Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 21, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #3,751 of 14,386
So what you're saying is a Fostex HP-A4 is a terrible choice, not only for the 400i, but practically any high priced headphone. That's ironic because the HP-A4 is $350 retail on it's own.

You say research before pairing equipment but I did that and thought I chose two awesome pieces of equipment. There's only so much research someone can do without understanding what they're reading. I have no experience in this stuff and I'm sad to know I just spent $800 on equipment that isn't producing.

I'm still not entirely sold on open-back headphones. It's almost like I feel it sounds better when I put my hands over the back of the phones. When I let go it sounds a little muffled and farther away.

You really need to try a different amp, its unfortunate you didn't ask more questions in here first, I doubt anyone would have recommended an amp that only gives out 100mW at 32 ohms, especially for a planar.

100mW at 32 ohms is really not much at all, if you take one of the recommendations above, the Lyr2 puts out 6.0W at 32 ohms, which is equal to 6000mW.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #3,752 of 14,386
100 mw at 32 ohms is on the low side for an amp, but it's still completely adequate for the 400i. They dont need gobs of power because they are fairly sensitive. More sensitive than the old 400, which needed way less than 100mw peak (I ran them off speaker taps for a while and experimented with resistor networks--choking my speaker amp down to around 80 mw peak worked just as well as limiting it to 2W, no loss of dynamics). The 400i sure as schiit doesnt need 6W.

So decide for yourself if you like your Fostex amp. If it's not for you, that's fine, but dont trick yourself into thinking that it's technically incapable of driving the 400i.

You only need about 40mw to reach 110 db, which is louder than you probably ever listen to unless you're insane or have ear damage.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #3,754 of 14,386
The HP-A4 just doesn't have enough power for a desktop amplifier to begin with. 100mW @ 32ohms max is just plain weak? DAPs like DX90 or X5 can put out more than twice the power of HP-A4 (255mW @ 32Ohm). And yes HE-400i sounds nice straight out of those DAPs.

I wonder what makes you get that amp to pair with HE-400i.

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #3,756 of 14,386
I posted this on the 560 thread, but thought I would ask here as well. Can't find the reference to the poster that said he got the wrong case recently.
Any help appreciated!

I need some advice.
I want to get a case for my HE 560. I got one from Hifiman for the 400i. At the time they had two cases. One for th 400/500 series and one for the 400i/560.
Now they only list one for the "HE" series. I can't tell whether it is the correct one with the cutouts for the new headband style.
this is the link:
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=207
Has anyone gotten one of these recently? Is it the correct one for the 560?
It seems I read on this or the 400i thread that somebody got one in the last few weeks that did not fit. So, I thought I would ask before ordering the wrong thing.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #3,758 of 14,386
  If it doesn't fit, you could always cut some of the offending foam out until it does.

Sure, but why? Would it not be better to get the correct case to begin with?

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #3,759 of 14,386
So decide for yourself if you like your Fostex amp. If it's not for you, that's fine, but dont trick yourself into thinking that it's technically incapable of driving the 400i.

Thanks!
  The HP-A4 just doesn't have enough power for a desktop amplifier to begin with. 100mW @ 32ohms max is just plain weak? DAPs like DX90 or X5 can put out more than twice the power of HP-A4 (255mW @ 32Ohm). And yes HE-400i sounds nice straight out of those DAPs.

I wonder what makes you get that amp to pair with HE-400i.

The choice was based on wanting a 24bit solid state amplifier with a built in DAC, and in this case, DSD capable.  That was about it other than the fact Fostex has been around for decades.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #3,760 of 14,386
Hi everyone , I've been looking at these headphones for awhile but the deciding factor that im worried about are the earpads... I have Larger on average ears and from the pictures i've seen it looks like my ears wont fit .... Does anyone know if the beyerdynamic velour pads from the DT series are the same size because my ears fit in them and I can't seem to find actual measurements for those .... but the Hifiman pads are 5cm.. Any advice would be welcome :)

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #3,761 of 14,386
Hi everyone , I've been looking at these headphones for awhile but the deciding factor that im worried about are the earpads... I have Larger on average ears and from the pictures i've seen it looks like my ears wont fit .... Does anyone know if the beyerdynamic velour pads from the DT series are the same size because my ears fit in them and I can't seem to find actual measurements for those .... but the Hifiman pads are 5cm.. Any advice would be welcome :)

the earpads will be the very, very, very least of your issues. Your ears won't enter the circular hole, it's more like pushed against the pads. but the pads are very soft, and because it has velour surface, my preference goes to velour surface than leather surface

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #3,763 of 14,386
I had a pair of dt 770 pros that were like that with velour... They would touch the top of my ears but it wasnt uncomfortable for hours... So im guessing just like that?

i have the dt880. i guess its the same level. i never really notice the difference in comfort level between the two pads, as long as its velour. my ears prefer them more than leathers in long session. But i'm asian and.. i'm not exactly Yao Ming size either.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #3,764 of 14,386
I've literally been at a standstill with Either Purchasing the 400i's or the hd 650 .. I currently use a set of Alpha dogs ( while they're great ) .. I want to move to a more open solution with a planar design.. but i would be willing to get a 650 also because i know those fit and sound great.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #3,765 of 14,386
I've literally been at a standstill with Either Purchasing the 400i's or the hd 650 .. I currently use a set of Alpha dogs ( while they're great ) .. I want to move to a more open solution with a planar design.. but i would be willing to get a 650 also because i know those fit and sound great.

i seriously think nobody can answer between specifically these 2 headphones than yourself. I wanted a hd650 to compensate for my ear condition (and only singularly considered hd650 at first), but lo and behold, in the end i got a he-400i. I truly understand your dilemma and I can't help you.

haha. it's a useless post but i feel like writing it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back