Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 13, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,011 of 2,094
I have been using R3 Pro for a long time. I have a CL version. I really like the sound quality, the number of physical buttons and the size. But everything else is somewhat saddening - technical and software problems of the player. Sometimes it does not charge, although it shows as if it is charging. Sometimes he forgets where he left off. Often freezes and the touch does not work in the cold. After Shanling, there is a strong lack of customization functions. I'm thinking of replacing it, but is there anything for it? In order not to lose sound quality and not have to deal with a stupid sensor. And so that there is no giant heavy brick the size of a smartphone.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #2,013 of 2,094
I am a bit baffled. All the years I heared music with my Hiby R6 Pro (heavy steel one) and mostly with my Mest. Couple years back I bought an R3 Pro but never used it. Next week I will fly away and I thought it might be a good idea to take the way smaller and less heavy R3 Pro with me. I changed the micro card and started to hear my music with it. It's is like I never got the full potential out of the Mest without knowing it. Everything, and I mean everything sounds better with the R3 pro. Bass impact is so powerful, sepration is clean, more micro details, everthing has more weight and I realised some of my music (Antonio Sanchez - Shift or Pat Metheny - from this place) sounds not distorted with the R3. This is not a small difference. It's more like night and day. No MSEB or EQ is or was used on both devices.

Is the R3 pro better than the "old" R6 pro?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #2,014 of 2,094
I am a bit baffled. All the years I heared music with my Hiby R6 Pro (heavy steel one) and mostly with my Mest. Couple years back I bought an R3 Pro but never used it. Next week I will fly away and I thought it might be a good idea to take the way smaller and less heavy R3 Pro with me. I changed the micro card and started to hear my music with it. It's is like I never got the full potential out of the Mest without knowing it. Everything, and I mean everything sounds better with the R3 pro. Bass impact is so powerful, sepration is clean, more micro details, everthing has more weight and I realised some of my music (Antonio Sanchez - Shift or Pat Metheny - from this place) sounds not distorted with the R3. This is not a small difference. It's more like night and day. No MSEB or EQ is or was used on both devices.

Is the R3 pro better than the "old" R6 pro?
Could it be impedance-related? The Mest Mk 1/2 are ~16/12 Ohms. The R6 Pro output impedance was (allegedly) 10 Ohms whereas the R3 is less than 1 Ohm. If these values are true, the R3 may indeed be the better match…

Jun 19, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #2,015 of 2,094
Interesting... thanks!

I bought a Topping D90 and A50 combo for my Arya and I liked to hear music with my Mest (MK1) with it too. Because it sounded way better as with the R6 pro alone. Today I used the R3 pro as a source and there is no difference (I can hear) between the "R3 as a source -> D90 -> A50" and the "R3 pro just as a player". This means the R6 pro doesn't work well with the UM Mest.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #2,016 of 2,094
Has anyone tried using Hiby Link with Android recently? I found a Hiby video on YouTube but the options are not the same on the android app anymore.

I used to carry all my FLAC music on my Xperia phone in a micro SD. Unfortunately a recent update has made the phone practically unusable so I had to upgrade to a new phone. I did not want to go through the same issue in the future with a Sony phone, so I went with the S23 Ultra. I lost the jack and expandable storage, but since I have my R3 and DX320, I still have my options for wired sources.

One of the ways I enjoy my music is driving. I simply connected my phone through BT. I was going to put my 90GB of music into my phone, but I think I'd rather keep the space for photos and video since I want the phone to last me the next 2-3 years. I was thinking of simply attaching the R3 directly (AUX) to my truck and controlling the music through the Hiby app on my phone that I mount on the vent. But I could not get the app on my phone to connect to the R3.
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #2,017 of 2,094
Hello dears,

I'm also new to the Hiby's applications. My understading is:
  • HiByMusic contains HiByLinks and permits to listen the music library on the phone through the R3 as well as basics commands such as change song, pause/play and volume
  • HiByCast (does not contain HiByLinks) permits to manage the R3 using the phone/tablet as a "remote" as well as go through the settings of the R3. The music library is stored on the R3 as well.
Is what I have reported right?

An additional clarification: HiByCast asks that the R3 is on the same network as the phone. Does this mean that I have to pass through e.g. a WiFi router? No direct bluethoot link is possible?

Thanks in advance for any clarification and have a great day!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #2,018 of 2,094
I asked Hiby on their aliexpress shop if R3 pro saber 2022 was out of stock because of an incoming R3 Pro II, answer was "Stay tuned".
Might be tempted by this one, I prefer ports on the bottom and the volume wheel looks interesting as well.

There has been some improvements regarding processing power and UI responsivness between R3 pro/ pro saber/ pro saber 2022 or they're quite the same? Laggy interface is only a concern for massive 5000+ songs library?

Jul 17, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #2,019 of 2,094
I asked Hiby on their aliexpress shop if R3 pro saber 2022 was out of stock because of an incoming R3 Pro II, answer was "Stay tuned".
Might be tempted by this one, I prefer ports on the bottom and the volume wheel looks interesting as well.

