HELP! Am I too dumb to use the SEARCH function???
Jun 10, 2004 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Chisum

Head-Fier
Hi,

when I visit head-fi, I sometimes see the search-function, and sometimes not. Are the problems still going on, or am I just too dumb to use it (browser problems? or what??)????

Cheers

Chisum

Jun 10, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 11
the site's still useless most of the day, hurrah.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 11
The Search function gets pulled when traffic is heavy, I think. Somebody has posted a way to Google search this site; also see the stuff posted at the top of this forum.

Jun 11, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Is there a corruption in the database or something? The course of action being taken with Head-Fi's search database is a bit boggling, even given the amount of users. So boggling that I almost question if a 100% functional database will be restored at all. I remember reading about the mismatched searches and etc; does that still occur when the search is periodically re-enabled?

p.s. I see in jude's post that he had to re-build the search index. Where'd it go in the first place?! This board went from vBulletin 2 to 3, a conversion that would not require such activity..

Jun 11, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 11
Right, I read that - still doesn't explain why the search database would need to be recreated if he merely transitioned everything from the old server to the new. I must be missing something..

Jun 11, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 11
I have, believe me.
280smile.gif
I hope I'm not coming off too strongly with my words in this post, as I think Head-Fi is an awesome community - I just wonder about such things as I have experience with them.

I also know that a forum such as this without a fully functional search is hindered greatly [god bless google, but still], and is probably inspiring a bunch of dupe threads that weren't necessary in the first place.

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurisu
I have, believe me.
280smile.gif
I hope I'm not coming off too strongly with my words in this post, as I think Head-Fi is an awesome community - I just wonder about such things as I have experience with them.

I also know that a forum such as this without a fully functional search is hindered greatly [god bless google, but still], and is probably inspiring a bunch of dupe threads that weren't necessary in the first place.

The search index was re-built after the transition to vBulletin 3.01 -- that was recommended, so we did it.

This is the last time I'll explain the following: we're moving to a new facility, and are currently on a far-less-than-ideal setup. This will change when we move. In the meantime, this is what we have to deal with. Everything is currently being temporarily hosted on one box (we used to be on three).

The search hangs up the server and processes end up getting locked up, and pile up. It's no coincidence that when the search is off the site works fine. When we had multiple boxes, this wasn't an issue, but it is for the timebeing.

It will be fixed. We have most of the hardware we need. We already have a full rack ready and waiting for Head-Fi to move into at Level(3) (which is where we used to be when the site was rockin' along just fine).

That's what's going on, and that's what we have to deal with temporarily. We're a strong community. We'll get through it.

_____

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Awesome. I can tell I'm striking a cord that has been strung out, so I apologize if I was echoing.
cool.gif
Sounds like you guys have a great setup, regardless..

So, I just schooled myself on vB3 , specifically what you mentioned. I see now that vB2 to vB3 was a major upgrade and from what I can tell, the entire search index was deleted when you rebuilt it [as per the official recommendations from the vB site]. I can imagine with a forum such as this that it will take a very long time to rebuild, correct? Although when you do have things back in business I think people will be enthusiastic about vB3's advanced indexing algorithm [well, they won't get excited about that, but the results will be keen
280smile.gif
].

Good luck with all this, jude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back