**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 19, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #7,561 of 22,116
It's good to hear that the Magni/smaller amps can do a good job with these headphones. At $100, the Magni looks like a real winner. I was tempted to go portable but a desktop amp will likely fit my listening needs a lot better (the bigger volume knob, at least).

Thanks for the input, fellas. And congrats on the budding audiophile daughter, bareyb. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your headphones, though. :wink:

--

Billy Joel's Vienna just came on random while I was petting my cat and I had the weirdest sensation that I was in a scene of a movie and the song was part of the soundtrack. It sounded cinematic and at the perfect distance. It might be time for bed.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #7,562 of 22,116
Quote:
My daughter has stolen my HE400s and refuses to give them back. She just sent me an Imagegram with the caption: "THESE ARE MINE NOW!!!!".  
biggrin.gif

I put on some Ottmar Liebert for my sister the other day from their binaural album Up Close which sounds phenomenal on the HE-400. I was floored by the album, yet my sister said "Meh, sounds like regular music to me". Needless to say I don't think she'll become anything like an audiophile. I'm still kind of angered she couldn't recognize the huge difference in quality between my 800 euro system and her generic headphones plugged straight into her laptop. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #7,563 of 22,116
Quote:
I got my HE-400s in the mail today and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. My laptop drives them well enough for the time being but I've spent the last hour or so looking at amp solutions. I'm really lusting over the new Schiit Asgard 2 but, realistically, the Magni would probably suit my needs. I'll hold off until the impressions of the Asgard 2 start coming in but I'm probably going to save the cash and get the little guy.

I'm interested in hearing how these change, if at all, over the first load of hours. They're a lot of fun to listen to so that time is sure to pass rather quickly. I'll just have to see how long I can hold off before pulling the trigger on an amp. I need to know what I'm missing out on!

I am going to get Magni and Modi in 2 days so I can let you know how does it work with HE-400 :wink: pm me if I would forget about it.

Originally Posted by jerg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EQ typically doesn't impact sound quality if you always EQ down (so never have anything over the 0 dB mark) and do gradual EQ curves, nothing with huge added peaks or dips.

I have same experience, if I EQ down or just EQ and than move it all under 0 db line .. it works absolutely fine without any degradation. 

Did little EQ on my HE-400 with velours yesterday in 4Khz region and it rly opened and brought mids "closer to me" and I absolutely love it .

As for treble on HE-400 , guess I am only one who loves it the way it is 
size]

I put on some Ottmar Liebert for my sister the other day from their binaural album Up Close which sounds phenomenal on the HE-400. I was floored by the album, yet my sister said "Meh, sounds like regular music to me". Needless to say I don't think she'll become anything like an audiophile. I'm still kind of angered she couldn't recognize the huge difference in quality between my 800 euro system and her generic headphones plugged straight into her laptop. 

Can't belive someone wouldn't love HE-400 
size]

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #7,565 of 22,116

a bit out of topic, but can anyone tells me that this is a complete set of pair left & right and male and female connector?

I'm thingking about making a detachable cable for my HP, and since my next target is HE-400, so i thought it's best for me to use this connector.

got it from ebay store

Yes, that is the proper connector.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #7,567 of 22,116
Originally Posted by Flisker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for treble on HE-400 , guess I am only one who loves it the way it is 
size]

You're not alone, bud.  I've got the HE-400 in stock form (except with velour pads instead of the pleather), and I love the sound.. treble and all.  I kind of appreciate its sound for what it is.. coloration and all.  It's just a beautiful sounding phone & compliments the HD800 well.. but the HE-400 doesn't get as much time as it deserves with this Senn flagship around.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #7,568 of 22,116
Quote:
so it's the complete sets, and all it needs is wire to solder it, thanks mate 
size]

Yes.  Correct.  I've found that a 24 gauge wire (e.g. - Mogami Neglex, Canare star quad) really works well with these connectors.  However, I've sometimes had to trim a very slight layer of the insulation off the wire for the positive conductor to get through the metal tube, so you can solder it to the tip.  The work area is small for the positive conductor.  But having a pointed soldering tip is key here.  I usually push the wire in with a small amount of insulation stripped to reveal the wire.  When I push it in, I make sure it lines up with the small tip for soldering.  I then use a toothpick to apply some flux, then move in with the soldering iron (with a heated drop of solder on the tip) and apply the solder.  This usually results in a very successful connection.  Then for the negative connection, I apply flux to the cross-hatch pattern of the connector.  I then solder the wire to the cross hatch section directly. Finally, I then use shrink tube to cover it all up and keep it secure.

