**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #7,112 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ We don't do it for the money brother!

I don't have any of those combos but I believe the ODAC is better than the modi by a very tiny margin. Same goes for the O2 vs the magni, I believe.
I'd still pick the M&M combo because it's cheaper, and much better looking.

Haha, free help is appreciated too! But how would you say the ODAC is better than the Modi? Any links to any impressions of those two vs each other would be helpful, I like solid, subjective evidence :)

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #7,113 of 22,116
For an all in one combo look at Audio GD. The nfb series is good. NFB12.1 is quite good. But for $200 I don't think that you can beat the m/m stack.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #7,114 of 22,116
Quote:
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=16

eek.gif

Asgard 2

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 380mW
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 190mW

Looks like it will run high impedance loads much better than the original. 1watt at 32ohm is pretty standard though, even the Magni has more power there. Still, it's not just about power, and it still costs the same as the original. I think it's worth looking into.

Holy crap!! The A2 looks sexy. Gotta figure out what I can sell off to afford it.
redface.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #7,116 of 22,116
^^ yeah, I think that you're right. Sell it NOW, but the word on the A2 hits the streets.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm liking the trickle down tech being used from the mojo. This amp looks really good!!

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #7,117 of 22,116
Quote:
Alright brothers and sisters, let's say that I hypothetically sold my PS3 for around $250 and wanted to spend every bit of that money on a desktop amp and DAC, what are all of my options that are worth considering? I know of the M&M stack and the O2/ODAC, but are those the only ones I should debate among? And what are the strengths of each for the HE-400, as well as how would they scale when I inevitably (within the next 3 years) purchase the LCD-2? Thank you! If you're really helpful, I may PayPal you $1 :) (but only the most helpful person)

Well, in my case - based on my experience, the situation recommended for you would be as follows:

1) Purchase the Schiit Magni amplifier.  It is a solid piece.  It performs well.  It is very good for the cost.

2) Purchase the Muse Mini DAC, which is based on the Burr-Brown PCM 2704 chip.  It features the option of accepting a USB input.  It can also convert the USB to an optical or digital COAX signal if you have a future DAC or combo that may require a digital input to play music that is higher than 16-bit tracks.

Cost: At the moment, the costs would be approximately $130.00, for both pieces and before shipping.  This would mean that you would have a powerful amp to drive a potential future Audeze purchase, as well as some flexibility on the DAC end, and have a DAC that has a reasonable / good house sound that Burr-Brown is known for.

PayPal Payment: No need to send me a $1.00.  Please feel free to donate it to your local charity instead.

Thank you!

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #7,119 of 22,116
Quote:

Haha, free help is appreciated too! But how would you say the ODAC is better than the Modi? Any links to any impressions of those two vs each other would be helpful, I like solid, subjective evidence :)

Check this out brotha

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-magni-modi-vs-o2-odac/270#post_9078920

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #7,121 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ I will be comparing the m/m combo against the odac and e09 tonight.  Will post some thoughts tomorrow. 

I hope not to skew your listening session, but if your ears have any credibility at all, the Schiit Magni will edge out the Fiio E09 by a small margin.  However, please don't let my comments influence you or what you may hear this evening.  
biggrin.gif

However, I do wish for you to have an enjoyable time.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #7,122 of 22,116
^^ It's so rare to get to go out and sit down with friends who are into the hp scene. I had nobody, but then finally was able to convert a friend who lives about 25 minutes away to try out the he400. He was seriously into full sized speakers many years ago, so it wasn't a difficult conversion.

The cool thing is that he knows a good bit about good sound already. He just got the m/m stack in yesterday, although he did get a little crap from the little Mrs. Forgot to tell him about setting up the secret pp account...noob. 
size]

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #7,123 of 22,116
Hey there, didn't have time to read through this whole thread but I I've got a quick question.  I know there have been multiple "versions" of the HE-400s, the newest which many regard as the best sounding one.  Has anyone had experience purchasing them from http://www.crutchfield.com/S-r2zUT7ZwSzN/p_818HE400/HiFiMAN-HE-400.html ?  I just wanted to know if they are indeed selling the newest version.  Thanks!

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #7,124 of 22,116
No crutchfield for me. I would go with headamp.com. Justin is awesome!! He will get them to you nice and quick and I think is including the velours. I prefer to use small business when I can. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #7,125 of 22,116
Quote:
No crutchfield for me. I would go with headamp.com. Justin is awesome!! He will get them to you nice and quick and I think is including the velours. I prefer to use small business when I can. 

I'd agree with that.  They're also a whole $4 cheaper (lol) and come with velour pads on the side for free.

Edit: To actually answer your question, Dwong, all retail versions of the HE-400 should be on the newest/best version of driver if you're buying new.  The previous version was recalled and retailers aren't selling it anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back