HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
Mar 6, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #601 of 872
Having enjoyed my R3 Pro, I'm familiar with what the R2 II has to offer. One feature I'm hoping for is on-cable playback controls. My microphone-equipped cables work well with the R3 Pro. They do not with my Shanlings and ZiShans. So I will buy the R2 II as soon as I know that my cable buttons will work with it, too.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #611 of 872
Wow. This looks very interesting!

Adding album cover art is a good one. Would you know how to apply this to the application (or would you have a tutorial on it)?
Hiby Music has it in options menu when you have track playing. I don't have that app installed ATM. Lyrics is option off the same place.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #613 of 872
Can anyone confirm if I can use an inline mic to answer calls with the Hiby R2 / Hiby R2 II ? Do inline remote controls work as well? Thank you!

I don't have many HP/IEMs with inline remote/mic. I tested the (free) Loki sent with my R2-II as well as an older Fidelio S2 and could not make it work with my iPhone. Same thing with the R2. I believe that, although the R2/R2-II support multiple audio codecs (SBC, AAC, aptX, LDAC, UAT), they haven't implemented the bluetooth HSP, HFP, AD2P and AVRCP profiles needed for cell phone-headset communication (at least support of some of these profiles is needed). I don't have an Android phone, but I suspect it is the same story.

Some observations about the R2-II:

I was reading a review of the Shanling M0 Pro on Heafonics where they say, as a comparison, that the R2-II can't be used while charging. This is somewhat incorrect: you can't use the R2-II if you connect it to a PC USB for charging. In that case, it is seen either as a mass storage or a DAC (configurable in the settings). But if you plug the R2-II onto a regular USB charger or power bank, you can absolutely use it, and have all the functionalities available while charging.

Hiby has added an "Album Artist" option in the Music screen... Great !!!:
1679686065661.png

.........Except that when I select an "Album Artist", the list of albums from that artist that I was expecting to see next is not there... instead, what I get is a list of all the tracks from that album artist, sorted by album/track number........???..... The "Artist" option is unchanged and does show the list of albums where the selected artist has at least one track. So, with that new "Album Artist" option, IMO the two behaviors should be reversed: 1/ "Artist" > list of "Tracks" from that artist, sorted alphabetically. 2/ "Album Artist" > list of "Albums" for that album artist, sorted alphabetically (or by Year?) > list of "Tracks" for that album, sorted by track number.

The R2-II body is plastic... good quality... but still plastic! A big downgrade from the R2 IMO.

Subjectively, the R2-II appears much bigger than the R2, closer to the R3 than the R2.

The volume pot is an encoder (infinite rotation, 100 "clicks" to step from 0 to max. volume). It is great, but I keep pressing it expecting to turn the screen on & off,, or to get some other menu shortcut. Feels like a missed opportunity.

Edit: Added picture of the "Music" screen.

Also forgot to mention the Wifi: the R2-II has much better reception than the R2, but it is 2.4 Ghz only! The R2 had support for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #615 of 872
The R2-II body is plastic... good quality... but still plastic! A big downgrade from the R2 IMO.

A bummer, no doubt 👎

R2 was metal & glass. A little gem 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back