**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #4,876 of 22,116
Hello everyone! I received my HE-400 about 5 days ago and have been loving them! I have a problem though: on the cable for the left side, the screw on part doesn't stay on the cable well, and so the cable on the left side won't stay in. If I contact Hifiman, will they want me to ship the cable back? I don't want to wait weeks to listen to these again when they aren't broken or anything.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #4,877 of 22,116
Quote:
The maddog is impressively good. Smoother mids and treble than the he400. But he400 is better on bass despite being open.

Interesting.

Wish I had known about them when I got my he-400 (and returned hd-650 after a week through amazon) as an actual contender, but oh well. Closed back is nice for if I were to ever leave my room with the pair. But that's what I use open for, desktop and isolated listening.

In the end, I do really really like my he-400. Even though I originally was going to sell them, pocket change, and get something like hd-600, I sold my hd595 and udac2 so it wasn't as bad for the wallet as I originally expected.

Getting excited for my leatherette headband this week.

If any one is making custom back grills and selling or has an extra set (I have zero craftsmanship, tried soldering px100 cable back together and it works but it was not a pretty job), I would be interested.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #4,878 of 22,116
Quote:
Hello everyone! I received my HE-400 about 5 days ago and have been loving them! I have a problem though: on the cable for the left side, the screw on part doesn't stay on the cable well, and so the cable on the left side won't stay in. If I contact Hifiman, will they want me to ship the cable back? I don't want to wait weeks to listen to these again when they aren't broken or anything.

Try connecting the cable like shown in this video http://vimeo.com/38792502 and see if it helps.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #4,879 of 22,116

Gonna give velour a shot for the long-haul.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #4,881 of 22,116
Quote:
Currently I'm mostly using the HE500 because I don't have a place to put the HE400 alongside. Once I figure that out I will be listening to them depending on the genre of music and mood. IMO they are sufficiently different-sounding (HE500 = very neutral and mild, HE400 = very fun and dynamic) to be complementary.

I sold my HE500 about 6 months ago, so I can only go off memory but I feel like the HE500 sounded a little bit more full, bigger bass presence and slightly better instrument separation.  Do you find this to be the case or is my memory deceiving me?    

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #4,883 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm intrigued about finding this version, too.  I wonder if it was only available as an import.  Here's the back cover of the 2004 version - and the songs are in a different order.

I don't think it is a real release, personally. What.cd has tons of releases on there. It was a bonus disc in 2004, and then the bonus disc was released as the "rarities" version in 2010, but with the track listing above, not the one on Mog. Or at least, I don't think it was ever compiled in anything other than MP3 form.

Here is a screen shot of some of the things that What.CD has available for DL for it.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #4,884 of 22,116
Listening to OK Computer while laying down and closing my eyes, bliss.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4,885 of 22,116
Quote:
Did you guys ever consider getting T50rp modded instead of He-400 to save some cash?

I noticed you got the maddogs Matt, how you liking them?

I've successfully weaned myself off of the T50s.  The Mad Dogs do have some merit and I've experienced many of the other variants - both personally and vicariously and can say that the T50RP should never be considered a replacement to the HE-400, especially if one desires to save some money.   When you consider the HE-400 is just a small $100 stretch over a new pair of Mad Dogs, the HifiMAN is a safer bet.  There are quite a few pair of used Mad Dogs in the F/S section right now.  However, the HE-400 does a pretty good job of holding its resale value.

On the other hand, if you have some spare money laying around, it's not a bad move to go for a pair of Mad Dogs to use in addition to your HE-400s.  Plus, with the HE-400s, we have a club going here.  Once you've posted in this thread, you are officially a member.  The rules of the club are:

# 1) Don't talk about the HE-400s outside of this forum or within the environment of a headphone meet.  All discussions outside of those areas are prohibited.

# 2) If you sell your HE-400s, then come back into the thread here looking for support or for us to tell you if you should re-buy another pair of HE-400s, we can't help you with that decision.

# 3) You must never mention "Beats" or "Bose" within this HE-400 thread on the forum.

# 4) If you feel you must sell your HE-400s, then they have to be offered to one of the members within this thread, for 25%, or more of a discount off of the price originally paid.

Just a few simple rules to keep things straight around here.  
size]

I did stumble across a somewhat-older "Gem" earlier today, and I have them on my head right now.  I'm pushing some music out via FooBar to my Magni and Modi and onto the Sennheiser HD-555s.  I had a pair about 3 years ago and sold them off as I was getting into Grado headphones.  Normally, the HD-555 gets tagged as a somewhat weak bass headphone.  But, the mids and highs on them are perfect and I'm realizing that the bass isn't so anemic at all - especially when pushed with the amp.  I wonder how many of those who commented on the weak bass were using an amp?  The ear pad had a small "separation" where the velour has come loose for a 1" section of the plastic retainer tab.  There was a small crack on the pivot for one of the ear cups and a few scratches here and there.  But, at $30.00, they are crazy good.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #4,886 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't think it is a real release, personally. What.cd has tons of releases on there. It was a bonus disc in 2004, and then the bonus disc was released as the "rarities" version in 2010, but with the track listing above, not the one on Mog. Or at least, I don't think it was ever compiled in anything other than MP3 form.

Here is a screen shot of some of the things that What.CD has available for DL for it.

Hey thanks James. At least this clears some things up for me. It's the "out takes" that are actually my favorite and was able to hear through MOG. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #4,887 of 22,116
Today and I'm enjoying a newly acquired iem. Yeah, I know...I used to hate them also. It's nice to be able to grab my diminutive Sansa Clip zip and the iem's and sit on the couch and check out the football game. The closest signature that I can compare them to is the hd600 and it's actually pretty dang close. Lot's of fun for $150 shipped. 
size]

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #4,888 of 22,116
Quote:
Today and I'm enjoying a newly acquired iem. Yeah, I know...I used to hate them also. It's nice to be able to grab my diminutive Sansa Clip zip and the iem's and sit on the couch and check out the football game. The closest signature that I can compare them to is the hd600 and it's actually pretty dang close. Lot's of fun for $150 shipped. 
size]

I love IEMs, but I already had my winning combination, so I sold my UE-900 to get the HE-400. The $400 was more useful to me as HE-400 than an IEM. I will say, though, that the UE-900 wasn't entirely unlike the sound signature of the HE-400, now that I think about it.

For IEMs, I use the Miles Davis Trumpet (insanely good, I believe) and the Brainwavz B2, depending on what music I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back