There has been some improvements regarding processing power and UI responsivness between R3 pro/ pro saber/ pro saber 2022 or they're quite the same? Laggy interface is only a concern for massive 5000+ songs library?

The R3 Pro's have all been the same from that respect... just different DAC chips CS43131, ES9218 and ES9219. Even the original R3 had the same SOC (X1000E).

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #2,020 of 2,094
Considering that all the R3 versions are almost the same and I suppose there are a lot of users out there, I can not understand how I can be the only one facing the issue I reported here. I didn't have time to further investigate and HiBy support just disappeared on my request. Just to recall the issue: over Bluetooth (using aptX, SBC or AAC) and when the audio file is above 44.1 KHz (i.e., 48 KHz or 96 KHz) there is a few seconds delay between when I press play and when actually the file starts to play. Same files but using wired IEMs, everything is fine! This makes me really upset...thinking of selling the R3... :frowning2:

Anyone can help?

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #2,021 of 2,094
Hello dears,

I'm also new to the Hiby's applications. My understading is:
  • HiByMusic contains HiByLinks and permits to listen the music library on the phone through the R3 as well as basics commands such as change song, pause/play and volume
  • HiByCast (does not contain HiByLinks) permits to manage the R3 using the phone/tablet as a "remote" as well as go through the settings of the R3. The music library is stored on the R3 as well.
Is what I have reported right?

An additional clarification: HiByCast asks that the R3 is on the same network as the phone. Does this mean that I have to pass through e.g. a WiFi router? No direct bluethoot link is possible?

Thanks in advance for any clarification and have a great day!
The HiBylLnk feature is really a smart remote control, part of HiByMusic. It can be configured either as a "controller" or a "server" depending on the device where HiByMusic is running. On a HiBy R2 or R3, HiByMusic is really the only app running, so HiByLink is found on the R3 settings and there is only one on/off toggle for a "server" mode. An iPhone running HiByMusic, also has only one HiByLink toggle, but it is for a "controller" mode. An Android phone or an Android-based DAP running HibyMusic have both "controller" and "server" options available, but it's an either/or--you can’t select both at the same time. HiByLink works on both WiFi and Bluetooth connections.

When you toggle HiByLink on your R3 (as a "server"), it allows a HiByLink "controller" (phone, or HyByMusic Android DAP) to operate your R3 remotely: pause/play, previous/next track, navigate and select tracks from the R3 library etc. The controller shows what is playing, including Album Art, but the tracks actually play on the R3. Not all the settings of the R3 are available on the controller. IMO, HiByLink works very well when I pocket the R2 or R3, with a wired HP or IEM, and I want to control what's playing locally from my phone through BT, not taking the R2 or R3 out of my pocket. For the cases where I want to cast something from my iPhone to the R2 or R3, I connect them as BT receivers (hotspot + Airplay is another option in my case).

HibyCast is a "remote desktop" feature, it is not part of HiByMusic (it's a separate app), it is not related to HiByLink, and it only works on Android for now (not available on R2/R3 or iPhone). It requires a WiFi connection. This is how it works: you start the HiByCast "server" app on an Android-based DAP, you then connect to it from an HiByCast "client" app on, for example, an Android phone. You then have total access to the DAP from your phone and can control it as if you were operating the touch screen directly. You can obviously control the DAP HiByMusic app, but any other app, browser, system settings etc. as well.

I don't know much about Android (I'm mostly on iPhone...), but I don't see HiByCast as being much different from other "remote desktop" solutions... unless I'm missing something! In my limited experience, it's a little slow, and not as convenient or reliable as HiByLink when you only want basic control of what's playing.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,022 of 2,094
Considering that all the R3 versions are almost the same and I suppose there are a lot of users out there, I can not understand how I can be the only one facing the issue I reported here. I didn't have time to further investigate and HiBy support just disappeared on my request. Just to recall the issue: over Bluetooth (using aptX, SBC or AAC) and when the audio file is above 44.1 KHz (i.e., 48 KHz or 96 KHz) there is a few seconds delay between when I press play and when actually the file starts to play. Same files but using wired IEMs, everything is fine! This makes me really upset...thinking of selling the R3... :frowning2:

Anyone can help?
Bluetooth codecs are all "loosy:, meaning encoding/compressing > decompressing/decoding. With 24/48 tracks, there might be resampling operations in addition. All of this on an R3 with limited CPU power, which may favor BT stability over delay. A few seconds delay seems abnormal... but I don't know whether equivalent players from other brands (there aren't many...) will do better... Do you have the issue when you play two consecutive tracks of the same bit depth / sampling, or is it only when you transition from one track to another one with a different bit depth / sampling. For example, do you see the problem between two 24/96 tracks, or is it only when you transition from say a 16/44.1 track to a 24/96 one? Gapless transition can be very challenging in the later transition.

