HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 20, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #18,033 of 20,386
So after trying basically every pad there is for the 500s (measurements are a few pages back), I'm actually settling on the Brainwavz velours believe it or not. For months I didn't even bother trying them because of how much of a pain I thought it'd be to get them on, but it actually wasn't that bad.

First I tried the angled velours and was surprised. Then I tried the non-angled and I actually like them better even though they're almost identical sounding. The Brainwavz actually measure better than the Audeze vegans, present more detail, and have the same great bass extension that is cleaner sounding. They have more treble than the vegans, but sound less harsh than stock. Overall I'm surprised these haven't been talked about more, as they are my personal favorite currently. Considering how much cheaper they are compared to the vegans, I'd definitely recommend them.

Edit: Rechecked the measurements, also less of a midrange dip. If you're interested:

- Green is Brainwavz angled velour, like I mentioned before I think the regular Brainwavz velour sound slightly better though they're almost identical. 
- Blue is stock velour
- Purple is Audeze vegan
- Yellow is focus pads

(after 10 kHz is inaccurate, notch at 60 Hz is an artifact that shows up in all my measurements)

Audeze vegan vs. Brainwavz velour only: 

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #18,038 of 20,386
I loved the he500 when I had it. But sold it due to the weight . Is there any headphones out there with similar sound or better vocal than he500 ?

no, HE-500 is the best.

There are some people who put the HE-500 drivers in the newer HE-560 assembly to improve comfort but keep the sound the same. I saw one recently in the classifieds too :)

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #18,040 of 20,386
I loved the he500 when I had it. But sold it due to the weight . Is there any headphones out there with similar sound or better vocal than he500 ?

Depends on the amp. With an OTL tube amp, the ZMF Atticus takes down the HE-500 on vocals for sure. The HE-6 and ZMF Omni can also pass up the HE-500 with the right amplification, but that one isn't so cut and dry. The HD800 and the Abyss can really get there with the right setup too, but we are talking about some very select megabuck setups at that point, which probably isn't fair.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #18,041 of 20,386
Depends on the amp. With an OTL tube amp, the ZMF Atticus takes down the HE-500 on vocals for sure. The HE-6 and ZMF Omni can also pass up the HE-500 with the right amplification, but that one isn't so cut and dry. The HD800 and the Abyss can really get there with the right setup too, but we are talking about some very select megabuck setups at that point, which probably isn't fair.

Would you agree, then, that best vocals dollar per dollar speaking as well as least picky in terms of amplifier is the HE-500?

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #18,042 of 20,386
Would you agree, then, that best vocals dollar per dollar speaking as well as least picky in terms of amplifier is the HE-500?

Oh yeah, dollar-for-dollar the HE-500 Is tough to beat. The headphones mentioned above are all twice as expensive or more. The HD600 (and 650, if you roll like that) make a good argument, but IMO, the HE500 still wins the day in most cases.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #18,043 of 20,386
Oh yeah, dollar-for-dollar the HE-500 Is tough to beat. The headphones mentioned above are all twice as expensive or more. The HD600 (and 650, if you roll like that) make a good argument, but IMO, the HE500 still wins the day in most cases.

I personally don't think the 500 is a big improvement over the 650, especially with stock pads.

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #18,045 of 20,386
I personally don't think the 500 is a big improvement over the 650, especially with stock pads.

I did. But mine may be modded differently and I'm using different sources and amplification. FWIW, I didn't like the stock pads either - I use an extremely modded version of the FocusPad-A on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back