**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 8, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #9,514 of 22,116
Well, i finaly managed to find a site in Poland that delivers the Beyer Velour Pads.
Lucky me Winter is still here for some reason or i would not be able to use my he-400 due to heat/sweat.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #9,515 of 22,116
I know this isn't related to the HE-400, but it certainly effects my usage of them. Has anybody here suffered from an ear canal blockage and how have you dealt with it? Yesterday while using a Q-tip, I may or may not have accidently pushed some wax deeper than I should have, resulting in my left ear having diminished hearing, rendering my headphone listening sessions unenjoyable and pointless. Sounds tilt towards the right channel.

I got some ear drops at a pharmacist but im not too optimistic, perhaps a doctor appointment is in order.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #9,517 of 22,116
Quote:
I know this isn't related to the HE-400, but it certainly effects my usage of them. Has anybody here suffered from an ear canal blockage and how have you dealt with it? Yesterday while using a Q-tip, I may or may not have accidently pushed some wax deeper than I should have, resulting in my left ear having diminished hearing, rendering my headphone listening sessions unenjoyable and pointless. Sounds tilt towards the right channel.

I got some ear drops at a pharmacist but im not too optimistic, perhaps a doctor appointment is in order.

I would recommend trying to flush with warm water over the course of a few days, as that should loosen any compacted wax and it should then naturally work it's way out.  I've not tried ear drops, but I typically just use warm water in the morning and it seems to irrigate well enough.  Beyond that, you may need to schedule an appointment to have a cleaning if the problem persists, probably with an ENT or audiologist.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #9,518 of 22,116
Quote:

I have a blockage in my right ear, which seems to block out some sound randomly. It can go away when I yawn, but I think I want the earwax removed by an audiologist too.
Ear drops probably won't help much, but if they do please tell us!

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #9,519 of 22,116
Quote:
hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell how good the He 400 are with (post-)Hardcore, Metalcore, southern Metal stuff, like
Every time I die, Bring me the horizon, Letlive, Sick of it all and so on

I'd say they fare pretty well in these genres, but it's fairly dependent on the recording quality.  Some albums, while still sounding as good as with most headphones, aren't going to bloom like one might with higher production levels.  I listen to post-hardcore and post-metal stuff mainly, but hardcore and it's variants (grindcore, metalcore, etc.) sound pretty good to my ears with these.  I was enjoying Converge's most recent release the other day, actually. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #9,520 of 22,116
Impacted ear wax is no fun.

The first thing to do is STOP using cu-tips. I have never had a health professional suggest to me that they are useful cleaning tools. The design of the things will always push wax into your ear. All you need is one ambitious push with one of those to put wax where it doesn't belong.

If you want to clean out you ear, the following has helped me in the past.

a) while in the shower, allow water to spray into your canal. Gently massage the area between your jaw and the back of your ear. Gently pull your lobe down while water enters. Allow water to drain out naturally (daily maintenance).

b) using a dropper and a 50/50 solution of high strength alcohol (I use 90%), and ordinary vinegar, tilt head and place 5-6 drops into the affected ear. Remain tilted for thirty seconds. Then, put head upright and allow to drain naturally. This is both useful disinfectant, and a good wax softener (if you buy ear stuff in-store you will find they usually contain alcohol as a main element). It can burn, but so far hasn't killed me.

Repeat the treatment up to maybe 3 times a day, but be patient - the wax is being softened and will make its way out. Use NO cu-tips to dig it out. Stick to shower / drop treatment.

When impacted, it can take a few days to go back to normal. In the mean time, avoid using your headphones at all - you will have a "channel imbalance" and blame the Amp manufacturer.
biggrin.gif
But seriously, I think HPs heat up the ear, soften the wax, and can cause build-up. I sometimes listen (at low-mid volume) for hours a day, and noticed that I have to take days off at a time. The HE-400 sometimes create a lasting fatigue I didn't experience with my Sennheisers.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #9,521 of 22,116
Yeah I have since done some reading and have found that q-tips are a big no no. I generally just clean the outer areas with q-tips which is alright but I guess I went a little too deep and pushed some wax back.

The drops I got are called Cerumol ear drops, they contain peanut oil which I hear works great for softening the wax and allowing it to drain out. I take them twice a day for up to 5 days. If they don't help im gonna have to see someone, maybe get a nice thorough cleaning done. I just hope this situation doesn't cause any permanent damage, I would be distraught. I'm already missing my HE-400s, and some of my new downloads are begging to be listened to.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #9,522 of 22,116
I've had problems with wax blockage in the past. I was able to cure the problem in different way.

First, I went to the doctor and the nurse used a large syringe full of warm purified water to irrigate the ear canals. It really hurt but on the third try she was able to evacuate the was and everything was perfect again. 

The next time it happened, the nurse was not able to successfully complete the evacuation and they had to send me home with a kit that can be picked up from any pharmacy. There is a solution that helps to melt and loosen the wax. Then there is a bottle compressed saline solution that you use after a few days. This also worked eventually but takes patience. 

None of this is much fun but has to be taken care. The Q-tips are a real danger and I strongly suggest not using them. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #9,523 of 22,116
Quote:
I've had problems with wax blockage in the past. I was able to cure the problem in different way.

First, I went to the doctor and the nurse used a large syringe full of warm purified water to irrigate the ear canals. It really hurt but on the third try she was able to evacuate the was and everything was perfect again. 

The next time it happened, the nurse was not able to successfully complete the evacuation and they had to send me home with a kit that can be picked up from any pharmacy. There is a solution that helps to melt and loosen the wax. Then there is a bottle compressed saline solution that you use after a few days. This also worked eventually but takes patience. 

None of this is much fun but has to be taken care. The Q-tips are a real danger and I strongly suggest not using them. 

Yeah the drops im using will take some days, im just so impatient lol. I've read somewhere that syringing can cause tinnitus, is that possible?

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #9,524 of 22,116
My programming teacher in college had that same problem if I'm not mistaken. He said he found a homemade solution on the internet involving warm water and vinegar?(can't remember very well if it was really vinegar). Try googling it.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #9,525 of 22,116
Quote:

Yeah the drops im using will take some days, im just so impatient lol. I've read somewhere that syringing can cause tinnitus, is that possible?

Not that I know. They have also used a pump action water bottle to do the same thing for me at the doctors office. It creates a "surge" action that is often helpful for evacuation. This could certainly be done at home if you have someone to help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back