**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 24, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #7,832 of 22,116
Quote:
Couldn't you just take the e17 and leave the magni/modi they are basically almost the same thing. I would recommend you take all your electronics and buy a padded backpack and take them with you on board the plane as a carry on. You really don't want to put them in your luggage since they throw them around or sometimes they open them and stuff gets stolen. ( I travel alot)

I don't want to leave the Magni and Modi. I'm not taking these things for my own personal usage, I'm taking them because my friend in California wants to hear them. If I were considering this a trip where I needed portable listening, I'd jut go with IEMs and not the HE-400 at all. As it stands, I'm taking the HE-400 and I think the Magni gives them the best sound. And I do not believe they are "basically almost the same thing." The E17 is quite muddy in comparison to the Magni. Everything opens up with the extra power, in my opinion.

I am not worried about the M&M in the luggage at all, they will literally be at the heart of two weeks worth of clothes with a bunch of bubble wrap around them. Trying to figure out what to do with the HE-400 though. May remove the cable and wear them on.

But thank you for the concern, I may do the padded backpack as carry on as opposed to my laptop back. Never really even considered getting something a little bit bigger and actually easy to carry than my laptop bag, which barely fits my hard drive in it.
Quote:
Isn't there some risk involved in passing orthodynamic headphones through metal detectors?

How could there be risk? These things go through metal detectors when they come into the country.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #7,833 of 22,116
Quote:
Here's a different kind of question: have any of you traveled with your HE-400 or other expensive headphones? I'm going on a trip in April, via plane, and I don't think I'll be taking much more than clothes, my HE-400, HE-300, Magni, Modi and Fiio E17 on top of my Laptop and external hard drive.

Should I wear the HE-400 onto the plane so they aren't packed? Will I run into trouble taking them on the plane? If I pack them, is there any particular method that is recommended, or any case that might be a good idea? With the Magni and Modi, they're nicely shaped and small, I was just gonna heavily wrap those in clothes. My carry on bag will be my laptop bag with my hard drive and Kindle in it, won't be room for the HE-400 or HE-300.

Tips? Thoughts?I

Quote:
I don't want to leave the Magni and Modi. I'm not taking these things for my own personal usage, I'm taking them because my friend in California wants to hear them. If I were considering this a trip where I needed portable listening, I'd jut go with IEMs and not the HE-400 at all. As it stands, I'm taking the HE-400 and I think the Magni gives them the best sound. And I do not believe they are "basically almost the same thing." The E17 is quite muddy in comparison to the Magni. Everything opens up with the extra power, in my opinion.

I am not worried about the M&M in the luggage at all, they will literally be at the heart of two weeks worth of clothes with a bunch of bubble wrap around them. Trying to figure out what to do with the HE-400 though. May remove the cable and wear them on.

But thank you for the concern, I may do the padded backpack as carry on as opposed to my laptop back. Never really even considered getting something a little bit bigger and actually easy to carry than my laptop bag, which barely fits my hard drive in it.
How could there be risk? These things go through metal detectors when they come into the country.

Yes it can be done. I brought them along as a carry-on for a month-long trip, still alive and kicking. Was worried about the temperature change so I wrapped them in lots of towels and kept them in a very wide briefcase. Obviously twist the cables off. Metal detectors were not an issue.

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #7,834 of 22,116
Quote:
The HE-400s sound good when the treble is EQed. I could sell and go for the HD 650s but those aren't fast enough for electronic music or they might be boomy from what I hear. I could go for the HE-500 but I can't afford good quality amplification for it. Or I could keep an EQed HE-400. 

I spent a while thinking about it and I think I'm going to keep these headphones for a good while and try and buy some better warm-sounding amplification (I'm thinking the Aune T1) for them. Then down the road I'll save up for the inevitable LCD-2 upgrade. The LCD-2 seems to match what I want out of my headphones 100%, they're just out of my price range. 

