Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 18, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #11,131 of 14,386
Do you think waiting for a higher end DAP is not worth? :/
I like the Fiio X3, but I don't think is much of an upgrade against the X1...
When i decided to buy the X1 I was debating between the X3 and X1 and it was not clear the X3 being and upgrade, however, it may sound a lot better coupled with the he400is

I don't know if the newer gear is better, the newer X3ii does not sound as nice as the older X3 but the UI is so much better.  If I were to get a higher end DAP I would go for something Android based with a touch screen like the X7 or DX-P1 or maybe AK120, or QP1R but since I rarely need this level of quality with portable gear I've never really looked into them.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #11,132 of 14,386
Made this for a local friend who bought a 400i due to my recommendation. Extra jacketing on the 2.5's because he wanted them 'extra snug' when seated.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #11,133 of 14,386
Do you think waiting for a higher end DAP is not worth? :/
I like the Fiio X3, but I don't think is much of an upgrade against the X1...
When i decided to buy the X1 I was debating between the X3 and X1 and it was not clear the X3 being and upgrade, however, it may sound a lot better coupled with the he400is

Ive heard the x3 is not on par with the x3ii, that the 2nd gen is an.upgrade in every way. Maybe you should read some comparisons before making your descision. The only thing that most people agreed on is that the x3s amp is more powerful but other than that soundstage, detail retreival, nuetrality are better on the x3ii. I have not personally heard the x3 as i just own the x3ii and the x1. Depending on what youre after you may be happy with the x1 but i prefer the x3ii in all aspects. The x1 in comparison has a smallet soundstage, slightly less detail and is warmer/bassier than the x3ii...both of them.sound good with the 400i though.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #11,134 of 14,386
So since yesterday, is the 2nd time that I own these headphones (used to own them the first time in April 2016, but had to sell them because of financial reasons) and I could SWEAR that when I owned them the first time, they sounded better than now, and at that time they were connected to my iPad with no amp/dac, opposed to now, with the HRT Microstreamer.

The biggest difference being that on the first model, they were A LOT less harsh in the lower treble, like I didn't need to use EQ or anything at that time, just wished for more volume.

And with this 2nd pair, I have the 8khz band down by like 5 db, and they're still not comfortably smooth...

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #11,135 of 14,386
Ive heard the x3 is not on par with the x3ii, that the 2nd gen is an.upgrade in every way. Maybe you should read some comparisons before making your descision. The only thing that most people agreed on is that the x3s amp is more powerful but other than that soundstage, detail retreival, nuetrality are better on the x3ii. I have not personally heard the x3 as i just own the x3ii and the x1. Depending on what youre after you may be happy with the x1 but i prefer the x3ii in all aspects. The x1 in comparison has a smallet soundstage, slightly less detail and is warmer/bassier than the x3ii...both of them.sound good with the 400i though.

I have both, to me the Wolfson chip is slightly better than the Cirrus-Logic.  The X3ii may have better sound stage, detail retrieval and neutrality but it doesn't make my feet tap or head bob as much with most of the headphones that I would use either DAP with.  The headphones used are HD-700, Ypsilon and EL8, for all of these headphones the X3 is the better sounding DAP to me and my GF, and by a large margin.  The interface is S--- but its the sound that counts.

Agree that both are better than X1 but its not a huge difference IMO and unless you have both at the same time and audio memory being very limited over time not many will quickly notice the difference and it is also highly dependent on the headphones used and genre of music.  If you are listening to pop, rock or most other current music sound stage, detail retrieval and neutrality don't mean much since the recording themselves are not great but if listening to well recorded/mastered classical, jazz and blues then those traits become very important but then the choice of the X3 or X3ii would not be highly recommended for those genres and the headphones would also be different.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #11,136 of 14,386
Makes me want to give the X3 a listen, though not at the $100 mark - I got my X5 for $80 haha.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #11,138 of 14,386
I do enjoy the X5+A5 with 400i/560

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #11,140 of 14,386
[/quote]
Homemade cables? Where do you source that stuff?

Sent you a PM with some info. Your first cables will be rough - I've made hundreds so the practice shows haha. Invest the time and you'll get there, but most just want to buy a quality cable and not deal with the hassle.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #11,142 of 14,386
Sent you a PM with some info. Your first cables will be rough - I've made hundreds so the practice shows haha. Invest the time and you'll get there, but most just want to buy a quality cable and not deal with the hassle.[/quote]

I'm interested too, actually started my research on the matter so any additional info is welcome haha.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #11,143 of 14,386
I'm kind of on the fence about the stock pads -- I found a comparison (possibly from someone here) https://imgur.com/a/Xjo22

I use LCD-XCs at work, so I'm kind of tempted to just order another set of those pads from Audeze and give them a whirl. I think it's the velour siding of the stock pads that irritates my face, especially if I haven't shaven recently...

Thoughts on pad replacements?

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #11,144 of 14,386
I have both, to me the Wolfson chip is slightly better than the Cirrus-Logic.  The X3ii may have better sound stage, detail retrieval and neutrality but it doesn't make my feet tap or head bob as much with most of the headphones that I would use either DAP with.  The headphones used are HD-700, Ypsilon and EL8, for all of these headphones the X3 is the better sounding DAP to me and my GF, and by a large margin.  The interface is S--- but its the sound that counts.

Agree that both are better than X1 but its not a huge difference IMO and unless you have both at the same time and audio memory being very limited over time not many will quickly notice the difference and it is also highly dependent on the headphones used and genre of music.  If you are listening to pop, rock or most other current music sound stage, detail retrieval and neutrality don't mean much since the recording themselves are not great but if listening to well recorded/mastered classical, jazz and blues then those traits become very important but then the choice of the X3 or X3ii would not be highly recommended for those genres and the headphones would also be different.

I'm not looking for a portable device actually, I'm looking for a hifi stand alone system as I can't rely on my computer, as I said, I do most of my listening at work, but would be nice to have the same quality at home... while on the go I would use my phone as I'm doing now...

I have still 7 months to save money, I may get to a high end player and call it my end game (AK70, AK300 or the like), at least for some years!

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #11,145 of 14,386
Sooooo....my headband just snapped after 3 years use 
confused_face.gif
​...not a happy man right now 
frown.gif

Litterally have a sock stuffed innbetween the metal headband and my head......any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back