**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #14,041 of 22,116

I still think the most important EQ setting for these is a boost in the 2-6KHz region of about 3-4dB. It makes them much more lively, the vocals more clear, and I don't have to kill the treble as much (only a 2-3dB dip at 10kHz). I would be interested in testing your EQ if you could post the settings file here please, its a bit hard to replicate it, thanks.

I made another one last night I will post the file, is it possible to upload files to the forum? If not I will upload it somewhere else and post a link to the download.

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #14,044 of 22,116

Not sure you can upload here, just post a link to sendspace or mediafire.

Will do that tomorrow, I will upload the file with the points plotted on it then you can adjust it how you want, just don't change the shape much. Not sure how much variation there is between different revisions of HE400, I have the white grille ones with jerg modded leather pads. Should be about the same unless you have the rev.1.

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #14,045 of 22,116
Yeah +1 on electronic music for these badboys. That bass is ferocious and the layering and space is so cool. makes for one hell of a journey through space and time.

my amperiors are also a great electronic can for anyone who is interested. The bass is more punchy than he-400 but not nearly on the same level of quality as the 400, obv. still very engaging and delicious sound through just an iphone

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #14,046 of 22,116
Hi...thanks for the efforts in providing this for us.  One small thing I need help with.  Downloaded the Electri-q program and installed, but only get one plugin - dsp_electriq.dll  Don't see the dsp_electriq (posihfopit edition).dll anywhere.  Any idea where it could be found?  

Thanks,
Darren

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #14,047 of 22,116
  Hi...thanks for the efforts in providing this for us.  One small thing I need help with.  Downloaded the Electri-q program and installed, but only get one plugin - dsp_electriq.dll  Don't see the dsp_electriq (posihfopit edition).dll anywhere.  Any idea where it could be found?  

Thanks,
Darren

You need to download and install both standard and poshopit edition, open the standard program change window size then close. After than use poshopit only. Put the .dll in your foobar > components folder.

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #14,048 of 22,116
Sorry for being a bit thick...but when I go to the link provided it only provides one download option for an .exe file.  Don't see the poshopit version shown independently.  This is the link provided, correct?

http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/vst-plugins/eqs-filters/electri-q/

Thanks again for your help.  Total newbie here with first set of phones :)  HE-400 with Schitt Modi/Magni

Darren

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #14,049 of 22,116
You should install the standard one and also the poshopit one and put both the .dll files in the foobar components directors.... When you install the standard one it asks you where you want to install the program and the VST file. You need to put that into foobar. poshipit is just a .dll I IIRC. So put that in the same place then open it in the taskbar using the VST wrapper tray icon.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #14,050 of 22,116
Right...understand that, but I don't see where to get the poshopit one?  Not sure if it is supported or offered any more based on the wording on the site as there is only one download available.

Any place else to get it?

Cheers,
Darren

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #14,051 of 22,116
AM so happy i am a pragmatist..no worries about those kind of things.. It would probably crash my simple brain anyway :D

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #14,052 of 22,116
  Right...understand that, but I don't see where to get the poshopit one?  Not sure if it is supported or offered any more based on the wording on the site as there is only one download available.

It used to be on the link below.. but it seems that's dead now.
http://www.aixcoustic.com/uploads/media/Electri-Q_(posihfopit)_Install.exe

It's still here though..
http://www.vstplanet.com/VST_effects/Filters/Electri-Q_(posihfopit)_Install.exe

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #14,053 of 22,116
I think the reason the HE400 respond so well to EQ and mods is that they have very good drivers which are capable of producing all frequencies from sub bass up to ultrasonic frequencies. Other than the uneven frequency response they do not have any obvious flaws such as bad soundstage, closed sound, slow response and all the usual things that headphones around this price range usually have... at least one obvious flaw which cannot be fixed. If you want to change the frequency response on the HE400 you can make them sound almost however you want because the drivers are good to excellent with all frequencies, especially the bass.

This is a good point. The 400 responds better to EQ than any hp I've personally owned. I wonder if all planar phones respond as well to EQ.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #14,055 of 22,116
This is a good point. The 400 responds better to EQ than any hp I've personally owned. I wonder if all planar phones respond as well to EQ.

With the he500 and with the jergpadds by modulor 2.5 u dont have the need to change anything by eq...as its already a balanced phone...the he300 i also owned, was a very dark relaxed phone...i think u have to equalize a lot to change that signaturebut i think people buy that phone just because it sounds like that...so that group doesnt need to eq also..but the he400 has peaks on both sides of the audio spectrum..so that hp is very sensitive to eq..and i understand it does wonders to the he400..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back