Hello
Aug 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 59
Mine totl 27" iMac is for sale now to fund my LL + 009 rig. :wink:

Also...I've been here just over 2 years and I've probably spent about...30k? About 40k when I make my next purchase. This place is evil.

Quote:
If someone came up to me and said please have my 27 inch TOTL iMac, I'm not sure anyone could refuse lol. But I don't think I would spend money on them.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #36 of 59
Aug 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #37 of 59
Yeah, that's what people don't tell you. I was actually about to mention that. As far as pure spending...Probably half that...maybe a little less, but that spending vs selling ratio is going to go way up soon.

Quote:
That's what he has spent... he's also sold gear
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #40 of 59
I can't hardly imagine spending $2,000 on a pair of headphones, then again I don't think I'm an audiophile. Better yet, when did you guys know when you became audiophiles?

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #41 of 59
I wouldn't call myself an audiophile although my friends do. Well actually they call me stupid. Anyway, you know you're up crap creek without a paddle when you have spent a few thousand and want more things.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #42 of 59
I don't consider myself an audiophile either. I associate audiophile with being super gear oriented. That's the main part of this forum, but I still get the most joy from getting and listening to more music.

Quote:
I can't hardly imagine spending $2,000 on a pair of headphones, then again I don't think I'm an audiophile. Better yet, when did you guys know when you became audiophiles?

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #43 of 59
This is really long but worth watching if you haven't seen it before. I find it quite sad, really.

The documentary goes into the costs and the guys with partners/wives really have no idea how much the audio gear costs.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs[/VIDEO]

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #44 of 59
Here's my take on my personal little journey 2 months in:

I fumbled with some IEMs for a bit and I have to say I don't regret any of my purchases. I would read, then try, then go back to reading, and the more I did the more I understood and could associate certain words with sounds I was hearing.  I got to a point where I found a pair I really liked, and could describe why I liked it more than the others, what attributes were attractive to me vs things I disliked. You don't have to write a detailed review or anything...many do though, and comparing what you hear vs what others hear can be reassuring sometimes, and sometimes eye opening. From the sheer quantity of reviews on head-fi, you can make a fairly accurate picture of a product in your mind without even hearing it in person...handy huh? Reviews will never beat personal experience though!

After I dabbled in IEMs I took a big plunge in mid level cans, the HD650. To me, it was a huge leap in SQ. I decided it was worth it to take another plunge. Amp and Dac queued up. Again, just mind-blowing. Objectively you could say this is a total waste of money in such a short time, especially if you are a student like me. However I know what I am after, I know my limits, but I also know I have very little self control. With this in mind, I am fairly certain that had I settled on something "middle-ground", I would have eventually caved and upgraded anyways. Therefore I'm just going all out right now..YOLO!  

Oh to respond to what others are saying: I have no idea what being an audiophile entails, if it means loving my gear...then yes...I love my gear. I've never been so emotionally moved by music.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #45 of 59
I love reading about journeys taken and audio evolution. Basically, you don't know what you want until you know what you want. It has always been about the music for myself. In reality I guess some could get into all this with a profound curiosity of electronics or sound science. It may even be a more wonderful thing to actually start off with a low cost simple rig and slowly grow it. The most important thing I found out was listening and learning from folks I had respect for. I guess I'm a better follower than inventor. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back