HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #5,177 of 20,386
Quote:
I'm joining the club real soon. It better be worth the $300 plus to the HE-400.

What do you listen to, I seem to remember that you listen to a lot of EDM?

May 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #5,179 of 20,386
Quote:
Not really. Jazzman here. Really like the HE-400 with this genre, btw. I hope HE-500 doesn't disappoint either.

You will not be disappointed, just give them plenty of time to catch your ear. When i first got mine I gave them an hour or so and thought i liked the HE-400 much more, after a couple of days I appreciated the HE-500 and found it vastly superior.

May 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #5,180 of 20,386
Quote:
You will not be disappointed, just give them plenty of time to catch your ear. When i first got mine I gave them an hour or so and thought i liked the HE-400 much more, after a couple of days I appreciated the HE-500 and found it vastly superior.

I'm essentially doing the same here.  I plan to have both for a small period so I can A-B compare them, but having heard the HE-500 on a few select tracks recently I think they will come out on top overall.

May 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #5,182 of 20,386
Quote:

Same here. For me it took some 3-4 hours before I actually felt I formed a proper opinion on the 400 vs. 500.

May 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #5,184 of 20,386
The box is a bit flaky, I mean its a fancy box not a travel case, but the cans themselves are tanks.

I got the sturdy carying case with my he500 instead of the flashy unusable box :D

May 29, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #5,185 of 20,386
Quote:
Ok so here is the 1st prototype.

It is WAY better looking than I thought (Those pop-fasteners are just perfect) but I'm concerned about a few design choices I made.
I think the 3 rivets (on top of the headband) put too much strain on the elastic - I will probably have to sew the elastic to some fabric, and rivet the fabric instead. 
The two big pop-fasteners (snaps), also seem to put some stress on the elastic.

Also the top part of the headband would be perfect for someone with a VERY small head - the elastic does stretch, but the further it stretches the TIGHTER it gets - which is a design flaw for a 'one size fit's all' solution.
This means that for me, who has a fairly average head size, the headband has a sort of 'upwards' pull and puts some extra pressure on my skull above my ears - which is rather weird.
It's not awfully uncomfortable, but irritating as there is no pressure balance - which means my universe (which always seems to be on a knife-edge) would implode after about 10 minutes of head time 
biggrin.gif

Also I can't really feel the 6 headband rivets, but if you didn't have hair it would be fairly obvious. 
Clearly it needs some work, but any wild ideas are still welcome.

This looks really good - even better than I envisioned haha!  You're definitely on the right track, the snaps and rivets are a very tasteful, yet functional, touch that complements the design.  For the elastic, I would suggest stitching it to the leather for better stability.  Good elastic ribbon (which it looks like you used) is pretty durable, and going a bit thinner may not be a bad thing, and would likely put less pressure on the head.  I'll mull it over the next few days - unfortunately I can't sit down and start working out some prototypes until later this weekend, schedule is packed through Saturday 
frown.gif

May 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #5,186 of 20,386
Quote:
This looks really good - even better than I envisioned haha!  You're definitely on the right track, the snaps and rivets are a very tasteful, yet functional, touch that complements the design.  For the elastic, I would suggest stitching it to the leather for better stability.  Good elastic ribbon (which it looks like you used) is pretty durable, and going a bit thinner may not be a bad thing, and would likely put less pressure on the head.  I'll mull it over the next few days - unfortunately I can't sit down and start working out some prototypes until later this weekend, schedule is packed through Saturday 
frown.gif

I've been experimenting with cutting the elastic thinner, and even at 1/4 the original diameter it still feels too strong. I wanted to use this size elastic for aesthetic reasons, as it's the same diameter as the leather, but it doesn't function as intended. 
And cutting it just ruins it's appearance, as I have to burn the edges with a lighter to seal it to prevent fraying. 
It's back to the drawing board tomorrow. 

May 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #5,187 of 20,386
Im back on the pleather pads, well just trying them out.....man they give out such a different sound. 

Having not listened to them with the pleathers since the day I got them, I am really enjoying the comfort and kind of enjoying the sound this time round, though are not as clear as the velour pads. too me, bass goes up and treble quality goes down!

May 30, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #5,188 of 20,386
Quote:
Im back on the pleather pads, well just trying them out.....man they give out such a different sound. 

Having not listened to them with the pleathers since the day I got them, I am really enjoying the comfort and kind of enjoying the sound this time round, though are not as clear as the velour pads. too me, bass goes up and treble quality goes down!

You know the Jergpads?
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back