**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #9,331 of 22,116
@Jerg

I tried to find a good spl app for my iPhone, and I have found something that seem reasonable, measuring average values. The values I get for 25, +12dB on the e17 with the HE-500 using the song you posted is 85-90 dB on the louder passages. Else 80-85dB.

Actually, I tend to believe that measurements are correct. Even cut out a piece of cardboard I could put the mic end of my iPhone into, then covering the cup with the cardboard while measuring.

So, I tend to believe you listen slightly too loud, Jerg.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #9,332 of 22,116
Whatever SPL the iPhone reads is probably higher in reality.  No doubt the iPhone's mic has a sensitivity rolloff in the bass region.  There was one SPL meter I used with my iDevice, and I averaged at about 75db, but I know it's not entirely accurate.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #9,333 of 22,116
Quote:
Whatever SPL the iPhone reads is probably higher in reality.  No doubt the iPhone's mic has a sensitivity rolloff in the bass region.  There was one SPL meter I used with my iDevice, and I averaged at about 75db, but I know it's not entirely accurate.

True. I am positive that the results are correct within some 5 dB, though.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #9,334 of 22,116
Quote:
It is indeed indicative of the recordings moreso than the actual headphone, but who cares?  The bottom line is there's still a problem, and reducing the HE-400's upper treble to be more in-line with completely neutral goes a long way in helping these.  Even in really well recorded songs, things such as the hi-hat stand out far too much with the HE-400.  Once again though, it's an easy fix to just EQ the upper treble down with a gentle rolloff, so I pity anybody whose either not liked and/or sold the HE-400 mainly because of its treble.

I disagree that "there's still a problem" (that you can fix), if really bad sibilance is occurring mostly at the recording level. But I do agree that I've trimmed the upper treble also - but mainly because, like you, the cymbals are too prominent for me in a lot of music. They would be in concert also, but I like to 'distort' my music presentation to be more revealing of the mid-range and bass.

Some people complaining about these cans have to be totally spoiled. If you want to hear some crappy speaker-bourne sibilance, please come sit in my car and listen to the polks. They harder you push them, the worse they get! That said, they hold together pretty well under most conditions. But my god, if the HE-400 are 'sibilant', than my Polks must be a 1-letter alphabet. 

The one lesson in Audio that I have learned is that it is ALWAYS better to have speakers that need to be 'tuned-down', than speakers that need to be 'tuned-up'. A few slight tweaks to the HE-400 have made them unrivaled to my ears so far. They have an awesome blend of attack, aggressiveness, and refinement.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #9,335 of 22,116
I really don't know why people are saying that the HE-400 still has a problem and by problem meaning the trebles to bright or harsh.  I think the treble goes perfect with the warm signature of the mids and bass,there were a few time I wish my SM3 V2 had more prominent treble as they sounded a bit to dark a lot of times.  With the HE-400's highs they reveal a lot of detail that would be missing if they were more laid back and smoother.  

Like I said earlier I've always disliked really bright treble and I don't find these to be really bright like I did at first but it was just because I was listening to such warm and sometimes dark IEM's like the SM3, BA200 or RE262.

If you can still find some I believe the first HE-400's with the black plastic around the drivers had highs that are laid back and smooth and someone that has them might even want to trade because they want Rev 2.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #9,336 of 22,116
^you have rev. 1?

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #9,337 of 22,116
No I have Rev 2 with the more crisp treble and I really like it now though at first like a lot of people thought it was a bit to bright.  After a week or so of brain burn-in I started to like the treble and I think it really fits well with the over all sound signature.

Now I listen to mainly EDM/electronica and detailed crisp treble is quite an important for that style of music.  With the IEM's I used to have most of all my favorites were warm with laid back treble but as they were mostly balanced armatures they still had plenty of detail.  The HE-400 imo needs brighter treble to highlight the detail and of the headphones I've listen to they have the most detail out of all of them.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #9,338 of 22,116
You might be able to imagine how the treble response mess with the tonality of instruments and singers, though. For EDM I doubt I would have a problem, since it is all produced by a machine, therefore tonality might not be as important.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #9,340 of 22,116
Quote:
You might be able to imagine how the treble response mess with the tonality of instruments and singers, though. For EDM I doubt I would have a problem, since it is all produced by a machine, therefore tonality might not be as important.

Yeah I get what your saying about the tone of instruments and such being off because of the treble but they a awesome for EDM.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #9,341 of 22,116
By reading some comments here you'd think HE-400 is worse than a $2 ipod earbud for instrumental songs. I find it very funny. The need to justify the investment on more expensive stuff is endless.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #9,342 of 22,116
Quote:
I guess I like the treble because I listen to mainly EDM and you need good detailed highs.  I've always been a person that's hated bright treble (my favorite IEM's are all warm with smooth highs) but for some reason I like the HE-400's.  If they really bother you EQ'ing them down helps as that's what I did for the first few days listening to the HE-400 because the treble was to bright for me but after my brain got more used to it I put them back to neutral and have had it like that ever since.

I love the HE-400 treble as well.  I came from Grado 325is.  The HE-400 treble has a similar attack but I don't find it nearly as harsh as the Grado 325is.  Also, I'm using a warmer DAC/AMP combo in the Yulong Sabre D18/A18. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #9,343 of 22,116
Quote:
By reading some comments here you'd think HE-400 is worse than a $2 ipod earbud for instrumental songs. I find it very funny. The need to justify the investment on more expensive stuff is endless.

Lol.

"Oooooh the treble on these things is atrocious and unlistenable, I can't hear anything out of the midrange, they trash my hearing, get them away from me. Well but of course they are still a super bargain for their $400 pricepoint."

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #9,344 of 22,116
Quote:

Yup :D

I don't need to justify, since I own teh HE-500, but I help others.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #9,345 of 22,116
I keep seeing posts about harsh treble but am just not detecting it.  Has anyone tried the AudioTechnica W1000X?  I think they are much brighter and harsher.  Maybe I don't notice it on the HE400s because I'm coming from Sennheiser PC350, Grado SR60, Hifiman RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back