HeadWize forums may stay down a bit longer
Jun 24, 2001 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

cmoy

Chief HeadWizer
Hi guys,

For those of you who have not been permanently lured to the Head Fidelity forums dark side (just kidding
biggrin.gif
), the HeadWize forums may remain down for a few days beyond July 1.

I am making substantial mods to the forums based on the many suggestions for reducing bandwidth that I have received, and may decide to try a site redesign in the process. I know that many of you will be spoiled for this vBulletin interface. I can tell you now that the redesign will NOT be this drastic. I may be able to provide an auto-login feature that does not require cookies. No promises yet.

I have also installed WebTrends Professional Suite and will use it to track usage. In case any of you are wondering how I could afford WebTrends Professional Suite (it retails for $1000 US), I actually got it off eBay about a year ago for less than $50 US.
biggrin.gif
I had not used it because it was an earlier version and I did not know if it would run on my current OS. Anyway, it works fine on my new laptop.

I will be contacting HeadWizers who have expressed interest in being moderators in a week or so. Some of you have become moderators here, and may not be able to work for both forums. Don't worry. If you can do it, great. If not, there will hopefully be a large enough pool of remaining applicants to fill the positions.

Anyway, the site is just not the same without you guys.
frown.gif
Please don't forget the HeadWize forums!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2001 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 45
Hey chu, that sounds great! I love the simplicity of headwize (compared to this). Don't get me wrong Jude, this is great, headwize still seems more like home
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2001 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 45
cmoy: I'm not sure whether we'll all be spoiled - actually I found Headwize faster and easier to use than this forum. Nevertheless it's fairly good as an interims-soultion...
smily_headphones1.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Did you already include a better robots.txt?

Jun 24, 2001 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 45
Cmoy, just make sure the old posts are still available, whether they are archived or not. It would be an invaluable source of information

When you get it up and running I, for one, will be back.

Big thanks to Jude tho, I thought I was gonna be without a good headphone forum for quite a while.

Jun 24, 2001 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 45
Chu, I'm looking forward to getting back to basics. This site is wonderful (Thanks Jude and the others who put this site up so quickly), but it's not Headwize. You know the old saying, "You never forget your first love."? Well, that's the way I feel about Headwize. Plus, I liked those three headphones under my name!
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2001 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 45
Don't worry Chu. As good as this site is, it still feels like sleeping in a hotel. Yes, it's luxurious and the staff is friendly but it still isn't home. Hopefully the home is just closed for repairs and won't be bulldozed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2001 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 45
I'm with aos. I enjoy the headwize color scheme, and simplicity, and huge membership. You're probably on pace for 10GB/mo just with MY headwize visits
wink.gif
No offense jude, but headwize is the comfortable old shoe. Keep up the good work both of you guys.

Jun 24, 2001 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 45
Not to worry here as well Chu. As much as I enjoy this site, and as much I truly appreciate what Jude & Co. has done here, HeadWize is home.

By the way, I would be happy to be a moderator. Let me know how I can help.

Jun 25, 2001 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 45
I will most definitely return to Headwize, but I will be here as well. I, for one, am getting spoiled by all the cool features here. Put cmoy's archives and membership behind this front-end, and you have THE killer site.

I say the more resources, the better.

markl

Jun 25, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I will most definitely return to Headwize, but I will be here as well. I, for one, am getting spoiled by all the cool features here. Put cmoy's archives and membership behind this front-end, and you have THE killer site.

I say the more resources, the better.

markl

I'm with markl in that I'll frequent both HeadWize and Head-Fi. Head-Fi was created to give us a good shot at a permanent home, even if the growth gets insane. And if HeadWize ever gets to the point where the forums get too expensive to run (as you'd expect, the forums are the most resource-intensive place of HeadWize), there's still going to be Head-Fi.

So whether you decide to make HeadWize or Head-Fi your main hangout -- or if you frequent both -- we've probably got a better shot at a permanent hangout with both around than HeadWize alone.

So I'll not shut this joint down, and will continue to add some nice cool features and the like over time. This weekend I actually built a prototype headphone search engine that we should be able to use soon as an additional resource for audio information (I may expand it and spider non-headphone-specific audio web sites and content too if the headphone-only content is too thin). I'll be tweaking it over the next several days. You're right, markl, the more resources we have, the better.

See you all at HeadWize, and here at Head-Fi!

Jun 25, 2001 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 45
Both sites are very nice! I actually like this color scheme better, though there's nothing wrong w/ Headwize. All the extra features are quite nice, too. Staying up-to-date w/ both sites might be a little tough if they both cover every area, though.

Jun 25, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 45
Cmoy: How about you and Jude work together to convert the Forums archives into the HeadFi format, then add all the old HeadWize users to the HeadFi boards. That way you could link to the HeadFi boards instead of your custom code and save on bandwidth, but we would still have HeadWize.

No, I don't mean this seriously. I want the Forums back as much as everyone else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back