Help with finding a new dap and/or Rockbox'ing my ipod, please
Nov 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I'm fairly clueless, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an old 30gig 5th gen ipod and I'd like get something with a bit more capacity (and better eq functions) for a reasonable price. Like ipod on black friday sale prices, ideally.

1) Would you recommend just getting a bigger capacity ipod classic, whatever is the new current generation? 

1.1) If I did that could I still use my LOD? 

Could I rockbox that and still use itunes, or would I lose the playlists I've made?

2)Could I get a different dap that fits my needs and still use my LOD and itunes (it took me a while to make all those playlists, dammit!)?

Any help is deeply appreciated. PM me if you need to.

Nov 26, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 4
Rockbox support for the ipod stops at 5.5th gen, aka the iPod Video. I have a refurbished 120gb rockboxed unit and I really like just throwing all my flac files on there and having everything with me. The sound from this model is very nice - it has Wolfson chips in stead of the supposedly inferior Cirrus chipset used from 6th gen (ipod classic) and all current models. I've listened to my friends iPod classic, but using mp3 files instead of the flac files on my rockboxed 5.5. I haven't been able to do an A/B comparison of the two using the same source files yet. I'm currently eyeing the hifiman HM-601 despite it maxing out at 34gb (2gb internal + sdhc slot) but the sound straight from the headphone-out should be quite something. 

If you want to rockbox your current ipod, it is insanely easy. Download the Rockbox Utility from www.rockbox.org and fire it up :)

It's rockbox OR iTunes, not both. Dunno if the itunes playlists can be exported as m3u lists or something like that, otherwise you'll have to make them again.

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, much appreciated info!

Where would you recommend I get a 5.5 gen 160gb ipod? Do you get it with rockbox already on, or do you buy the ipod and then have it put on (I'm sorry to be so clueless)?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated info!

Where would you recommend I get a 5.5 gen 160gb ipod? Do you get it with rockbox already on, or do you buy the ipod and then have it put on (I'm sorry to be so clueless)?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Are refurbed 5.5 gen ipods reliable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back