Health Risks of CNT Headphones?
Mar 20, 2013 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Tsujigiri

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if anyone might have some insight into this issue. I've been seeing more headphones with carbon nanotube diaphragms popping up lately. However, I know that prolonged exposure to CNT's can be quite dangerous, since the thin structures can pierce right through cells and cause various problems. There are some nanotech companies out there than won't even work with these because of the risks involved. My concern is that particles could come loose from headphones that use these over time and cause problems for the user. Then again, they might have found a way to mitigate the issue. There's even a safe version of asbestos now, a material that became infamous for behaving in a similar way. Does anyone know more about this?

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 18
I didn't see anything about CNT headphones specifically. I heard about the concerns regarding CNT safety from the founder of a nanotech company I met through one of my engineering classes. While a lot of nano products are made from chemicals that wouldn't be thought of as hazardous, the nano form of the particles can change their properties significantly. Nano copper is apparently highly toxic to fish, for an example. I was wondering if anyone here had additional knowledge on the subject or any experience with the matter.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 18
Ordered myself a pair of JVC HA-S500's... it will be interesting to see if they break down after years of use and become a health hazard.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 18
Yep, if they're dangerous a bunch of us are in big trouble.
confused_face.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 18
Ordered myself a pair of JVC HA-S500's... it will be interesting to see if they break down after years of use and become a health hazard.
I'm still alive! :D

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 18
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the sheets of CNT sandwiched under other materials too?
That's what I'm thinking too...

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 18
Mar 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 18
I think it's more of a manufacturing / handling / disposal issue in large quantity, similar type of fibers as asbestos...
Symptoms of Mesothelioma do not show up for 20 to 50 years after exposure.

It all depends on how much of the driver is CNT, if it is woven CNT wires or fibers as a mesh then I'd be careful with the drivers if you have them apart.
Fibers over 15 micron can pierce the lung tissue and cause problems if inhaled, dermal exposure is less of a risk.

I think it's mostly all a MFG concern anyway.

I wish my S500's would get here, some slow getting stuff out of Japan.
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 18
I use mine perfectly fine, and only one ear has a bursted eardrum as of now! Definately worth it! *Other eardrum pops* Oh, look, now I don't have to listen to my MX Blues clicking constantly! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back