HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #15,316 of 20,386
what are the go to recommended mods for the he500 and is there a particular order to ideally perform the mods? I just run the velour pads on mine, no comfort issues. Would like to make it clearer and less fatiguing so was thinking of only doing Jerg's fuzzor mod and calling it a day. Thoughts? Im not too keen on the grill mod as i would like to keep the dust/particles protection.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #15,317 of 20,386
  what are the go to recommended mods for the he500 and is there a particular order to ideally perform the mods? I just run the velour pads on mine, no comfort issues. Would like to make it clearer and less fatiguing so was thinking of only doing Jerg's fuzzor mod and calling it a day. Thoughts? Im not too keen on the grill mod as i would like to keep the dust/particles protection.

It's pretty easy to do the grill mod, keep the protection and still get the benefits.  Just buy a bit of organza at a fabric shop, cut, glue or use a spray adhesive, then trim.  I use it on all my custom grills, and there should be lots of colors from which to choose.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #15,318 of 20,386

Jerg's fuzzor mod will solve the sound issues you mentioned.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #15,319 of 20,386
It's pretty easy to do the grill mod, keep the protection and still get the benefits.  Just buy a bit of organza at a fabric shop, cut, glue or use a spray adhesive, then trim.  I use it on all my custom grills, and there should be lots of colors from which to choose.

I'm not sure what organza is (im in new zealand), any links? Or is that pretty much a protective cloth you'd attach underneath a more acoustically open grill? Reason why i was hoping the fuzzor mod will get them pretty much where i want them with treble, definition/detail and fatigue is because i quite like the looks of the stock grills and don't really want to mess up the aesthetics....

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #15,320 of 20,386
Any recommendations on a good upgraded cable for my he-500's, somewhere in the 200. range if possible. Thanks for any info..  

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #15,322 of 20,386
I'm not sure what organza is (im in new zealand), any links? Or is that pretty much a protective cloth you'd attach underneath a more acoustically open grill? Reason why i was hoping the fuzzor mod will get them pretty much where i want them with treble, definition/detail and fatigue is because i quite like the looks of the stock grills and don't really want to mess up the aesthetics....

Don't laugh. Promise? But if organza is hard to find locally then look for .... Sheer black women's pantyhose.

And another tip. Get spray on adhesive from hardware store.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #15,323 of 20,386

Organza is just a very sheer fabric.  You can start here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organza

Yep, I just adhere to the underside of more open grills.  By all means, do the Fuzzor mod.  You can test the grill mod by simply removing the grills.  For me, that was too open, and I liked the more focused wider grills with the shield, which are still more open than the stock grills.  YMMV, of course, but they're easy to do, reversible, and not at all expensive.

I've all sorts of grill materials to achieve different looks.  For a while now I've used 80 mm acrylic PC fan grills I trimmed and spray painted flat black.  I've also got some nice, wide open hexagonal aluminum grills (stuff made for custom car grills), one pair painted red, the other black.

Have fun 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #15,324 of 20,386
I did the grill mod but was then afraid to have the drivers relatively exposed. I decided to keep the foam inserts out but use the original grills. It's still a more open/clear sound than with the foam inserts.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #15,327 of 20,386
Getting a cheap headband pad off ebay for the HE-500 was the best thing I did, as before the weight of the HE-500s would get to me. Now I don't even feel the HE-500's any more, it also fits betters on my head. Tho I had a hard time getting it on the headphone tho almost thought I was gonna bend the headphones. Fighting to get it on.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #15,328 of 20,386
Any recommendations on a good upgraded cable for my he-500's, somewhere in the 200. range if possible. Thanks for any info..  
toxic cables..i swear on their cables..even on my rig which is ruthless for lower quality components...check their profile page here on headfi..thier site is awfully antiquated and not updated because the amount of orders..check their thread also.
Just in case u cant find it

http://www.head-fi.org/u/279519/toxic-cables

And about the grill mod and pad mod...DO IT..it really helps the he500 to be a more complete headphone...i did it too on the he500 i once had...

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #15,330 of 20,386
Has anybody used an o2 or nfb-15 to drive these? Can you comment on how it sounds?

O2 won't provide enough power to drive the HE500. Looks like the NFB will, but I can't comment on how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back