Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,456 of 14,386
The he-4 on a good vintage amp had some brilliant sub bass. It was just as impressive as the lcd2 pre fazor IMHO. The sound was very dynamic and punchy off the vintage amps. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #1,457 of 14,386
  The he-4 on a good vintage amp had some brilliant sub bass. It was just as impressive as the lcd2 pre fazor IMHO. The sound was very dynamic and punchy off the vintage amps. 

Matt, would you say that the HE-4 properly amped (vintage amps) is better or worse than the HE-400i?

I understand the 400i wins on comfort and is much easier to drive, but how would they compare sound-wise?

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,458 of 14,386
IMO the 400i wins pretty easily. It's just more gifted at reproducing a more "natural" response and sounds more accurate. The he-4, even on a good amp, is more about the fun factor. If you like hp's with a "v" signature it may be just what you're looking for though. 

For me, I'll take the he-400i all day. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #1,459 of 14,386
So... turns out I was comparing at the right volume level from the start... I did some more accurate testing and the 31 and 35 volume for 400i and 560 respectively was correct...
The more recent anomalies were due to measurement inaccuracies caused by slightly different placement... So, my bad! 
rolleyes.gif

Good, because that'd mean the 20+ songs I've compared yesterday wouldn't have any effect... Happy camper 
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I'll only have to make a chart for my amp to know what headphone should be at which volume to be matched [because, behold, the SA31SE uses a non-exponential volume curve that gets more gradual with volume... sigh
frown.gif
]

Oh, well! Back to listening and sorry for the false alarm! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #1,460 of 14,386
I have a few more impressions in listening to the 400i as compared to my other HPs. I have the HE500; HD600; Mad Dog Pro; and AKG 702.

The 400i is a clear winner as compared to the HE500 and HD600 when it comes to both male and female vocals. This includes opera, jazz, folk and contempoary. The 400i's are simply clear and pure. It doesn't sound like that there is anything bewteen you and the performer.

The same goes for accoustic instruments across the various genres: classical, jazz,folk, rock and even country. 

Percusions present themselves so well. Whether it is a trap set, bongos or timpani, the sound is excellent. The Mad Dog Pros have more bass and run a close second in clarity.

While EDM is not my customary listening choice, I did try it out with the 400i's. The bass impact and clarity is amazing.

In my opinion, however, the 400i just cannot handle heavy metal and some classic rock well. Whether it is Metallica, Pantera, Mastadon, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath, these HPs just cannot duplicate the bass sufficiently to give me that "gut" reaction. Both the HE500 and HD 600 seem better. Perhaps it is unfair to compare the 400i with a closed back HP, but for heavy metal the Mad Dog Pro does it so well. The Mad Dog is also a worthy alternative on any of the genres.

When I am not listening to the 400i's, I am running pink and white noise through them. Can't say that they will not be "broken in" before the review period is through.

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #1,463 of 14,386
It should be a ginormous leap ahead. The DT770 has some pretty significant mid recession.

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,465 of 14,386
Anyone else find the mids to be a bit shouty depending on the track?

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,466 of 14,386
  Anyone else find the mids to be a bit shouty depending on the track?

Yes. The 400i has forward mids and depending on the track certain instruments/vocals may have a bit too much presence... to the point of being shouty.
I'll be more precise when I post a direct 400i/560 comparison...

It's certainly nothing too bad, but yes, I've noticed as well.

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,467 of 14,386
It sounds like HD650/LCD2 type mids, which sounds absolutely ideal. I think I would live with less bass than the 400 if the mids are truly that upfront. If you're gonna have good mids, I think upfront and intimate is the best case scenario, IMHO. Yes, the downside is that it reduces the soundstage, but in tsrms of music, I don't put a LOT of attention to the soundstage, and when I need soundstage for movies and games, I'm always using virtual surround anyways. As long as soundstage depth is good, I can totally live with that kind of upfront presentation, and honestly prefer it. Looks like the 400i really is what I should be aiming for.

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,469 of 14,386
  Yes. The 400i has forward mids and depending on the track certain instruments/vocals may have a bit too much presence... to the point of being shouty.
I'll be more precise when I post a direct 400i/560 comparison...

It's certainly nothing too bad, but yes, I've noticed as well.

I have not had the pleasure of listening to the HE560. Very interested in your thoughts on the comparison with the HE400i.

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,470 of 14,386
  I have not had the pleasure of listening to the HE560. Very interested in your thoughts on the comparison with the HE400i.

It is coming. Just need a few more days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back