Help! My Corda HA-1 is picking up the radio!
Apr 11, 2002 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

jbannow

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my Corda HA-1 from Jan ... what a great unit. It sounds wonderful, except that I've noticed I'm getting a radio station interfering on the headphones. It's not from the source, as if I unplug the RCAs from the back the interference is still there. I'm using a pretty hefty power cord with this ... what could be the problem?

It seems to be worse when the volume knob is turned down or way up. I've also noticed that it is more noticable with my cheapie Sony V44s then with the V6s (maybe just the response curve of the headphones?). Any thoughts? I'd like to get this resolved before my W2002s show up.

Sorry if this has come up before ... I searched and came up empty.

Apr 11, 2002 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 44
I had this problem too and contacted Jan Meier. The problem for me only presents itself in my work environment, which is a tall building downtown with a lot of cube "pods." I imagine the building itself makes for a nice antenna.

Meier had two suggestions:
1. Try a higher grade interconnect. I didn't own one and have not yet done this.
2. If a better interconnect doesn't remove the problem, adjust the bandwidth. The bandwidth is set obscenely high. Open the unit and reduce this via the screw to something more reasonable like 100khz. I was planning to try a different interconnect first so I have not yet tried this either.

Let me know how it goes.

Apr 11, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 44
This interference occurs even when no interconnects are used ... would the interconnect actually remove the effect? I'm certainly willing to give it a try if it will.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by jbannow
This interference occurs even when no interconnects are used ... would the interconnect actually remove the effect? I'm certainly willing to give it a try if it will.
smily_headphones1.gif

According to Jan, yes. The "empty" jacks still receiver interference. Blocking them with a well shielded cable blocks the interference. (The same thing occurred to me.)

Apr 11, 2002 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 44
Gotcha ... that makes sense I guess. I'm currently using some kind of Monster cable and have planned on replacing them, just not this early. Thanks for the help! Now to find some interconnects ...

Apr 11, 2002 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 44
Does this apply to the Porta Corda too? --The radio pickup and bandwidth adjustment screw :wow:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 11, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Does this apply to the Porta Corda too? --The radio pickup and bandwidth adjustment screw :wow:

I think that the radio pickup issue is due to my location rather than any issue with the unit (wow is it a nice little amp!). I haven't opened it up to try the adjustment screws yet ... hoping the interconnects will do the trick.

Apr 11, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
You might also look into shielding or getting a better power cord. I've had radio interference problems that were solved this way.

I think I'll try swapping power cords when I get home to see if it changes anything. I've been looking for a supply of Quail power cords. (Hospital grade)

Apr 11, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 44
I've noticed this same problem -- intermittently. And only when the volume control is turned almost all the way down, about 1/4". I'm now using Straightwire Chorus interconnects and the Absolute Power Cord, but I have the Outlaws on order and will let you know if they cut out the RFI.

If I touch the outer covers of the interconnect plugs, the RFI vanishes -- it's a ground issue, apparently, and might be from the cables.

My location is really prone to RFI, and this is not a new problem for my electronics.

Apr 11, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 44
Two comments:

1. It's definitely location based. I don't get the issue at all at home.

2. It's a known issue from Jan. Changing the power cord will definitely not have an effect. (I use really kick ass power cords.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 44
Absolutely, open RCA inputs can pick up RFI especially if you're located in the ground plane of a transmitting tower.

Once you obtain good cables, make sure you install them the right way (they are directional in so much as the ground shield is attached at one end only, the input end of the cable). Also you need to make sure that your equipment is properly earth grounded so there's someplace for the RF energy to go. In a strong RF field, unshielded AC power cables and speaker cables can also be a source of trouble.

Apr 12, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 44
Well, I think I'm going to order the PCA-Pure Copper Analogs and I finally found a source for Quail hospital grade power cords. If neither of those fix it, I'll pop it open and do some surgery.

I suppose I should check the power connection to verify the ground as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back