I know it's subjective but ... don't switch HE-400 for HD650 ... imo it's like 2 levels downgrade.

edit : Saw someone post EQ preset so, here is the one I'am using now ... still working on it actually :) it feels like never ending run 
tongue_smile.gif

If you guys made better one I would love to try it 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #7,835 of 22,116
Quote:

I know it's subjective but ... don't switch HE-400 for HD650 ... imo it's like 2 levels downgrade.

edit : Saw someone post EQ preset so, here is the one I'am using now ... still working on it actually :) it feels like never ending run 
tongue_smile.gif

If you guys made better one I would love to try it 
smily_headphones1.gif

No way...
blink.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #7,837 of 22,116
Well it's down the sound signature that suits him better. He obviously likes what the HE400 offers more than what the HD650 offers. That's to say really tight and extended bass and treble sparkle, more u shaped. I know I would prefer the HE-400's sound sig.

And about the EQing, I think this could really take off. Maybe with the help of the community we could come up with an ultimate HE400 EQ that fixes the HE-400's "flaws".

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #7,838 of 22,116
Feb 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #7,839 of 22,116
^^ Exactly. I never pretend to tell people what sounds better to them. I can only tell people what sound better to me. 

SO...to me, there is no way that I'd put the 650 two levels below the he400. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #7,840 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ Exactly. I never pretend to tell people what sounds better to them. I can only tell people what sound better to me. 

SO...to me, there is no way that I'd put the 650 two levels below the he400. 

Yeah - My bad..  +1 on this Matt   IMO   There is no way the HE-400s are a 2 level upgrade to the HD650s

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #7,842 of 22,116
Quote:

No way...
blink.gif

Definitely yes way, if I would use the HD650 on the same amp as I am using now with the HE-400. That would be the internal amp of the audinst hud-mx1 :D

Considering amplification price I do think the HE-400 is better than the HD650 for the price. Also, using the HE-400 with the J$s makes them sound really neutral.
With the J$s and the pleather dust screen there is absolutely no doubt, the HE-400s are technically better than the HD650s. But I wouldn't be surprised if people would still like the
HD650 more, just not on the amp I'm using now..

Note, I only used the HD650 with the fiio E9, so I never got to tap it's full potential.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #7,843 of 22,116
Quote:

No way...
blink.gif

Definitely yes way, if I would use the HD650 on the same amp as I am using now with the HE-400. That would be the internal amp of the audinst hud-mx1 :D

Considering amplification price I do think the HE-400 is better than the HD650 for the price. Also, using the HE-400 with the J$s makes them sound really neutral.
With the J$s and the pleather dust screen there is absolutely no doubt, the HE-400s are technically better than the HD650s. But I wouldn't be surprised if people would still like the HD650 more, just not on the amp I'm using now..

Note, I only used the HD650 with the fiio E9, so I never got to tap it's full potential.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #7,844 of 22,116
Quote:

With the J$s and the pleather dust screen there is absolutely no doubt, the HE-400s are technically better than the HD650s. But I wouldn't be surprised if people would still like the
HD650 more, just not on the amp I'm using now..

So that would make it a double no way..
biggrin.gif
  If you haven't taped it's full potential..  

Also about being technically better??  You may be getting into uncharted territories with that statement.   Just saying..

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #7,845 of 22,116
Quote:
Here's a different kind of question: have any of you traveled with your HE-400 or other expensive headphones? I'm going on a trip in April, via plane, and I don't think I'll be taking much more than clothes, my HE-400, HE-300, Magni, Modi and Fiio E17 on top of my Laptop and external hard drive.

Should I wear the HE-400 onto the plane so they aren't packed? Will I run into trouble taking them on the plane? If I pack them, is there any particular method that is recommended, or any case that might be a good idea? With the Magni and Modi, they're nicely shaped and small, I was just gonna heavily wrap those in clothes. My carry on bag will be my laptop bag with my hard drive and Kindle in it, won't be room for the HE-400 or HE-300.

Tips? Thoughts?

I'm thinking the official HiFIMan travel case would probably be the best bet (of if you could craft something similar).  Aside from that, you'll probably just want alot of padding and make sure they don't move alot or get crushed.  I personally wouldn't want to take them out (in the airport, etc.) until I reached my destination, so just making sure they are packed well should be sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back