Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #2,431 of 14,386
It is, but results are not so good. The bass becomes loose and boombastic :wink:

Yeah, but 6 dB @ 110 Hz is pretty extreme. I use 2 dB @ 40, Q of 2, and get really good results with parametric eq.

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #2,432 of 14,386
Yeah, but 6 dB @ 110 Hz is pretty extreme. I use 2 dB @ 40, Q of 2, and get really good results with parametric eq.

I do +4db on my HE400s for some modern songs, but i use Foobar - since my computer is also connected to my AVR for movies and stereo and stuff 

Figured another 2db for 400i would be the ticket

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #2,433 of 14,386
  Thinking about the 400i's now - how well does it handle non-edm/pop music? Say OSTs or orchestral? Or even pop music thats not overly synthesized and have good vocals (something like Adele)? Would you tame the bass by a couple dbs to get more of a 560 sound? 

I definitely have had a great experience listening to OSTs/orchestral with the 400i. The excellent separation and imaging on the 400i really helps with anything complex, and the bass is just enough (its there, but it's not overdone and it's very detailed) to give a nice rumble for those certain passages in an OST. Some might find the sound of the 400i without any mods a bit closed in for orchestral, but I honestly think it isn't a problem unless you're comparing to some of the best headphones in the world. For me, coming from the HD598 and Q701 I don't find the 400i to feel that much more closed in.

Vocals are also something that the 400i does very well. It gives you an intimate experience, but not to the point where it feels like someone is screaming in your face. Vocals also sound very natural and detailed.

Also, keep in mind that one can do the simple grill mod to further boost the performance of these cans in orchestral and classical music. There is a noticeable difference (though don't expect it to transform the 400i into a 560) - in terms of soundstage and making the sound even more open.  

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #2,434 of 14,386
  How well do the 400i's take to EQing? Is it possible to approach 400 bass with something like +6db < 110hz? 

Another reason im looking to upgrade is that this generation are much more comfortable and lighter

I hear the bass quantity on the 560s are even less than the 400i's and ppl compare the 560s against the HD800s all the time :p 

They take it really well. A simple 5db boost in the lower region and they pretty much equal the HE-400 bass. HE-400 may still have the slight edge on extension, but it's so close it's negligible.

I keep the EQ off though, I'm really starting to appreciate other aspects of the sound. The mids and treble on this can are delicious, coming from an HE-400. The HE-400 handsomely failed in this region. Female vocals are fleshed out, and sibilants are non-existent. Really glad with my decision 
L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,435 of 14,386

They take it really well. A simple 5db boost in the lower region and they pretty much equal the HE-400 bass. HE-400 may still have the slight edge on extension, but it's so close it's negligible.

I keep the EQ off though, I'm really starting to appreciate other aspects of the sound. The mids and treble on this can are delicious, coming from an HE-400. The HE-400 handsomely failed in this region. Female vocals are fleshed out, and sibilants are non-existent. Really glad with my decision 
L3000.gif

+1

I also prefer them without EQ, except for certain special stuff where I just can't help it, mostly dark, drone stuff like Sunn O)))).  Otherwise, I really do let the 400i's do the work.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,436 of 14,386

Big? No. Noticeable? To me, yes.  I believe that all units are now shipping with Focus A pads with the Focus pads an optional purchase.

This is backwards.

The Focus-A pads came with the pre-production model.  They are more shallow and have asymmetrical stitching.  They are supposed to have a more linear/less aggressive signature to them.

The Focus pads are what new models ship with.  They are deeper and more polished looking, but a little more "colored" in their sound.

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=203

I was going to buy Focus-A pads myself, since I like a more laid back sound, but jerg is currently working on mods for the HE-560 and thinks the Focus pads may have more promise.  I'm going to hang tight til he's had a chance to really explore and tweak before I make any moves. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #2,440 of 14,386
quick question ... right now im using he-400i with fiio x5 ... on low gain im listening the volume most of the time at 90/120 ... i would like to know if adding an amp will change the sound signature cause i read sometimes that a better amp will improve bass extension and overall sound quality ... i dont have requirements just in term of overall volume

Edit : lets be practical , im thinking of fiio e12 or o2amp

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #2,441 of 14,386
quick question ... right now im using he-400i with fiio x5 ... on low gain im listening the volume most of the time at 90/120 ... i would like to know if adding an amp will change the sound signature cause i read sometimes that a better amp will improve bass extension and overall sound quality ... i dont have requirements just in term of overall volume

Edit : lets be practical , im thinking of fiio e12 or o2amp
yes e12 adds a little bass. Not much..

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2,443 of 14,386
Difference compared to the Focus pads?  If so, their impact on the 400i's sound isn't as well documented as with the 560.  However, the 400i has a little hump around 4khz much like the 560, and it's probably safe to assume that if the Focus-A mitigate that resonance on the 560 by dropping the 4khz region down by around 3db, then it probably does the same with 400i.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,444 of 14,386
  Difference compared to the Focus pads?  If so, their impact on the 400i's sound isn't as well documented as with the 560.  However, the 400i has a little hump around 4khz much like the 560, and it's probably safe to assume that if the Focus-A mitigate that resonance on the 560 by dropping the 4khz region down by around 3db, then it probably does the same with 400i.

Hm, that could be interesting. Hope someone chimes in with direct experience.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,445 of 14,386
Just received it.. Really amazing ..
Playing various genre with fiio x5 and woo factor happen quite soon ...

Just notice something with pop song mostly.. snare are a bit proheminent and take my attention over vocals .. just think its a bit too much

Dont know if i need to blame the headphone or my mind but i ll see ... or maybe the amp is not powerfull enought so the emphase is even more on high mids. ..

Overall its really revealing and i if the mastering is not good you can definitly tell . some easy listening pop are really flat and not defined and i guess they are to blame . some other as too much u shaped i was surprise how different some good materials sound compared to others
headphones will have this effect generally because they can't have a perfectly flat response but Its something that you will probably adjust to. . Also, these headphones are very revealing to most normal headphones and what you're hearing now is probably the songs sounding closer to what it was intended to sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back