Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 17, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #11,117 of 14,386
  Thanks a lot for replying, this sounds like it's right up my alley. I do miss a bit of umph to the bass of these now that I've used them for a while. I just ordered them and will report back to the thread.

My wallet weeps reading this thread sometimes. Bought mine around 550, because imports to EU are ****ed. Do feel like it was money well spent as I sat for about 3 hours doing a listening session at a store with a table full of cans and my own gear.

Gah, I guess it's better not do disclose my EU price then.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #11,119 of 14,386
If you don't mind my curiousity, which country is that?

I'm from Uruguay, we have a law that let us import 5 packages of 200 USD each, year after year, local commerces started to make preasure to the foverment and now we have only 3 of those, in fact, it was just a few days ago the it was decided that there were only 3 packages...

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #11,120 of 14,386
I'm from Uruguay, we have a law that let us import 5 packages of 200 USD each, year after year, local commerces started to make preasure to the foverment and now we have only 3 of those, in fact, it was just a few days ago the it was decided that there were only 3 packages..

Funny i was in Montevideo, Uruguay for a few days and two weeks in Buenos Aires in November, that sucks but i never heard of that when i was there. I wonder for what purpose they would have that rule.   

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #11,121 of 14,386
Funny i was in Montevideo, Uruguay for a few days and two weeks in Buenos Aires in November, that sucks but i never heard of that when i was there. I wonder for what purpose they would have that rule.   

You were on vacation? Or work related?
Anyway, I don't think anyone would tell you that out of nowhere haha, I guess I'm complaining because it is hard to get good stuffs in here, almost everything is super expensive and when is something "exclusive" like audio equipment the prices go to the sky...

Anyway, I'm still looking for a good match for the He400i, I need something "stand alone" as my work computer has serious trouble pushing with all my things during the day, and I get some super nasty skips and they drive me nuts, I got the Fiio X1 in first place for this reason, but I may need something better for thes headphones... Any idea??

Edit: while in travel to US in august, I can buy something like a Onkyo player or the Pioneer one, something more powerful and with good quality sound, as I said above, need it for desk when computer skips and cant reproduce music flawless

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #11,122 of 14,386
You were on vacation? Or work related?
Anyway, I don't think anyone would tell you that out of nowhere haha, I guess I'm complaining because it is hard to get good stuffs in here, almost everything is super expensive and when is something "exclusive" like audio equipment the prices go to the sky...

Anyway, I'm still looking for a good match for the He400i, I need something "stand alone" as my work computer has serious trouble pushing with all my things during the day, and I get some super nasty skips and they drive me nuts, I got the Fiio X1 in first place for this reason, but I may need something better for thes headphones... Any idea??

Edit: while in travel to US in august, I can buy something like a Onkyo player or the Pioneer one, something more powerful and with good quality sound, as I said above, need it for desk when computer skips and cant reproduce music flawless

Yeah it was vacation, actually liked montevideo more than argentina. Im actuallly using the fiio q1 with my laptop and sounds excellent, and very close to my fiio x3ii but slightly warmer sounding...have not A/B d though. Due to the comments i havent even botheree with the O2 amp on these yet, in the process of moving and its a pain to unpack everything. Im in the same boat, im looking for a DIY version of a vali 2 or something similiar. For your price range though everyone seems to like the vali 2. I would buy it but convincing the wife to support me in buying the 400is in the first place was a challenge enough, lol.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #11,123 of 14,386
Yeah it was vacation, actually liked montevideo more than argentina. Im actuallly using the fiio q1 with my laptop and sounds excellent, and very close to my fiio x3ii but slightly warmer sounding...have not A/B d though. Due to the comments i havent even botheree with the O2 amp on these yet, in the process of moving and its a pain to unpack everything. Im in the same boat, im looking for a DIY version of a vali 2 or something similiar. For your price range though everyone seems to like the vali 2. I would buy it but convincing the wife to support me in buying the 400is in the first place was a challenge enough, lol.