I don't use those other outer barrels as it can tend to make the connector a bit bulky.  Also, if the wire is just slightly too thick you'll have to wrestle with them to get them in place.  Also, another option that one can do, is before applying the shrink tube, apply a drop of hot glue from a glue gun into the slot where you soldered the + wire.  This will provide some support if the wire would ever be tugged on too hard.  Additionally, to make for a very neat and professional job, apply a small wrapping of one or two layers over the connector where you will be applying the shrink tube.  This will work to smooth out some of the edges of the gold connector where you made your soldering points.

In the end, it will be good.  Best of luck to you !!

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #7,569 of 22,116
Quote:

I put on some Ottmar Liebert for my sister the other day from their binaural album Up Close which sounds phenomenal on the HE-400. I was floored by the album, yet my sister said "Meh, sounds like regular music to me". Needless to say I don't think she'll become anything like an audiophile. I'm still kind of angered she couldn't recognize the huge difference in quality between my 800 euro system and her generic headphones plugged straight into her laptop. 

Ouch. She could at least do you the favor of pretending to be impressed. That's what my friends and family do, at least.

Quote:

I am going to get Magni and Modi in 2 days so I can let you know how does it work with HE-400 :wink: pm me if I would forget about it.

Sounds good, man. I'm looking forward to more impressions. If you're using the E11 to drive them currently, it'll be cool to hear how the different amps impact the sound.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #7,571 of 22,116
Quote:

Ouch. She could at least do you the favor of pretending to be impressed. That's what my friends and family do, at least.

To be fair, she does recognize the difference, but it seems the upgrade isn't worth it for her. Like I said, an audiophile she will never become.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #7,572 of 22,116
Those guys probably had some expectation bias and who wants to mess up the HE-400s perfect score? I say it may be expectation bias because all the other HFM headphones are rated lower, with the HE-300 receiving very mixed reviews. This happened with the Yamaha HS80M too

It's always possible. I was the writer of the 24th "endgame" review, however, and if you notice from my review, if I had any expectation bias it was in the other direction. But these headphones have completely satisfied my listening tastes which is why, 6 months after purchasing them, I was still motivated to right a review. I can't speak for the other reviews, naturally.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #7,574 of 22,116
Ive let my cousin audition my setup (laptop foobar>Fiio E17 Dac only>Schitt Asgard 1>HE-400 and while she only said her favorite song of nowdays sounded "good", after that i gave her a taste of some better quality songs (snow of the sahara, galdiator enigma theme, stuff like that), and the next day when i went to my other cousins home (where my first cousin was 3 hours before me), everyone was asking me if "those are the amazing headphones she was talking about all day".

It takes a bit of brain burn in (my first cousin was listening to them for about 3 hours), but its very clear on how much better the quality is.

On a side note, Fiio E17 unfortunatelly is not enought for the HE-400 to really shine i fear. It might be only a 10% upgrade from the E17 to the asgard, but it sure feels like a 80% upgrade. (at least for me). I strongly suggest everyone to test it since you might be missing a lot of your HPs potential.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #7,575 of 22,116
So I kind of finished EQing 
biggrin.gif
 :

And HE-400 sounds damn good to me just with PC Foobar2000 -> Electri-Q -> FiiO E11 High Gain, Bass Boost 1 -> HE-400

I'am pretty interested in how switch of E11 for Schiit Modi -> Magni will change sound.

As for EQ graph .. when listening to HE-400 alone I feel like vocals are far from from me and can't hear them clearly over guitars, drums etc. This little change helps a lot.

Lastly ... when listening from PC do u guys use windows volume on 100% or something lower ? Heard that using 100% isn't good way to go ...

ps : Just tried The Four Seasons from Vivaldi - Summer III:presto and it's so much better than K701 that I can't belive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back