Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 2, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #5,086 of 14,386
  Man these headphones sound great. I was listening to them over the summer with the windows open and the fan running two feet next to me, and they were less than impressive. But now that it's colder, and there's no fan and the windows are closed, they sound like heaven.

Open headphones really do need quiet surroundings to get the most of imo.

Obviously... 
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5,087 of 14,386
Man these headphones sound great. I was listening to them over the summer with the windows open and the fan running two feet next to me, and they were less than impressive. But now that it's colder, and there's no fan and the windows are closed, they sound like heaven.

Open headphones really do need quiet surroundings to get the most of imo.

Yep a fan doesnt help much xD

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #5,090 of 14,386
I'm still amazed how much of a huge difference there is while listening to music with and without headphones. Then add to that the difference between listening with great sounding headphones vs. an average sounding (but still good) headphones.

I only own two pair of full size headphones The Sennheiser HD25-1 II and these 400i. The HD25 are very nice, but man these 400i really make me look forward to listening to my music. They just seem so clear to me. And, for my big head, they are very comfortable for hours at a time.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #5,095 of 14,386
ok, update from my stretching project
wink.gif

this pic is from my last post (looser than stock)

after more stretching:

now it easy to see that the headband is more rounded and the pads arent touching anymore.
its starting to look more like the pair from the store :)

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #5,097 of 14,386
My 
  I've had HE400i's since June. I finally picked up a headphone amp and they have really come alive. It's great.

My Schiit Fulla is coming tomorrow. Hopefully it will push the 400i above the hd 598 which I am also auditioning. I guess the proper way to go would be to spend as much on the amp as the headphones cost. What amp are you using? How much of a difference does it make?

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #5,098 of 14,386
I'm using a Schiit Asgard (version 1) that I got second hand for a comically cheap price. It's in mint condition. The guy had upgraded to the Lyr and just wanted to unload this thing. 

How much of a difference does it make? Well, you can't compare apples to oranges. The Fulla is a low end product. So is the Asgard but it is not as low end. Basically, I went from having decent headphones to having a nightclub inside my head. If you blind folded me and asked me what the difference was between my integrated amp's out and the Asgard, I'd tell you that you had given me headphones that cost twice as much as the 400i's when it was hooked up to the Asgard. I'm listening to it right now. It's pretty freakin mind blowing. I would not hesitate to buy another Schiit Product...

I listened to another headphone amp from Hifiman that cost more than the Asgard does (in new prices) and the Asgard destroys it in the worst way. No comparison. And the Hifiman was  a tube amp too. 

You won't get a mind blowing performance out of the Fulla but it'll be decent. I wonder why you spent $500 on your headphones but less than $100 on your amp/dac? Would have made more sense to pick up HD598's and a Schiit Magni 2 modi 2 combo. JM2C.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #5,099 of 14,386
  I'm using a Schiit Asgard (version 1) that I got second hand for a comically cheap price. It's in mint condition. The guy had upgraded to the Lyr and just wanted to unload this thing. 

How much of a difference does it make? Well, you can't compare apples to oranges. The Fulla is a low end product. So is the Asgard but it is not as low end. Basically, I went from having decent headphones to having a nightclub inside my head. If you blind folded me and asked me what the difference was between my integrated amp's out and the Asgard, I'd tell you that you had given me headphones that cost twice as much as the 400i's when it was hooked up to the Asgard. I'm listening to it right now. It's pretty freakin mind blowing. I would not hesitate to buy another Schiit Product...

I listened to another headphone amp from Hifiman that cost more than the Asgard does (in new prices) and the Asgard destroys it in the worst way. No comparison. And the Hifiman was  a tube amp too. 

You won't get a mind blowing performance out of the Fulla but it'll be decent. I wonder why you spent $500 on your headphones but less than $100 on your amp/dac? Would have made more sense to pick up HD598's and a Schiit Magni 2 modi 2 combo. JM2C.

What, and miss all the fun of chasing gear?

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #5,100 of 14,386
  My 

My Schiit Fulla is coming tomorrow. Hopefully it will push the 400i above the hd 598 which I am also auditioning. I guess the proper way to go would be to spend as much on the amp as the headphones cost. What amp are you using? How much of a difference does it make?

There are many very good options available and it depends on your preferences. Given that the Gustard H10 is quite respected for driving the HE 560 as I think I mentioned in this thread it would likely be a good fit with the 400i. The Fulla will be okay, but it will not be the last word in performance. Try it and see, if you like it that is what matters. But yes, within reason the amp should be of similar caliber to the headphone.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back