Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,471 of 14,386
It sounds like HD650/LCD2 type mids, which sounds absolutely ideal. I think I would live with less bass than the 400 if the mids are truly that upfront. If you're gonna have good mids, I think upfront and intimate is the best case scenario, IMHO. Yes, the downside is that it reduces the soundstage, but in tsrms of music, I don't put a LOT of attention to the soundstage, and when I need soundstage for movies and games, I'm always using virtual surround anyways. As long as soundstage depth is good, I can totally live with that kind of upfront presentation, and honestly prefer it. Looks like the 400i really is what I should be aiming for.

This is what I'm hearing from the headphones. But from the way HFM is marketing this product it seems like an improved he-400 with better comfort and retaining the same general sound signature. Which is misleading.

I really wish they just smoothed out the treble/uppermids and changed to the new physical body. I need me that v-shaped signature and large airy soundstage.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,472 of 14,386

I am still listening. I have run the 400i for close to the recommended time . 150 hours will be finished tonight.  I have listened for maybe 25 hours. Next week I have some time off of work, so I will try to spend some time actually comparing them to some of my other phones.
A few things to mention until then.

With some quick casual listening, I prefer the HE-400i to any of the HD580 (modded), Hd600, or HD650. If they stay here I can see them being my go to phones for general listening.

I find them to have a very pleasant sound. One that makes me want to come back for more. The mids for vocals is simply amazing compared to what I have been listening to. I have listened to a bunch of female vocals, (Alison Kraus, Celine Dion, Natalie Cole, Lady Antebellum) that always were problems with the HE 400. They sound (400i) so much better on this material to my ears!

They do not have the "air" that the 400s do, but this is a matter of balance I think. The top end sounds much more real to me. Symbols, bells, and chimes give a much more convincing presentation than the 400.

Bass... I am not sure why they would be considered bass shy. I have listened to a bunch of organ, upright bass and synth with good bass. When the bass is in the recording, the 400i plays it well. Again, I feel like the big difference in the perceived bass between the 400 and 400i is balance. I am not a bass head, but my setup with speakers will do 115 db at 15 hz. We are talking 4 15" subs and 6 10" in folded horns bass tuned to the room. I do like bass, but do not want or need it to be intrusive.I have done all I can to make the system sound real. I ... and it is personal taste, find the bass on the 400i more pleasing than that of the 400.

Soundstage. I have yet to find any phone that has much in the way of  a large and realistic soundstage. I find differences generally pretty small and difficult to detect. I can say that while listening today there were times when using the 400i that I actually turned my head to see where a played sound was coming from. This when I was really not concentrating on the music. This impressed me. I attribute it more to the naturalness of the sound then some large soundstage though.

I will try to write up something more on direct comparisons with the Senns (etc.)and analytical listening next week.

BTW, I was listening to some Kansas, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Alan Parsons Project earlier, portable, Fuze to C5D... I liked what I was hearing. I think they do a credible job with all of the classical rock stuff that I have thrown at them. Pink Floyd, Carlos Santana (Blues for Salvador is very nice), Grateful Dead ...etc.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #1,474 of 14,386

Headphones: I have the HE-400 in hand for the last 2 days.  Tomorrow the HE-4 arrives.  And today I have the AKG 712 Pro coming. Will compare all 3 Thursday
Amps: Have Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 (10 years old tube), the Schiit Asgard 2 arrived yesterday and the Schiit Magni arrives today.

A regular Oskosh Fly-in for headphones & gear. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #1,476 of 14,386
Aug 28, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,477 of 14,386
Unfortunately, I am not going to have time to break any of the headphones in that were delivered.  I basically have to make a decision today.

1) Between the HE-4, He-400i, HE-400 and the AKG 712... how do these compare with bass? (maybe rank them best to worst, bass impact vs. focused bass)

2) What amps are you using?  I think the Asgard 2 is doing a poor job so far driving the HE-400 and AKG 712.. I basically have to turn to 4 oclock or close to the max and it runs really hot.  On the other hand, my Musical Fidelity X-Can X-Can v2 class A tube amp from 10 years ago is really making the bass sound better on the HE-400 and rolling off the highs some.  I need to go with a 2nd amp for my other room.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #1,478 of 14,386
  Unfortunately, I am not going to have time to break any of the headphones in that were delivered.  I basically have to make a decision today.

1) Between the HE-4, He-400i, HE-400 and the AKG 712... how do these compare with bass? (maybe rank them best to worst, bass impact vs. focused bass)

2) What amps are you using?  I think the Asgard 2 is doing a poor job so far driving the HE-400 and AKG 712.. I basically have to turn to 4 oclock or close to the max and it runs really hot.  On the other hand, my Musical Fidelity X-Can X-Can v2 class A tube amp from 10 years ago is really making the bass sound better on the HE-400 and rolling off the highs some.  I need to go with a 2nd amp for my other room.

1.  There are very few people who own exactly those 4 headphones and will rank them for you today.  Good luck tho.  If you have them, though, you will be the best person to rank them for yourself.
2.  Sounds like you might using just the low gain setting on the Asgard 2.  You know about the switchable gain, right?  If you flip to high gain, and set volume to 4:00, you will crush your head.
Also, the Asgard 2 does run hot, it is designed that way, that is not a problem.  

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,479 of 14,386
Also, make sure your source isn't low in volume (I.e. pc master volume too low). That's one people tend to forget the most. Lowering pc master volume is reducing bit resolution IIRC.

Reviewed all of those except the 400i.

IMO, in terms of bass presence and impact:

HE400, off some pretty strong A-GD amps.
K712, off the Asgard 2
HE4, off the Lyr, as well as the SA-31

By that I mean how much you're engaged by the bass in its presence, body, potency, and impact. People spew that a headphone has more present bass, but is more subdued. That is not what people are asking for when they ask for good bass the majority of the time.

The HE400 wins in bass, no question. But also, its more because of its balance relative to the mids.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,482 of 14,386
Listening to Buena Vista Social Club (1997). This album showcases some of what the 400i's do best.

Great album, sounds great on the 560's too!!!:beers:

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,484 of 14,386
  You have me drooling for the 560's. My poor wallet.

They're worth drooling for 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,485 of 14,386
I thought that i would experiment with the 400i. I have a "Freedom" cable by CablePro on my HE500's. I swiched the two cables. There was a decided difference in sound. The stock 400i cable is much brighter. When i used the freedom cable on the 400i, the bass improved but at the expense of clarity in the highs. The stock 400i cable on the 500's had the effect of brightening the highs and reducing the lows by just a "hair". 
The 400i stock cable sounds better on the 400i than the Freedom cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back