside of the cup)?

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #929 of 20,386
Just realized my new pair is the old version :frowning2:

Thats what I get from not buying from head direct I imagine.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #930 of 20,386

Quote:
Are there still metal bars running across the cans (from the inside of the cup)?

Hallo Peter. 
smile.gif

Yes, I am afraid that there is. The same as in loaner. But maybe you can use a different set of ear pads (like the DT990 ones) which, I believe, are thicker.

EDIT: These metal bars are on both sides of the cans. It can be seen in the pictures here (only for the out side).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back