HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 2, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #4,666 of 20,386
Quote:
if only it went just a little lower down in the sub-bass it'd be perfect IMO.

See part IV of the jergpad mod linked in my sig. Quick little mod that takes maybe 5 mins and uses nothing more than some double-sided tape, boosts the extension right up.

It's basically what Audeze does with their pads on LCD2/3s, except they provide their "in-house" double sided tape ring. The adhesion of the earpad undersides to the cups seems to be the trick to boosting sub-bass extension.

May 2, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #4,667 of 20,386
so just double sided tape to hold the ring to the headphones? 

ill have to buy some tape when the stores open.

May 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #4,669 of 20,386
Quote:
Can anyone tell me how this song sounds on their he-500? Also I know these excel in vocals but do they sound as good as the he-400 in terms of electronica?

Sounds absolutely amazing...one of my favorite tracks to test with my HE-500s. 

The second half of the song is just amazing...so vibrant and live. 

May 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #4,670 of 20,386
Quote:
so just double sided tape to hold the ring to the headphones? 

ill have to buy some tape when the stores open.

Yes; only use the kind of double-sided tape that is PSA (pressure-sensitive adhesive). E.g. a name-brand tape is 3M bonding tapes.

Like shown with the Audeze earpad installation:

http://audeze.com/padschange

Except we hack it with Hifiman earpads / headphones.

May 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4,671 of 20,386
Quote:
See part IV of the jergpad mod linked in my sig. Quick little mod that takes maybe 5 mins and uses nothing more than some double-sided tape, boosts the extension right up.

It's basically what Audeze does with their pads on LCD2/3s, except they provide their "in-house" double sided tape ring. The adhesion of the earpad undersides to the cups seems to be the trick to boosting sub-bass extension.

Will this work with velours as well?

May 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #4,672 of 20,386
Quote:

Will this work with velours as well?

I dunno, never tried. Maybe it would, but I don't know if the pleather/leather plays some part in sub-bass conduction, or if it's only dependent on the foam in earpads.

May 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #4,673 of 20,386
Anybody know a good cable for a little more lowrange for these? Ive been looking around and havent found much information and what i have found is pretty mixed. Looking for comparisons to stock silver cable. Also using j$ pads if that helps

May 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #4,674 of 20,386
Anybody know a good cable for a little more lowrange for these? Ive been looking around and havent found much information and what i have found is pretty mixed. Looking for comparisons to stock silver cable. Also using j$ pads if that helps

As far i know the silver cable is a silver plated copper cable on the he500... I think any top quality litz 2 copper cable would give u a heavier sound...like toxic cables or norse audio for example. Or get a warmer sounding amp or source.

May 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4,675 of 20,386
I plan on eventually upgrading to a balanced schiit stack which I currently don't have the funds for so I'd like to hold off on any amp/dac upgrades, at least for a couple more months.  I love the look of the Norse cables, but their website says that they aren't currently being made.  Any thoughts on Q Audio cables?  Their cables are a little more pricey, but they also offer a balanced to quarter inch converter that sounds appealing and their cables are also compatible with the Audeze LCD-2 which would make one of their cables a nice long term investment as well when I do eventually re-acquire a pair.  But I would go with Norse audio if I could find a place/person selling one compatible with my HE-500 which is balanced.  I could always find a converter to quarter inch from another location.  Thanks for the help!

Edit: I'm blind Norse's website clearly shows balanced 
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #4,676 of 20,386
I plan on eventually upgrading to a balanced schiit stack which I currently don't have the funds for so I'd like to hold off on any amp/dac upgrades, at least for a couple more months.  I love the look of the Norse cables, but their website says that they aren't currently being made.  Any thoughts on Q Audio cables?  Their cables are a little more pricey, but they also offer a balanced to quarter inch converter that sounds appealing and their cables are also compatible with the Audeze LCD-2 which would make one of their cables a nice long term investment as well when I do eventually re-acquire a pair.  But I would go with Norse audio if I could find a place/person selling one compatible with my HE-500 which is balanced.  I could always find a converter to quarter inch from another location.  Thanks for the help!

Edit: I'm blind Norse's website clearly shows balanced 
biggrin.gif

Just another suggestion: check the toxic cables appreciation thread...they can make u everything u can imagine and in top quality and for reasonable prices... :wink:

May 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #4,678 of 20,386

I'm sorry, but that bottom cable is just sexy beyond words <3.  I'm willing to invest a little more in this cable since I love my he-500s so much, but I certainly have checked out Toxic cables and BTG and find their prices amazing, particularly with LCD-2 cables for looks/value.

May 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #4,680 of 20,386

Check this cable out..its mine :D seperated for left and right..22awg 8wired black widow... LOOK AT THOSE CONNECTORS ON BOTH ENDS!! :D ...its simple and classy design...still have to wait for a few more weeks for my adapter cable from balanced to single ended, and then they will be shipped to me...what an ordeal :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back