Hahaha i know that kind of challenge xD

Fiio Q1 you say? I will check it out

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #11,125 of 14,386
Hahaha i know that kind of challenge xD

Fiio Q1 you say? I will check it out

Might want to try finding an older X3, its got a better amp section than the X1 and a better DAC chip IMO than the newer X3ii which I also have in addition to the X1.  The only issue with the X3 is the interface is not the best but to me the sound is what counts.

FWIW my GF uses the X3 almost every day when she walks our dog.  She used to use her HD-700 which is a little more difficult to drive than the HE-400i and is currently using a Ypsilon driver headphone that I built a few months ago.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #11,126 of 14,386
Might want to try finding an older X3, its got a better amp section than the X1 and a better DAC chip IMO than the newer X3ii which I also have in addition to the X1.  The only issue with the X3 is the interface is not the best but to me the sound is what counts.

FWIW my GF uses the X3 almost every day when she walks our dog.  She used to use her HD-700 which is a little more difficult to drive than the HE-400i and is currently using a Ypsilon driver headphone that I built a few months ago.

That's actually a very good suggestion. The first X3 is a powerhouse (considering it's a DAP) and I can also see its signature work well with the HE400i.

Iirc it also has USB DAC functionality.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #11,127 of 14,386

I was thinking in a better DAP, not something crazy like a Astell&Kern costing 900+ but probably something on the lines of the Pionner XDP-100R-K or the Onkyo that is basically the same, maybe X7, X5 II or III if available later this year, there are some options that I could manage to extend my budget just in case I'm getting a "lot" more for the money...

That's actually a very good suggestion. The first X3 is a powerhouse (considering it's a DAP) and I can also see its signature work well with the HE400i.

Iirc it also has USB DAC functionality.

Yes that could be an option, I think the Fiio X1 does a good job, considering how cheap it is, it does a lot better than my iPhone 6 or my PC... I just would like like an "all in one" upgrade, so I can have everything I like in my job and in my house during the weekends...

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #11,128 of 14,386

Quote:

I was thinking in a better DAP, not something crazy like a Astell&Kern costing 900+ but probably something on the lines of the Pionner XDP-100R-K or the Onkyo that is basically the same, maybe X7, X5 II or III if available later this year, there are some options that I could manage to extend my budget just in case I'm getting a "lot" more for the money...

Yes that could be an option, I think the Fiio X1 does a good job, considering how cheap it is, it does a lot better than my iPhone 6 or my PC... I just would like like an "all in one" upgrade, so I can have everything I like in my job and in my house during the weekends...

​You should be able to find an X3 for about $100-120 depending on its condition, mine which are about 3 years old still looks almost brand new, it usually in the protective rubber case which does a good job of protecting it.  Just took a picture of it:

Really nice condition after 3 years and almost daily use and the battery still holds about a 7-8 hour charge

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #11,129 of 14,386
​You should be able to find an X3 for about $100-120 depending on its condition, mine which are about 3 years old still looks almost brand new, it usually in the protective rubber case which does a good job of protecting it.  Just took a picture of it:

Really nice condition after 3 years and almost daily use and the battery still holds about a 7-8 hour charge

Do you think waiting for a higher end DAP is not worth? :/
I like the Fiio X3, but I don't think is much of an upgrade against the X1...
When i decided to buy the X1 I was debating between the X3 and X1 and it was not clear the X3 being and upgrade, however, it may sound a lot better coupled with the he400is

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #11,130 of 14,386
Do you think waiting for a higher end DAP is not worth? :/
I like the Fiio X3, but I don't think is much of an upgrade against the X1...
When i decided to buy the X1 I was debating between the X3 and X1 and it was not clear the X3 being and upgrade, however, it may sound a lot better coupled with the he400is

I use my HE-400i with iBasso DX90 and I like this combo very much. I would recommend it. iBasso DX90 internal DAC is very detailed and has very good bass and treble extension. Its head amp is also capable of driving moderately efficient headphones like HE-400i very well. But its more expensive than 200$, retail price is 379 $ free shipping from amazon. Another drawback is that with "hungrier" headphones like HE-400i the battery at mid gain lasts only for around 4-5 hours. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back