HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 4, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #15,301 of 20,386
For the same price I can get the following, which would you choose?

1) HE-500 mint condition. pretty much like new. comes with stock everything.

2) HE-500 "good" condition. used for 2.5 years. comes with moon audio silver dragon cable.

?

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #15,302 of 20,386

2) HE-500 "good" condition. used for 2.5 years. comes with moon audio silver dragon cable.

?

Tough call. I think I would have to see what "good condition" means. 

I'm not a big fan of cables for SQ change, but the HE500 stock cable is functionally difficult and probably need to be replaced. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #15,303 of 20,386

?

As long as it's not a beater, I'd go with the second option. That's a nice cable that'd you save coin on. you'd be replacing the cable on the newer one anyway.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #15,304 of 20,386

?

You can always upgrade a cable later. A headphone, well, not so much. I try to buy "like new" whenever possible.

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #15,305 of 20,386
Nice! That's great news!

Did you see I posted a tutorial to the FocusPad-A mod?

I did just take a look at it, and I might end up doing it in the far future. For now, I just want to get the Focuspad-A, since I've settled on the velour pads for comfort at this stage, and the leather ones seem not to like staying on the cans after I've taken them off, despite the clips still being unchanged. I do have to say, the clips are very difficult to get on once you have two of them in. Even harder once three are in, so I've given up on trying to get the pads fully connected, since the clamp of the headband is simulating them being fully connected anyway. Dang these things grip onto my head.

Just go ahead and enjoy them. I don't believe that burn in is going to radically change the SQ, I think that's more of a belief system and it's us that burns in, 
happy_face1.gif

Well, I've seen info that proves burn in on cans, but I agree, much of burn in is just your ears getting used to the unique sound of the new cans.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #15,307 of 20,386
My biggest complaint is the stock cable and its relentless chatter with every movement I make. Piece if ***** needs to shut it, so I'm definitely either going to wrap it in something to keep it from clamging, or I'm getting some other cable that won't make any noise.
Also, the clamp is trying to squeeze my brain out, but with a few stretches it should chill out.

Nothing else bad to say at this point, the sound is fantastic and I'm really enjoying it.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #15,308 of 20,386
I'd always pick new where possible unless it is out of your budget. You can replace the cable later on, but you can't undo wear and tear, though you'll probably want to replace the stock cable reasonably soon as its not the nicest cable around. I purchased a Charles Cable Company UPOCC cable and it was a worthwhile improvement over stock, filling out the bass nicely and sounding less etchy on top, but I also re-terminated the the wires inside the driver to the SMC connector (which was not fun to do).

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #15,309 of 20,386

?

Definitely, I' d go with the like new and then spend 40 bucks to buy something like this :http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-HiFiMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-300-HE-560-HE-400-HE-500-Portable-Cable-iPod-iPhone-/121440756253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c466ee21d

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #15,310 of 20,386
That is a very nice cable and pairs well with the HE-500's warm signature. Over the past week I listened to my dad's MA Silver V3 on balanced. The differences are subtle though they are noticeable. You have recieved good advice. Proceed with caution and learn more about what the seller means by "good condition" first. Send PMs or exchange emails with him or her. It is entirely plausible to be satisfied with buying second-hand. My dad bought a used HE-560 that was in great condition and was modded with a practical and sonically outstanding grill mod.

I would not take it as a principle to always and without exception buy the newer model; this axiom, like all principles, is too inflexible to accomodate exceptions which occur in life and, more topically, to purchasing audio equipment. Does the seller have any ratings reflecting his or her experience?

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #15,311 of 20,386
Jan 5, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #15,313 of 20,386
I really prefer soft sleeves, and today I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111565448727

Only with a 1/4" termination.

I'll update about how it is when I get it.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #15,315 of 20,386
  Hello,

I want to buy new velour pads for my HE-500 but i don't know if i should go with traditional Verlour pads or with Focus Pads.
I've heard that the Focus Pads are inspired by the Jergmod, is that true?

So could somebody tell me the differences between those, please? Or maybe some advice?

thanks.

I'm gonna bump this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back