HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jan 19, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #3,151 of 3,420
Ahh this is interesting. I hadn't compared the power figures of the RS8 and DX320Max. I'm surprised that the Jewel can be that hungry! What did you notice when you gave the Jewel more power?
subjective to my ear using A100TB, improved holographic, tighter low end, upper mid slightly boosted some may call it revealing, and those EST beautiful high frequency just *smooches*, and all this while still retaining the balance and neutral presentation of Jewel.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #3,154 of 3,420
Tip for those folks who have the RS8 and CR08 and are worried about the issue of simultaneous playing music and charging the battery causing damage to the RS8. I'm using my RS8/CR08 combo as the source for my bedside music system. When feeding USB to my external DAC, the CR08 does not have to be powered-on. It will allow USB to pass data even when it's off. Now I just turn on the CR08 for charging the DAP (I won't be listening at the time), then switch it off and run the RS8 on battery without being worried about possible damage...:thumbsup:
Of course ( @Joe Bloggs ), it would be nice the have an option in the the RS8 firmware to disable USB charging when listening to music, without having to unplug or power-off anything...hint...hint... :wink:

I hope this helps...

Oh, @Joe Bloggs, can you please suggest to HiBy that any future version of CR08 please have a way to turn off the dock's LED lights? When I'm dealing with migraine headaches, I listen to music in the dark...and ANY kind of light bothers me. I have the light-blocking stickers from Amazon but it just looks so crude having to use stickers to block the lights, glowing logos, etc. Thanks in advance!
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #3,155 of 3,420
Tip for those folks who have the RS8 and CR08 and are worried about the issue of simultaneous playing music and charging the battery causing damage to the RS8. I'm using my RS8/CR08 combo as the source for my bedside music system. When feeding USB to my external DAC, the CR08 does not have to be powered-on. It will allow USB to pass data even when it's off. Now I just turn on the CR08 for charging the DAP (I won't be listening at the time), then switch it off and run the RS8 on battery without being worried about possible damage...:thumbsup:
Of course ( @Joe Bloggs ), it would be nice the have an option in the the RS8 firmware to disable USB charging when listening to music, without having to unplug or power-off anything...hint...hint... :wink:

I hope this helps...

Oh, @Joe Bloggs, can you please suggest to HiBy that any future version of CR08 please have a way to turn off the dock's LED lights? When I'm dealing with migraine headaches, I listen to music in the dark...and ANY kind of light bothers me. I have the light-blocking stickers from Amazon but it just looks so crude having to use stickers to block the lights, glowing logos, etc. Thanks in advance!
-HK sends
I 100% support your idea, disable battery charging in firmware would go a LONG way to preserve the battery!

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #3,156 of 3,420
I'm sorry but is what you guys are asking for different than the "Audio in (disable USB charging)" setting in "USB" within Settings? Is it dock-specific?

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #3,157 of 3,420
I'm sorry but is what you guys are asking for different than the "Audio in (disable USB charging)" setting in "USB" within Settings? Is it dock-specific?
Yes, it is different. What I'm talking would be "Audio Out (disable USB charging)". I actually tried the audio-in setting just in case but for using the RS8 as a digital source or transport would be sending the digital music signal out to a separate DAC. Audio in would be using the RS8 as a DAC (say, from a PC or Mac). Right now, there just isn't an option to disable charging while using the RS8 as digital source. Hope that helps...
-HK sends

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #3,158 of 3,420
Yes, it is different. What I'm talking would be "Audio Out (disable USB charging)". I actually tried the audio-in setting just in case but for using the RS8 as a digital source or transport would be sending the digital music signal out to a separate DAC. Audio in would be using the RS8 as a DAC (say, from a PC or Mac). Right now, there just isn't an option to disable charging while using the RS8 as digital source. Hope that helps...
-HK sends
Now I understand what you are looking for. Never have used my RS8 that way, so....

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #3,159 of 3,420
I just picked up a CR08 dock to use with my RS8 via xlr to desktop HP amp and coaxial to stereo receiver.

Can anyone confirm if the damages occurred specifically when using the CR08 dock or an independent charging cable/system.

I would imagine the peltier cooling with heatsink and fans should avoid this case. 🤔

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #3,160 of 3,420
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #3,162 of 3,420
Just a follow up regarding my RS8 on the CR08 dock. The unit was in dock charging and playing via balanced 4.4 LO to xlr. I experienced two temporary issues for the first time.

1. After around two hours one of the channels completely cut out suddenly when I changed tracks. This was on touchscreen next track touch, but any method I tried to change track afterwards left the right channel still cut out. Disconnected and reconnected the 4.4 and usb c problem gone.
  2. When charging alone via the dock I tapped the screen twice to wake and see the charge % and the hiby darwin boot animation started playing. This freaked me out, and so I disconnected the unit and it went back to desktop. However, when checking UAPP the app crashed and would not reopen until a restart.
😬 This makes me extremely nervous given the issues already discussed here.

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #3,163 of 3,420
Just a follow up regarding my RS8 on the CR08 dock. The unit was in dock charging and playing via balanced 4.4 LO to xlr. I experienced two temporary issues for the first time.

1. After around two hours one of the channels completely cut out suddenly when I changed tracks. This was on touchscreen next track touch, but any method I tried to change track afterwards left the right channel still cut out. Disconnected and reconnected the 4.4 and usb c problem gone.
  2. When charging alone via the dock I tapped the screen twice to wake and see the charge % and the hiby darwin boot animation started playing. This freaked me out, and so I disconnected the unit and it went back to desktop. However, when checking UAPP the app crashed and would not reopen until a restart.
😬 This makes me extremely nervous given the issues already discussed here.
My unit occasionally turns off while charging. Your nr2 might be aligned with that. I didn't think it was a big issue though since I use CR08 almost exclusively for charging

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #3,164 of 3,420
Hey there! I recently experienced some frustrating issues with my Rs8. Despite keeping my firmware up-to-date, it kept crashing while playing songs from an external SD card. I'm curious if anyone else has encountered similar problems. If you have, please let me know how you were able to resolve the issue. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back