Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jan 6, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #2,836 of 4,006
Wow, thanks max, supper time, Pete, pretardo for your advice and insights. Seems like some inconsistent views on EMI interference.

I also appreciate the comments about using the DAP as a gym player. I keep my DAP in a fanny pack, so am not bothered by weight. In the old days, I even had 2 devices in my pack, an iPod and a headphone amp, so weight won’t necessarily be an issue as I cannot imagine that the hiby r6 pro will outweigh an iPod + HeadAmp combo, and that was okay. ...just as Pete7 indicated.

My concern is the EMI interference. Given max and supper time’s = and opposite replies on this, I’ll seek some more intel from these boards before purchasing. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #2,840 of 4,006
Curious if you'd care to compare the sound of the R5 and the R6 Pro...
I'm afraid that job is up to third party reviewers and users to do... :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 7, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #2,843 of 4,006
I have an R6 Pro in stainless steel that I'm thinking about selling if anyone is interested. It's in really nice condition with all accessories and packaging. Send me a PM if interested.

I too want to sell mine because the r6pro has horrible RF noise and just overall interfere everywhere, a shame, it was a nice midfi player at a decent price

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #2,844 of 4,006
I tried to purchase an R6 Pro from Amazon.co.uk, as their only UK dealer AdvancedMP3Players.co.uk have stopped stocking their item as they said they are an awkward company to deal with. I have emails to that effect. Anyway, Hiby's store on Amazon.co.uk doesn't take the UK VAT off and as a resident of Jersey, Channel Islands, I'm not legally obliged to pay UK VAT. When I told Hiby this on their Facebook page, I was told by one of their representatives. that if I didn't want to pay the same as everyone else, I should go elsewhere!

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #2,845 of 4,006
I can understand the frustration in terms of VAT but that sounds more like a case to be taken up with the retailer and / or local government. The former should ideally cater for non-VAT residents; if not the latter should provide a mechanism to claim it back. In either case, the onus is not on the supplier and don't think it is practical / reasonable to expect them to have arrangements in place with governments in every country world-wide.

At least you have the option to purchase one relatively close to you. Others, such as myself at the southern tip of Africa, have no local distribution channel so have to pay for long distance international shipping and exorbitant customs duties and taxes which combined can easily be equivalent to the cost of the product itself.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #2,846 of 4,006
The UK retailer has stopped stocking Hiby and on Amazon.co.uk, it's Hiby themselves selling. They are selling in the UK and charging UK VAT at 20%. As I live in Jersey, Channel Islands I shouldn't have to pay UK VAT. Most sellers that have stores on Amazon.co.uk take the UK VAT off at the checkout. Not Hiby.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #2,847 of 4,006
Strange - I am having issues with the SPDIF output into my main DAC. I'm getting no sound. No issues with the Ibasso DX160 or DX90 though.
This issue about coax connections was discussed a fe pages back. And it might be helpful to look for that info first.
1) is this a new issue of not being able to connect your R6 pro to your DAC or have you recently tried this and it doesn’t work?
2) if you’re trying it for the first time, there’s a setting to toggle the output of the top left most 3.5mm port between Line Out and SPIDIF.
3) if you’ve done that you might want to look at the coax interconnect you’re using. The R6 pro needs a 4-pole 3.5mm male connector for coax. However, your DAC may require a 2-pole 3.5mm male connector. If this is the case then it’s a custom job.
Beyond this point I have no experience and might suggest that you try a USB link between your R6 pro and your DAC.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2,848 of 4,006
The UK retailer has stopped stocking Hiby and on Amazon.co.uk, it's Hiby themselves selling. They are selling in the UK and charging UK VAT at 20%. As I live in Jersey, Channel Islands I shouldn't have to pay UK VAT. Most sellers that have stores on Amazon.co.uk take the UK VAT off at the checkout. Not Hiby.
Is it possible for you to switch to the US Amazon store? They have the R6 pro listed and as far as I know, no VAT. Or work out a deal with SupperTime or Shahrm?

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #2,849 of 4,006
Thanks for the suggestion, but not interested, after a representative of Hiby telling me on their Facebook page that if I wasn't prepared to pay the same as everyone else, I should shop elsewhere, I'll never look at Hiby again. To many DAP manufacturers in the mid-tier sector to be bothered with a manufacturer who speaks to potential customers like crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back