help before buying Alessandro MS1
Jun 9, 2007 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

daveyostrow

1000+ Head-Fier
i heave heard the sr80s, then bought the sr60. coukld just be the padds but the 80's felt way more detaled and lively. so i might as well get the ms1 right!
first on theri site they have two options for buying. music sereis one, and music seried one w/ mini-p. both are the same price... is it just a mistake?
intertested in knowing what improvment were made, like i heard the headband is more flexible for comfort... would like to know more.
second i saw that some people send their grados to get rewired... even right wehn they buy them. who does this, how much, and is it worth it?
thanks.

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 44
You have a choice between a mini 3.5 and 1/4. I got the mini. The headband is great. To get the headphones recabled you can go to Headphile. com, Moon Audio, Apuresound.com and there are others. Email Alex at apuresound.com and he will hook you up without an 8 to 10 week wait. Instant gratification with his work. Beautiful stuff and great sounding.

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 44
o so i can choose to have it 1/4 stock... probly wont do that (mini is for usual mp3 plugs right, and 1/4 would be more for amps)
i asked about the headband because the sr60 eems tight over time, the sr80 seemed better because of thier bowls. what pads do teh ms1 come with...
is it worth the cable? noticable sound difference, and so that it wont tair (pulled out easy)...

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 44
One nice thing about the headband is that it is meant to be bent to fit. I probably bent and adjusted mine about five times before I got it just right!

The MS-1 come with the comfy pads, same as the SR-60. And you are absolutely right about what the plugs are used for!
smily_headphones1.gif

My favorite story about my MS-1 is when the kids dropped them off their computer chair down into the base...and managed to give the chair a spin while they were still plugged in. The cable between the "Y" block and the housings in both sides had a few chunks of insulation torn out, but the cans still work beautifully!

I think I'll just keep the stock cables on my Alessandros!

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 44
is it such a big deal for people to use 1/4 adaptors, unless you only use amps i dont see why. id probly keep stock cables, are they grado stock or did they change them?
i moved on to a laptop and soundcard is a no no on dell e1405, but is it crucial (id hate to use usb sound cards)?
i saw the pa2v2? and govibe 5 are the best budget amps. any tips?

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 44
yet, get the MS-1, they are great..

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyostrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i moved on to a laptop and soundcard is a no no on dell e1405, but is it crucial (id hate to use usb sound cards)?
i saw the pa2v2? and govibe 5 are the best budget amps. any tips?

Ms1's are great. Very very very great. Incredibly awesomely spasmaticly great.

You can run them without a soundcard, but there would be a vast improvement if you did get a good USB one.

GoVibe v5 is obsolete now. You'd be best getting the GoVibe V6. I have it, and it sounds very good, plus looks nice and is nice and compact. Its cheap as well.
You can get it here. http://www.go-vibe-headphoneamp.com/

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would it be better to use 1/4 with a 3.5 converter?
or would it be better to have the 3.5 and use a 1/4 converter?

I feel it's best to use the 3.5 with the 1/4 converter. It's a lot easier on the portables and sound cards if that's the majority of your uses. I have that set-up on my MS-1 and in my opinion the adapter that comes with the MS-1 is a good one indeed.

Jun 10, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 44
I agree, if you really need an amp go for go-vibe6. But for me, ipod amp have enough juiced in it and already sounds great.

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

the ms1 are suippost to be at the level of the sr125... are they better, worse, or just different?

Alessandro MS-1 is supposed to be the sibblings of Grado SR-125, but with a comfie pads and mini-plug option. I have both, but unfortunately my MS1 is not properly "burned in" yet. The difference is minimum especially for an amateur head-fiers like me.
orphsmile.gif
SR125 sound a little bit bright, and less bassy, but I still wait for a few days to concur this initial comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back