**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #8,311 of 22,116
Quote:
If it is the computer causing the static, this would fix it. But if it is interference from some computer components, then you would also hear it when nothing is playing at all.

Just to make sure though, have you tried the he-400 with any other devices? Or any other headphones with this receiver/PC combo? It could possibly just be part of the recording and you didn't notice it before, as the HE-400's are really revealing when it comes to that kind of stuff.

EDIT: Also, what kind of soundcard do you have?

Yes I have also tried it with my HD650s and they also picked up on the static background noise when plugged into the receiver/PC combo. I have also tried this with a Little Dot MkII amplifier/PC and there has been static but it is very minimal and relatively more quiet. Comparing the little dot static vs the marantz, the receiver combo makes the static definitely more apparent.  

You do bring up some good points. These could all be a combination of the computer components, songs and receiver. As for sound card, I am using just the stock one that is in my Dell PC. It is about a year and a half old. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #8,314 of 22,116
Damn I think I ought to get the LCD-3s one day just to compare them with the HE-6...

Except they are so damn expensive 
size]

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #8,315 of 22,116
Quote:
Did you order them with the velour pads? I'm not sure if they come with them or not, but if they don't, try giving them an order. 

The sound is different with both, so it doesn't hurt to find out which one suits you best. 

Yeah I'll have both ear pads so I'll see which one sounds the best but if the one that sounds the best I don't think is comfortable then I'll stick with the other but I don't think they'll sound bad no matter what ear pad I use.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #8,317 of 22,116
Quote:
Yes I have also tried it with my HD650s and they also picked up on the static background noise when plugged into the receiver/PC combo. I have also tried this with a Little Dot MkII amplifier/PC and there has been static but it is very minimal and relatively more quiet. Comparing the little dot static vs the marantz, the receiver combo makes the static definitely more apparent.  

You do bring up some good points. These could all be a combination of the computer components, songs and receiver. As for sound card, I am using just the stock one that is in my Dell PC. It is about a year and a half old. 

I know on my Vintage Yamaha CR2020 I do get background noise (a hiss) but only when I raise the volume to 8 or more but would be ear splitting levels if music was playing. I would never listen at that, Im usually at 2-3 and its quiet. It could be just the receiver noise floor you are hearing due to the HE400 sensitivity. Has the Marantz ever been serviced in its lifetime?. These are receivers from the 70s and generally should get a tune up.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #8,318 of 22,116
Can't wait 'till tomorrow! My HE400s are being DRIVEN IN from a guy from a meet I went to last weekend, he's upgrading to the HE500s, so that means I got his HE400s for $330 with FREE "Shipping". :D

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #8,319 of 22,116
Quote:
Can't wait 'till tomorrow! My HE400s are being DRIVEN IN from a guy from a meet I went to last weekend, he's upgrading to the HE500s, so that means I got his HE400s for $330 with FREE "Shipping".
biggrin.gif

Would be interested in how these sound compared to Mad Dogs with the new Alpha Pads. I'm really surprised at how they're still the same price with the new pads, which look pretty darn nice to me.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #8,320 of 22,116
Would be interested in how these sound compared to Mad Dogs with the new Alpha Pads. I'm really surprised at how they're still the same price with the new pads, which look pretty darn nice to me.
I thought the Alpha Dogs were too "Syrupey" and warm. They were way different the the HE400s. I lived with the Alpha Dogs for a while, but the HE400s are SO much better IMHO...

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #8,321 of 22,116
Hi all, the HE-400 seems perfect for me, the only thing keeping me from buying these is the drop in the upper mids.  Anyone have a problem with vocals on acoustic/musical tracks with these?  By problem, I mean does the drop in the upper mids take away from the naturalness of vocals on vocal-centric tracks?  Or is the drop in the upper mids an exagerated issue to you guys?

Also I plan on getting the velour pads.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #8,322 of 22,116
Everybody says the drop in upper mids takes away from vocals.  I don't think they do.  I compared vs the LCD2 and the LCD2 isn't some magical deity in comparison when it comes to vocals.

Dropping the HE-400's mid-upper treble will take away some of the sibilance found in its vocals though.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #8,323 of 22,116
I do. The upper mids sound nasally and thin in comparison to lower mids which sound quite natural. It's a weak area, IMHO. Made even more evident when comparing to something like the K702 Annie which has a stellar lower and upper mid section.

All in all, buy the HE400 for its v shaped sound, not necessarily for it's vocals.

As for the LCD2... best vocals I've personally heard, easily. HD650 comes a close second. The HE400 lacks a bit in comparison to those two in the female vocals. Male vocals are good though.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #8,324 of 22,116
See I like good mids especially for EDM because that's where all the melodies and most of everything is except the 4/4 kick, bass lines and high hats and all the other treble sounds.  So if the upper mids are very recessed I don't know how much I'll like that but I'm not going to speculate I get them tomorrow so I'll just have to see what I think.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #8,325 of 22,116
Quote:
Oh no rush. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the headphones' signature, appreciate its strengths and discriminate its weaknesses, then start contemplating mods.

Jerg,

your comment had me thinking. I received the J$ pads around the time I got the 400 and I did not bother to give the stock pleathers a chance. Thus, I may not have familiarized myself with the strengths, weaknesses and signature of the 400. Is this an issue and should I "downgrade" ? After all, the J$ is a mod (compared to the stock), isn't it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back