HiFi Rose RS150B (DAC & Streamer) vs RS130 (Streamer only)
Aug 22, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 80
First and foremost, congratulations Bud for making this thread.

The RS130 WAS the type of streamer/DDC I was looking from HiRose. No DACs, no strange I2S connector (DVI, what were they thinking?). Optical Ethernet is a nice addition. WAS interested, because HiRose OS is Android based. You can install your favorite Android player in it(or was how I understood it).

Anyways, cheers! :beerchug:
And? What is the problem with Android?

Aug 22, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #17 of 80
Super interested in the RS-130. It's between the Rose and the Lumin U2 as the new source for my headphone system. Both have fibre connectivity, both have USB outputs to feed my stunning Audial S5. Both have integral LPSUs. The Rose screen is a thing of beauty, and is tipping the scales ATM.

Would love to see some owner feedback in this thread. Looks like I may have to be the first 😊

Aug 23, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #19 of 80
You can't install on it your preferred apps, because the OS is android based, but not open and there isn't any play store.
Also actually it can't used as DDC.

The base of the OS is a very old android 7.1 and there are not any planes to update it.
Doesn't it come with everything you need? What is missing?

Aug 23, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #21 of 80
If you're using the device as Roon endpoint, than all is fine.
But if you want to use it as standalone streamer or video player, than the internal software is far away from perfect...
Yes, I'd just be using it as a Roon EP. I have a Nucleus.

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #22 of 80
rs130 also has apple music and YouTube. can these two be controlled with iPhone? so to use a search engine, I am asking to search for music due to text input, etc. I understand correctly that it has a noise filter ethernet input that can be connected directly to the internet router with a basic utp cable? is the usb with noise filter only for the input? so there is no noise filtering on the usb audio output? Don't know Tidal connect? is there a difference between the digital outputs in terms of sound quality? I would use the l2s output with a musician audio aquarius dac.

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #23 of 80
A couple new reviews of the RS130:

A much more comprehensive review from HiFi News (October 2023) where they award it as an Outstanding Product. Some of their notable findings:

Linear PS with supercapacitor UPS, feeds separately regulated supplies for processors, OCXO, NVMe SSD cache, USB and Ethernet ports. Reports on revelatory sonics uncovering nuances never before heard on familiar recordings. Sonics are indistinguishable on files played via internal SSD or USB connected drive or from NAS.

Measurements section states it’s firmly in the upper echelon of music storage/streaming devices with the Aurender W20SE, Grimm MU1, Innuos Statement, AURALiC Sirius G2.1 (may have meant Aries combo since I recall they were reviewed together), and Antipodes Oladra. Jitter figures are on par with the best they’ve ever measured which were from the Aurender W20SE and N30SA.

Full review: HiFi News review of HiFi Rose RS130 network transport

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #25 of 80
I’ve definitely been happy with mine. It’s a keeper.
Great to hear! I see quite a few complaints about the Rose software user interface being very buggy. Have you experienced any such trouble? From what I read if you use Roon you avoid the SW issues but for users of the Rose app it can be an ongoing aggravation. Curious to know any other user's experiences in this regard. TIA

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #27 of 80
I have not seen any bugginess and I am waiting for the device to be roon approved still. But I’ve used it to stream YouTube videos , Spotify etc and it’s fast and no bugs. I do not use other services though
Thanks @NEXTLEVEL5, sometimes I wonder if it's just some trolls talking trash. I really appreciate you taking time to share your direct experience with it and hope to hear similarly from other HiFi Rose owners here.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #29 of 80
@duffer5 - Your signature shows your RS130 with Roon, wondering how you're able to run it that way since apparently it's still not Roon certified. If you're using the Rose software I'd be curious to know your thoughts, since I've heard of many finding the integral Rose UI to be buggy and a continual source of aggravation. TIA

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #30 of 80
@audiobill , Yes, no Roon yet. That remark is a holdover from the 150b I had prior to the RS130. The Rose software prior always had quirks / bugs but they were tolerable to a point. The last update to the Rose OS, IOS / Android apps, Mac / PC programs my RS130 is almost unusable. These updates were pushed to all users of the HIFI Rose devices about a week or so ago. Prior to that I still had issues but I could live with it. As far as Roon still not accessible by the RS130 is unexplainable at best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back