HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #8,446 of 20,386
Maybe it would sound better :p

Maybe..but then again the price should be 100usd then..and not $$$$$$$$$$$ ..so am just being careful not getting to deep into the emotiva crowd..i already said the emotiva is a steal and the only choice for a he500 for a budget amp under 500usd..u cant expect more from me..being a hardcore headphone amp lover for headphones.. :D

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #8,447 of 20,386
Maybe..but then again the price should be 100usd then..and not $$$$$$$$$$$ ..so am just being careful not getting to deep into the emotiva crowd..i already said the emotiva is a steal and the only choice for a he500 for a budget amp under 500usd..u cant expect more from me..being a hardcore headphone amp lover for headphones..
biggrin.gif

IMO, At under $800, I will still buy the Emotiva. 
tongue.gif
  I have listened to the HE500 on enough amps already to quantify my willingness.

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #8,448 of 20,386
This is an awesome pairing!

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #8,449 of 20,386
IMO, At under $800, I will still buy the Emotiva.  :p   I have listened to the HE500 on enough amps already to quantify my willingness.

U know a standard 337 with bendix 6080wb graphite colums and rca 5693 redhots in it is still under usd 800...right??. And u know how i think about that amp... 600usd..i can agree..but over 700 there are better amps then ur beloved emotiva.. Am now listening to a onkyo speaker amp that costed me around 1000 euros (1350 usd)..and it sounds just ****ty..am now listening very carefully..and it sounds like the furutech plug of the headphone cable doesnt completely go inside (hope u guys know what i mean) the headphone hole of the amp..the soundstage is so so so so inferior compared to my evil one and the mids sound cold as ice to my ears....
U just cant place the instuments like i could on the evil one..like closing ur eyes and actualy hearing one player BEHIND the other..or one sitting higher then the other...not just left and right..or hearing a very low second (devilish)voice under the very highpitched female leadsinger (like some metallica groups do) u can hear the other voice..but u cant understand what he says..with my evil one i could clearly hear what kind of evil thingies he was preaching..lolz...

Sorry but Althogether its like the sound gets pushed into a small can..and gets out on the smaller side..cant say it differently! I cant imagine people liking this.. Or people just dont know what a really GOOD amp really sounds like on a he500... Imho

Strange thing is that this amp sound stupendoes good on my multichannel speaker set with two seperate huge subwoofers..so real!! Its like ur in the movie!!
But with the he500... I stopped listening just now..couldnt bare the cold almost one dimensional sound... Just left and right..no depth..no soundstage that i can call soundstage..am i spoiled by the evil one?

Bu i admit..the bass punches much stronger..but treble was unbearable clear..so if people consider that a ultimate sound..be my guest..i prefer the ambiance, smoothness,control, and warmth and midrange and Huge soundstage of the evil one..

miss him already..but this time i lost him for good..its sold to a musical lover who i dont know... How will i survive without hearing to my he500 for at least 2 months?? OMG!!! A not kidding guys..this is serious..my music always helped me with my stressy life.. And i cant play music on my main set as that system is always busy playing movies or series by the family...and at night i cant play ofcourse... Wha a f..cked up situation.. My new amp will only be finished end of nov..so i will only have it here just before christmas...
For the record...i dont hate speaker amps..as i love the amp i own..but only for my speakers...not he500.. Maybe a he6 would sound good..dont know...

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #8,450 of 20,386
and it sounds just ****ty..am now listening very carefully..and it sounds like the plug of the headphone doesnt go inside the headphone hole of the amp..the soundstage is so so so so bad compared to my evil one and the mids sound cold.. U just cant place the instuments like i could on the evil one..like closing ur eyes and actualy hearing one player BEHIND the other..or hearing a very low second voice ipunder the female leadsinger (like evensense does!) u can hear the other voice..but u cant understand what he says..with my evil one i could clearly hear what kind of devilish thingies he was singing..lolz... Althogether its like the sound got pushed into a small can.. I cant imagine people liking this.. Or people just dont know what a GOOD amp really sounds like on a he500...

Huh?

They are talking about using a small amp with a common ground via speaker taps to send current to a head phone (the Mini X sounds quit good actually) you are plugging it into the headphone jack of a HTR receiver.  You are comparing apples and oranges.

*disclaimer this is not a personal insult, no need to get upset.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #8,451 of 20,386

Maybe..but then again the price should be 100usd then..and not $$$$$$$$$$$ ..so am just being careful not getting to deep into the emotiva crowd..i already said the emotiva is a steal and the only choice for a he500 for a budget amp under 500usd..u cant expect more from me..being a hardcore headphone amp lover for headphones..
biggrin.gif

IMO, At under $800, I will still buy the Emotiva. 
tongue.gif
  I have listened to the HE500 on enough amps already to quantify my willingness.

