HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #6,497 of 20,374
Quote:

thanks man for ur fast review .....now i want my pads even more!!! aaaarrrggghhh
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #6,498 of 20,374
Jul 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #6,500 of 20,374
Quote:
Step #2 is only if you want a shorter cable like in my case.  The sleeve go over the entire main section and the L/R cables.  Heat shrink tubes are for holding the sleeve in place at the 1/4 plug, at the "Y" and at the cup connectors.  Plan ahead with the all heat shrink tubes and put them in before soldering, but after sleeving  of course.

Sorry, I let your post pass.

I think I got it now. I'll look for some sleeve tomorrow.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #6,501 of 20,374
@Hifimanrookie Argh, many questions... Stax first: They need a special amplfier, and there aren't that many to chooe from. Simple as that, if you want power and enough of it, you gotta pay for it. Proper Stat amps are expensive.. Also, there is the fact that Stax in general has charged more for the amp than the headphone throughout history. That is when you buy a typical Stax system and don't go for the cheapest one available... So there are more expensive amps on the market compared to the actual headspeakers, I guess.

You seem to talk about how you can always hear the differences on high quality files. Must say I am sceptical. You should try for yourself and see how hard differentiating something as simple as 128 kbit/s ogg or aac can be.

Anywayz, speaker amps are made to deliver a hell of a lot of current compared to many headphone amps. Most speakers have an impedance around 2-8 ohms, and you need amps that can deliver enough current into those bastards. They are even way more insensitive than headphones. Else, I guess the difference between speaker and headphone amps are minor...

General question: How does output impedance of an amp affect fullsize speakers?

thanks for the explanations about stax and speaker amps davidsh...didnt know that about the staxes...good info!

yes..ofcourse i can hear a difference between a 128Kbits/s and a flac/wav of 1500Kbits/s  everyone can! i mean...on my amp i can!! i can guess if ur amp is not very good in detail and instrument placement and soundstage u wont hear a lot of difference..or not so easy to hear...

as i said...the more i improved my rig..the better the output became...being amp modding/balanced cables/powercables/anti vibrations thingies (tube amps are horrible with microphobics!), tube rolling or headphone modding...it got better and better..and so i could hear differences easier and easier...

now a 128-256 kbit/s sounds awfull..as if i am listening in a tunnel (narrow soundstaget and depth) compared to a <1000Kbit/s lossless flac or wav..(on my mstage i didnt hear a big difference between the two by the way..!) or directly from a cd from my OPPO...but once again..i dont use a pc as source! i use a very musical DAP as my source with a very high gain.

but its all to my ears ofcourse (or my brain :D )..and they are very sensitive as i said before....loud volume is painful to my ears...as is extreme treble in music..it gives me headaches and ringing in my ears...but i can hear the smallest nuances in music...i see that as a challenge..everytime i do something to my rig (like the jerg grill mod the other day) i lay down on my comfy chair and start a many hours listening session to see if i can hear new (or changed) things in the music...and until now..i did with every change in my rig.....and i will keep on doing this until the sound will get worse or no change will be found...i think i am at the max for this rig now..with everything i changed or upgraded...next step would be selling my hm602 (or only use it portable as it is intended with a good portable smaller headphone) and my 337 and get a new better amp/dac instead and guess what i did just recently... :wink:

Ohh, I was talking 128 kbit ogg in an ABX test, forgot to mention that.

I want to note, that you can't in any way compare position of the volume pot between amps.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #6,502 of 20,374
Quote:
Ohh, I was talking 128 kbit ogg in an ABX test, forgot to mention that.

I want to note, that you can't in any way compare position of the volume pot between amps.

noted.
biggrin.gif
.i already found it strange that my amp had same position in volume as urs as being listenable.

about the ogg thingie...as far i know my source cant play them (hm602)...only wav, flac and mp3...so..sorry..cant test it.
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #6,503 of 20,374
The only thing I liked better with the 400 was the 3d sound stage
I could hardly listen to female vocals so shrill
The 500 has a much better over all sound
As far as amps I use the lyr 6 watts power and quality sound for a very reasonable price
As far as after market cable try DHC great cable and Peter is very good to deal with

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #6,504 of 20,374
Quote:
I tried that wrapped sleeve too but found that it doesn't work well on small cables in HPs and cables that got moved around a lot like in our case.

Yeah, being slit it probably would tend to open up unless you put a lot of tape, then it would get too stiff from the tape.  Oh well.  A nice silk sleeve or similar would be better anyway.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #6,505 of 20,374
Quote:
noted.
biggrin.gif
.i already found it strange that my amp had same position in volume as urs as being listenable.

about the ogg thingie...as far i know my source cant play them (hm602)...only wav, flac and mp3...so..sorry..cant test it.
redface.gif

Oh well, you need a computer to do ABX testing anyway. I am just trying to say, no matter how superior you think your hearing is, even 128 kbit ogg or aac would be a challenge to get right all the time.  256 kbit would probably very hard, and I bet you will start to be a bit unreliable in your guessing at this point. That is being optimistic, though. But... No reason to discuss it really, just don't want anyone to fool themselves.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #6,506 of 20,374
Quote:
Oh well, you need a computer to do ABX testing anyway. I am just trying to say, no matter how superior you think your hearing is, even 128 kbit ogg or aac would be a challenge to get right all the time.  256 kbit would probably very hard, and I bet you will start to be a bit unreliable in your guessing at this point. That is being optimistic, though. But... No reason to discuss it really, just don't want anyone to fool themselves.

right....
biggrin.gif
and who said anything about people having superior hearing? some are just a little bit deafer then others
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #6,507 of 20,374

The test also depends on the recording. With some recordings it will be tough while with others it's easier.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #6,509 of 20,374
Quote:
I'm actually thinking about downgrading my set up.

Any opinions guys?

downgrading from lyr and bifrost? or just the he500?
the hd650 could be a cheaper alternative for the he500..and then get a cheaper (chinese) tube amp like the darkvoice 3322 instead of the lyr as those pair very well with the hd650..for the dac i dont know any other downgrade i could advice imho as the bifrost is already a lower budget model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back