Hifiman EF-5 headphone amplifier mods and rolls
Dec 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #76 of 119
Nice work !! Please post us more of your experience on old TUBEs
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #77 of 119
I ordered full music gold pin with gold silkscreens from my local hifiman dealer - what a difference, like night and day comparing to not 'gold pin', it is completely different inside when you look inside the glass ... so I was right about it, it is low budget version which is now added as a stock tube to ef-5 so beware

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #78 of 119
I haven't tried tube rolling yet on my newly acquired EF5, but I did swap out a few sets of interconnects to see if I could brighten the sound a bit. I ended up using a set of Straightwire Flexconnect II, a Stereophile Class B product a loonnnnngg time ago. So far, it sounds just right. Cables do make a difference.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #79 of 119

If you have done some mods on EF-5 before please share your experience with us. 

Thanks for starting this thread, inter voice. How much of the modding (aside from tubes obviously) were quick swaps and how much involved breaking out the hot iron? Soldering I'm not keen on, but I plan on trying some of the simple and easily reversible mods on my EF5 soon.

Also, the plexi tube protectors look like a small hex/allen key is needed, but how to you unscrew to round hole screws on the plexi-plate and front of the amp? They look different.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #81 of 119
New EF5 owner checking in!

First impressions are excellent. Pairing wonderfully with my DacMagic 100 and HE500s with grill mod and focus pads.

When it was shipping to me I ordered NOS Westinghouse and RCA black plate tubes AND the OPA627.

Are there any other easily upgradable parts that I need to be aware of?

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #83 of 119
I've had the EF-5 for over a year, also have Music Hall 25.2 and iFi IDSD Nano. The EF-5 is pleasant sounding, easy to listen to with plenty of power,
but its not fast on transients and suffers some dynamic compression. I've replaced the stock 12AU7 with Telefunken from my tube library, can't really
do better than that without shelling out serious cash for a rare NOS tube. Had played with the op amp before, its a variant of OPA275  and replacing it
with another IC op amp just gives you garbage field results; press down the garbage in 1 area and it pops up somewhere else in playback. Having modded
a DAC before, my positive experience with the discrete Burson op amps has made me willing to take a gamble, will be trying this and report back in a week or so.
The discrete op amp won't fit in the case but the extension should allow me to use it and I may be able to put the clear plate cover back on and add protective
casing over the external Burson discrete op amp

http://www.partsconnexion.com/79213.html

http://www.partsconnexion.com/35mm-Extension.html

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #84 of 119
Ok, I`m new and just ordered an ef5. Love these mods, want to try almost all of them. I have purchased without prior knowledge, an HP envy with beats audio. Will a dac work with this set up. If so, what dac would be appropriate with sennheiser hd 650, Hifiman ef5 and a computer with beats audio? In other words I don`t think I need a 1000 dollar dac.  Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Be nice. By the way I do have a Fiio x1(new)

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #85 of 119
Ok, sorry for delayed question. What cable to adapt sennheiser hd650 to Hifiman ef5 ? Want to if possible. improve sound(hq). Currently use cordas cable with Ray Samuels Protector amp.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #88 of 119
Burson op amp arrived today, easy to put in and no compatibility problems, listening now as I type. Initial impressions positive, more snap and detail but upper highs still seem "slow".
Will need to take a peek under the case and see if this has a traditional diode bridge for DC rectification, had found with a CJ mod that avalanche diodes can help better transient
crispness suppressed by standard diodes. More in a few days after  some break in time

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #89 of 119
The Burson OP amp definitely improved clarity and ease of reproduction. While the EF-5 lacks the sparkle in the highs and crispness of the iFi Micro, it has a satisfying meatiness to the mid range
vs the "diet food" flavor of the iFi MIcro. And its far better than the stock 275 op amp or the 627AU which just didn't convey the same depth of musical detail. I've decided on top of the $70 spent
for the Burson Op amp to try $50 in other upgrade parts to see if the transient "snap" can be improved

(4) avalanche diodes
(1) Alps blue velvet pot
(6) Panasonic FR caps 35v 1000/2200uf values

Users who are viewing this thread

Back