Yup, that's the conclusion I came to. The emotiva slightly edged the Little Dot MKVI+ unit I had, with all kinds of tube rolling, etc. The extra power really added a ton of control over the bass.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #8,453 of 20,386
Huh?

They are talking about using a small amp with a common ground via speaker taps to send current to a head phone (the Mini X sounds quit good actually) you are plugging it into the headphone jack of a HTR receiver.  You are comparing apples and oranges.

*disclaimer this is not a personal insult, no need to get upset.

Ofcourse i dont get upset myfriend...am a changed man remember ?

BUT..as u guys maybe know i had a very high end luxman cd player once (a hybrid with tubes) which i sold this year as vintage gear..and my he500 sounded almost as good on its headphone out as on my evil one... So thats why i thought it would be same as this amp i have now..

Are the newer speaker amps so much worse sounding from the headphone out then the vintage ones? And i cant connect my headphone to my amp directly as it would kill it..it has 7x100 watts on it... :wink:

And honestly.. I heard lots of amps until now..also premium higher end models (above 1000usd) of these brands..like musical fidelity, burson, woo audio wa 2, crack, v200. Etc... And until now not one sounded better then that particular amp i just sold with my he500 and it paired even better with the hd650!!! That last one was really a match in heaven guys!!! Maybe because it was not suruppy and slow And clearer sounding like ur regular tube amp? Dont know..

Its not a perfect amp..i never said that..its very picky what headphones u connect to it!!

The 337 doesnt do well with the he6,hd800/700 (very bad!), and the audezes lcd2.2 and lcd 3.. It gets totally smacked (and in certain situations by a BIG MARGIN!.. I am that realistic) by lots of other amps driving those..but for the he500/400 and the hd600/650 ..no contest in its price catagory..or u have u spend much much more on any amp..speaker or headphone amp...

Disclaimer: my amp was all but standard..the previous owner had it modded for more then 600euro (700usd?) he told me... So that is maybe the reason why it sounded so real? And Not tubey at all?? More a mix of a tubeamp with an strong ss headphone amp... Well... I heard BC amps are one of the best sounding amps around.. Lets hope mine will be also..lolz

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #8,454 of 20,386
I enjoy the 337 as well, that being said the HE500 does actually sound really good off of the Emotiva. I thought the same thing about using a vintage receiver and tapping it, it is not the same what-so-ever. I own a few lower to mid range vintage receivers (Yamaha 1020, Pioneer SX-980 and etc.) My modern receiver is an RX-A3000 and it as well does not work as the Emotiva does at powering the HE-500 with a black back ground and the dynamics.  I am sure it has something to do with the ohm output or the grounding, but alas I do not have the scientific knowledge to answer that.  I guess my point is do not knock it until you try it (I know I did).  I actually really like the Mad Dogs off of it as well.

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #8,455 of 20,386
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #8,456 of 20,386
Has anyone tried the HE500 from a NAD amp such as the 326bee?

I am interested if it would work... Obviously it will work from the headphone jack but I mean from the speaker taps...

This amp I have (326bee) has 2 sets of speaker posts.... I was thinking I could have one connected to speakers and one to HE500 and use the switch on the front to switch between input A / B...

This would mean an upgrade to HE500 would cost me the price of a HE500 + a modded cable, as opposed to HE500 + headphone amp.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #8,457 of 20,386
My Yamaha RX-A3010 also sounds a bit noisy with the Emotiva. I don't think the quality of AVR amplifiers are all that good especially on recent models. Too many gimmicks and licensing fees that needs to be paid before there is money available for amplifiers... 

The pre-amps on most AVRs are quite decent quality and listening through the Myryad MXA 5150 connected to the RX-A3010 on the HE-500s is quite an experience. It is a multichannel power amplifier with 5 x 150W mono block modules. I just made very sure the volume was all the way down before I connected it! 

The Emotiva does come very close and considering the substantial difference in price I don't think there is anything that can touch the Mini-X below $700. Just find a nice DAC for it and I don't think you ever have to look at another amplifier for your HE-500s again. I'd rather spend the money of the HE-6 or whatever flagship Hifiman comes up with in the future. I'm also looking very forward to the launch of the Audeze LCD X!

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #8,458 of 20,386
Why no love for Audio GD. Their Amp/DAC combo seem to have very good specs and very attractive price point compared to the mid-fi players. I have not used their products, merely asking opinions... I do like to know how they sound with the HE-500

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #8,459 of 20,386
Why no love for Audio GD. Their Amp/DAC combo seem to have very good specs and very attractive price point compared to the mid-fi players. I have not used their products, merely asking opinions... I do like to know how they sound with the HE-500

I agree..audio gd makes good stuff for the money they ask for it.. Especially their more higher end stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back