Jul 21, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #2,023 of 2,094
The HiBylLnk feature is really a smart remote control, part of HiByMusic. It can be configured either as a "controller" or a "server" depending on the device where HiByMusic is running. On a HiBy R2 or R3, HiByMusic is really the only app running, so HiByLink is found on the R3 settings and there is only one on/off toggle for a "server" mode. An iPhone running HiByMusic, also has only one HiByLink toggle, but it is for a "controller" mode. An Android phone or an Android-based DAP running HibyMusic have both "controller" and "server" options available, but it's an either/or--you can select both at the same time. HiByLink works on both WiFi and Bluetooth connections.

When you toggle HiByLink on your R3 (as a "server"), it allows a HiByLink "controller" (phone, or HyByMusic Android DAP) to operate your R3 remotely: pause/play, previous/next track, navigate and select tracks from the R3 library etc. The controller shows what is playing, including Album Art, but the tracks actually play on the R3. Not all the settings of the R3 are available on the controller. IMO, HiByLink works very well when I pocket the R2 or R3, with a wired HP or IEM, and I want to control what's playing locally from my phone through BT, not taking the R2 or R3 out of my pocket. For the cases where I want to cast something from my iPhone to the R2 or R3, I connect them as BT receivers (hotspot + Airplay is another option in my case).

HibyCast is a "remote desktop" feature, it is not part of HiByMusic (it's a separate app), it is not related to HiByLink, and it only works on Android for now (not available on R2/R3 or iPhone). It requires a WiFi connection. This is how it works: you start the HiByCast "server" app on an Android-based DAP, you then connect to it from an HiByCast "client" app on, for example, an Android phone. You then have total access to the DAP from your phone and can control it as if you were operating the touch screen directly. You can obviously control the DAP HiByMusic app, but any other app, browser, system settings etc. as well.

I don't know much about Android (I'm mostly on iPhone...), but I don't see HiByCast as being much different from other "remote desktop" solutions... unless I'm missing something! In my limited experience, it's a little slow, and not as convenient or reliable as HiByLink when you only want basic control of what's playing.
Thank you for the extensive explanation. Unfortunately I never got HibyLink to work well on my S23 Ultra. With BT, the R3 never recognized the phone as a device to connect. With both BT and WiFi enabled, I managed to connect the devices for a few seconds. Then I never managed to get them to connect again. Even if I was able to connect with wifi again, it defeats my purpose of wanting to connect the R3 to my truck (aux) and control the music with my phone. For now I'm simply connecting the R3 through BT directly to the truck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,024 of 2,094
Bluetooth codecs are all "loosy:, meaning encoding/compressing > decompressing/decoding. With 24/48 tracks, there might be resampling operations in addition. All of this on an R3 with limited CPU power, which may favor BT stability over delay. A few seconds delay seems abnormal... but I don't know whether equivalent players from other brands (there aren't many...) will do better... Do you have the issue when you play two consecutive tracks of the same bit depth / sampling, or is it only when you transition from one track to another one with a different bit depth / sampling. For example, do you see the problem between two 24/96 tracks, or is it only when you transition from say a 16/44.1 track to a 24/96 one? Gapless transition can be very challenging in the later transition.
Dear XTF1,

First of all thanks a lot for your interest in my issue as well as trying to find some explanations. Sorry for my late reply but I was out for some vacations and took the time to make some other tests to further analyze the issue.

In relation to your question, the issue happens every time I play a file that has a sampling rate equal or greater than 48 kHz, independently the fact of playing it directly, after a track with or without the same sampling rate. The bit depth doesn't have any impact at all; 16 or 24 bit file at 44.1 kHz are ok, everything else not. Moreover, in addition to the initial delay, there is also a clear fade-in that further makes the listening really disappointing.

If you have time, and interest, I have uploaded on WeTransfer two videos recorded when using a wired headphone and a bluetooth headphone with aptX respectively. I think that the issue is quite clear (except the fade-in because I was not recording the audio of the headphones). You can find also the sample tracks I have used in case you (or any other user in the forum) would give it a try. This is the link to download the stuffs. It would be nice to understand if the same happens to the other R3s, R5s or any other player. Please let me know.

In the meanwhile I will contact HiBy again providing the information/videos above and hoping in an answer. I will keep you updated.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #2,025 of 2,094
The HiBylLnk feature is really a smart remote control, part of HiByMusic. It can be configured either as a "controller" or a "server" depending on the device where HiByMusic is running. On a HiBy R2 or R3, HiByMusic is really the only app running, so HiByLink is found on the R3 settings and there is only one on/off toggle for a "server" mode. An iPhone running HiByMusic, also has only one HiByLink toggle, but it is for a "controller" mode. An Android phone or an Android-based DAP running HibyMusic have both "controller" and "server" options available, but it's an either/or--you can’t select both at the same time. HiByLink works on both WiFi and Bluetooth connections.

...and of course thanks a lot for this great and detailed explanation!

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back