HeadSave MetaMax
Jun 22, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #31 of 55
Clearly, Tigger was using "MetaMax" because of the well known connotation maxed out meta. I can't really see this being an issue. As for the Gilmore issue, I do not understand why that was such a big issue. Personally, I think maybe the word "max" was used because of its heavy usage around the forums rather than its HeadRoom application. Also, if someone is going to use such a common word as max for a specific name, they are going to have to expect to see that word in other places and in the names of other products.

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
Clearly, Tigger was using "MetaMax" because of the well known connotation maxed out meta. I can't really see this being an issue. As for the Gilmore issue, I do not understand why that was such a big issue. Personally, I think maybe the word "max" was used because of its heavy usage around the forums rather than its HeadRoom application.

Hiya...

First of all, your first point I agree with, completely... it wasn't a 'manufacturer' that branded META 42s as 'maxed out' it was a consumer, LTUCCI1924 if we're requiring 'facts'... it was his own term for a META42 that had top-spec components in... the name has stuck ~ Lou doesn't MAKE the METAs... so a name through association is fine by me... looking at my signature, I 'rebranded' my own META42, but does anyone know what it is? do they hell!
wink.gif

The Gilmore issue iirc was not just because of the 'MAX' thing, not at all... it was because all of the amps in Justins line-up had pot-shots at the HeadRoom lineups names... now, this wasn't from a satisfied user whos comments made Justin 're-brand' his gear... this was his own doing... and all of the names were a little too 'unoriginal' iirc (although I wasn't part of the original discussion)

So, I think everyone needs to get all of this stupid, pathetic argument into context... the META42 is branded as 'maxed out' due to an END USER, and the name stuck... whereas the Gilmore V2 MAX or whatever its called, that in its own right wasn't maybe so bad... but it was just the rest of the line that apparently mirrored HeadRooms own in terms of naming policy...

I'm not saying anyone is right, or that anyone else is wrong... but it helps when things are put into the correct context!

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #33 of 55
Duncan,
I agree with you completely. Well said. "Max" associates with Meta42 is just a higher version of Meta42, meaning have better parts and better sound quality. When I hear "Max" or "Maxed Out" with Meta42....I know what is it right away.

Purk

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
it was because all of the amps in Justins line-up had pot-shots at the HeadRoom lineups names...

[snip]

it was just the rest of the line that apparently mirrored HeadRooms own in terms of naming policy...

Duncan, one other amp besides the Gilmore V2 Max mirrorred a HeadRoom product (not even an amp), and that was the Gilmore Traveler. Traveler is obviously a unique name, and although Justin states that he hadn't heard of the HeadRoom bag before naming his amp, he decided to change it. After all, it's not a generic adjective like "Max" is.

Barring whether it's right or wrong to use the name "Max" in the niche market of headphone amplifiers when it already is associated with an established product, I fail to see how the unanimous action of the moderaters on this board against the Gilmore V2 Max and the complete inaction against the HeadSave MetaMax is anything but hypocritical.

Again, it's not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of inconsistency and discrimination.

Jun 22, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #35 of 55
Rizumu...

Thanks,

I, to the best of my knowledge never actually got involved in any of the original discussions... I had my own problems at the time... my own axes to grind...

I appear to have not quite as many of the facts as I originally thought, that is not a deficiency of mine as being a moderator, it simply means that I have not read all 400+ thousand posts on this site...

Anyway... thats beyond the point... I really cannot be bothered to sit and trawl through another 25 page attack, some of which aimed at me... just because i'm a moderator, thats just plain pathetic... I'm a forum member first and foremost, as are all the guys here who help run the show... if everyone wants to have a bitch at 'us' feel free to do so, in take it outside...

seeing that that is what this whole argument is about 'Justin versus the Moderators', and has nothing to do with Tiggers amps, then... so far as I can see... this thread is dead, and should be locked...

...No, the conversation doesn't have to end there... but if you must carry it on - in the direction its heading... TAKE IT OUTSIDE
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
I fail to see how the unanimous action of the moderaters on this board against the Gilmore V2 Max and the complete inaction against the HeadSave MetaMax is anything but hypocritical

I'm a moderator. I didn't even participate in the Gilmore V2 Max discussion, and I've clearly stated that I think MetaMax (or any other use of "Max") is lame and unoriginal, not to mention a trademark infringement if HeadRoom wanted to pursue it. So your statement above is inaccurate.

As for Lou calling his META a "Maxed Out META," that was his characterization of it, but that doesn't mean anyone should advertise an amp called a "Maxed Out META," which is clearly a trademark infringement.

Like I said earlier, HeadRoom may not pursue any of these infringements, but come on... show a little originality. The English language is immense and varied. If you can't think of a name that doesn't have "Max" in its name somewhere, I can only assume you're purposely choosing the name to ride the coattails of HeadRoom's amp names.

Jun 22, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

this thread is dead, and should be locked...

Seconded. This thread is a pile of crap that dredges up a lengthy argument that was already resolved. If I were a moderator, it would have been locked before it hit two pages.

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #38 of 55
I take back the unanimous comment, sorry guys.

[edit] I'm done with the discussion. Mods and members are divided about this, and the decision over what to do obviously lies ultimately with the amp maker.

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Seconded. This thread is a pile of crap that dredges up a lengthy argument that was already resolved. If I were a moderator, it would have been locked before it hit two pages.

...and that's why you're not a moderator.

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:33 AM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu

haha
-Mag

Jun 22, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #42 of 55
In response to all the comments offered here, I have decided to re-name some of the amps in the Headsave lineup as follows:

1) The Headsave Intro stays as is. The Intro is my own name for a new entry level amp coming soon.

2) The Headsave MetaMint becomes just the Headsave Mint.

3) The Headsave MetaPort becomes the Headsave Transit.

4) The Headsave MetaMax becomes the Headsave Ultra.

The changes will take place within 24 - 48 hours.

At this time all specs will remain as before.

Thanks to all for your valued opinions.

wink.gif

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #44 of 55
this is why i get along with hypocrites. at least people who admit to it. cause you nit-picking bastards won't allow a person to grow and change their minds? maybe they all changed their minds. let them do so gracefully. why pin them to the wall and make them admit their wrongs so you all can feel a little bit of "told you so" satisfaction. we're all hypocrites sometimes. let it go.

Jun 22, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Indeed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Mods and members are divided about this, and the decision over what to do obviously lies ultimately with the amp maker.

And thank you Captain Obvious.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back