HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 23, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #6,406 of 20,386
just got my new DAC!!

the HE-500 sound really good now!!! no more veil! 

i can't believe how transparent they are and their soundstage. they sound REALLY GOOD!!!

Congrats on ur new mytek..thats ur new one right?:wink:

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #6,407 of 20,386
Quote:
modulor, which DAC are you looking into?  I am thinking about moving E17/E9K to the office and get a good DAC at home to feed the Emo.
At least, for a while and also I want to experience what a better DAC can do over all.  So far, I've tried upgrading HPs, amps already.

What a good DAC can do IME is to add more and often a better perspective to the music. Actually, I think that is a good way to describe it.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #6,408 of 20,386
yes i got mytek 192 dac last night. picked it up locally in chicago

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #6,409 of 20,386
Quote:
modulor, which DAC are you looking into?  I am thinking about moving E17/E9K to the office and get a good DAC at home to feed the Emo.
At least, for a while and also I want to experience what a better DAC can do over all.  So far, I've tried upgrading HPs, amps already.

I'll be picking up the little known JoLida Glass-FX Tube DAC MKII.  The manufacturer is small and fairly local to my area, and a friend of mine works in a shop that's an authorized retailer.  I first heard it at a local meetup, as a mutual friend of ours brought his along to demo.  Honestly, to my ear it was not far off from other high end units I was testing at the time like the Bel Canto 3.5, Resonessence Labs Invicta and a rare 'vintage' Timbre TT-1.  Of course they all have their own sonic characteristics and advantages/disadvantages, but I'd classify them as musical units and I'd say the same of the JoLida...that's mostly what I'm after, a good balance of refinement and technical ability with musical bliss and pure enjoyment.  Among other things the JoLida does well, it has a spacious, naturally dimensional soundstage, which was like icing on the cake with the HE-500.  Hopefully it will have good overall synergy in the long run with the HE-500 and my system in general, but based on my demo I have little doubts about it.  The few reviews I've found all praise it for it's capability at it's price range, and I mostly trust my ears so I can agree with them...the price is like extra fancy icing 
cool.gif
 it's one of the best bang for your buck units I've found, which is good because I couldn't afford one of the other pricier units anyway. 
tongue.gif

There is an upgrade modification that the manufacturer performs that involves swapping the output caps, a full internal rewire and replacement of the connectors and tubes.  I think they sell some units pre-modded, so I'm debating on whether to get one of those, or just stick with the standard model.  Later, I could consider performing the upgrades myself or take it to the manufacturer to have it modded (which would be covered under their warranty).  In it's stock form though, it sounded soo good IMO, but naturally I'm curious how the upgraded model fares in comparison.

Has anyone else here heard this DAC before?

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #6,410 of 20,386
Quote:
Has anyone else here heard this DAC before?

Wide soundstage, sacrifice some details for a warm, musical presentation. Try rolling some 5751 in, huge improvement over the stock 12ax7 (I think it's tung-sol reissue?) imo.

My main gripe with it is that the cost of fancy valves, upgraded output cap all together can buy a better dac 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #6,411 of 20,386
Quote:

Wide soundstage, sacrifice some details for a warm, musical presentation. Try rolling some 5751 in, huge improvement over the stock 12ax7 (I think it's tung-sol reissue?) imo.

My main gripe with it is that the cost of fancy valves, upgraded output cap all together can buy a better dac 
tongue_smile.gif

I'll look into options for swapping out the stock tubes, thanks for the recommendations!  I don't disagree that after the upgrades the cost is similar if not more than other comparable DACs, but at it's entry level it does still perform very well, so it would be easier to start there then work on upgrades and mods later.  What are some other DACs would you'd suggest?  I'm all about hearing other opinions 
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #6,412 of 20,386
Quote:
I'll look into options for swapping out the stock tubes, thanks for the recommendations!  I don't disagree that after the upgrades the cost is similar if not more than other comparable DACs, but at it's entry level it does still perform very well, so it would be easier to start there then work on upgrades and mods later.  What are some other DACs would you'd suggest?  I'm all about hearing other opinions 
biggrin.gif

That's a funny coincidence.  I spent last nite reading up on Jolida tube amps.  They look pretty impressive for the price but I also read a bunch of bad reviews as far as quality and customer service.
Any idea here, modulor?  Do they have an online store that I could order directly from?

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #6,413 of 20,386
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Around the Jolida ballpark or around the Bel Canto ballpark? 
tongue_smile.gif

For starter you could try a Metrum Octave, a modded EE Minimax or a Nad m51.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #6,415 of 20,386
Quote:
That's a funny coincidence.  I spent last nite reading up on Jolida tube amps.  They look pretty impressive for the price but I also read a bunch of bad reviews as far as quality and customer service.
Any idea here, modulor?  Do they have an online store that I could order directly from?

I can't comment on customer service, but I'd be going through a local authorized dealer.  As far a build quality goes, I'd say it's a really nice, solid unit.

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #6,416 of 20,386
i hope this helps with ur search for a dac:

http://www.whathifi.com/awards/2012/dacs

and this:

http://www.alldacinfo.com/?page_id=242

or this:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue66/dsd_dacs.htm

review of the dac of mytek

http://www.hifi-advice.com/mytek-192DSD-review.html

hope it can help u in ur search...

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #6,417 of 20,386
Thank you for the links
beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #6,418 of 20,386
Quote:
Jolida ballpark...Bel Canto and similar are going to be too rich for my blood at this time.

I'll check out those suggestions, thanks again!

the original octave (metrum is dutch company) doesnt have usb input....but the v2 does (but it is more expensive)...and it goes in one enclosure now instead of two as the original one...and its a NOS dac...it sounds very natural...but also very unforgiving to the source! bad input..bad output!

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #6,419 of 20,386
Quote:
the original octave (metrum is dutch company) doesnt have usb input....but the v2 does (but it is more expensive)...and it goes in one enclosure now instead of two as the original one...and its a NOS dac...it sounds very natural...but also very unforgiving to the source! bad input..bad output!

This one may be a good candidate, I'll be using optical anyway so USB is not absolutely necessary.  I've got a few more suggestions now so time to read up on them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #6,420 of 20,386
Quote:
This one may be a good candidate, I'll be using optical anyway so USB is not absolutely necessary.  I've got a few more suggestions now so time to read up on them 
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can DIY, the DDDAC1794 is mighty fine (and cheap, too)

The Metrum Dacs, while quite good, are not for everyone. Best to get an audition rather than reading up the glowing review and blind buy 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back