Headroom Balanced Desktop - 200 hours in...
Sep 9, 2007 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

deadie

500+ Head-Fier
It arrived yesterday!

CI Audio VDA2 DAC - Balanced output mode

First impressions are very very positive - just incredible power to attack snare drum notes, vocal crecendos, acoustic guitar plucks, and standing bass thrums.

Incredibly black background. Silent.

Lush, sweet vocals but again, super powerful.

Everything has a greater sense of realism, not necessarily like I'm at a concert, but that the artist is just there - performing for me.

The cost appears to be worth it - there is enough of a bump in performance to warrant its price. It reminds me of auditions at local hifi dealers, listening to $5k and up speakers, with $4k preamps and $10k amps wondering and confused as to why and how the sound quality could be so good, so rich.

The amp is brutally revealing - poor recordings, compressed CDs, lower bitrate MP3s, etc are all rendered unlistenable. I can hear every inhaled breath, every creaky shift on the piano seat, every foot pedal movement, every mouth smack. Notes hit harder, linger longer, but then stops quicker as well. Not sure if that makes sense, but there you go.

Good recordings such as Jack Johnson are of course made even better and more transparent, but interestingly, older kinda dull recordings like Toad the Wet Sprocket and Cranberries have been given new life.

I've recabled my Senn600, reterminated the Grado 325i, and got a new Beyer DT990.

The Senn just got even better - amazing difference. More but very tight bass, richer mids, even more of a reinforcement as to why these are my fave cans. My Senns have maybe 300 hours on them, and they needed every one. They're getting better and better.

The Grados didn't really change too much - still very upfront, but also still pretty new, less than 100 hours. Much more break in is needed. I have got to change the earpads!

The Beyer 990s are a huge surprise. I bought them "blind" based on a recommendation from Jorge at Headroom, and they don't disappoint. Way WAY wide soundstage, absolutely slammin' performance, crisp highs, very fun. More recessed sound than the Grados, but I like that -- more dimension and instrument separation as opposed to the Grados putting everything in the same place.

Vocals are ok, no where near the lushness and realism that I perceive from the Senns, but then again, Def Leppard and Metallica are different applications and different moods from Diana Krall and Oleta Adams! The Beyers are also very tight right now, slightly harsh, and so the amp and the cans are being frybaby'd 24/7.

So as echoed by many before me, thank you and curse you head-fi! What an amazing and rewarding hobby this is. I've met a lot of cool and like-minded fanatics along the way, drained my wallet, and have become much more adept in hiding / repurposing the litany of boxes that enter the house!

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 23
Glad you got it!!! Congratulations!!! Everything you describe is from a great balanced rig . It just gets better as it gets burned in...enjoy the ride. You are in for an elated ride of your head-fi life
wink.gif

Play some Diana Krall and let the headphone and amp disappear and you are "there".

Oh!!...welcome to Ninja upgrade club
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you got it!!! Congratulations!!! Everything you describe is from a great balanced rig . It just gets better as it gets burned in...enjoy the ride. You are in for an elated ride of your head-fi life
wink.gif

Play some Diana Krall and let the headphone and amp disappear and you are "there".

Oh!!...welcome to Ninja upgrade club
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, I need to get a real balanced amp instead of using my Dac1..Although it does a fine job
icon10.gif
The 650's are magic in a balanced config.. I can't believe some ppl can't hear the difference.

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what options did you get. and what's your setup.

Uncompressed FLAC > MAudio 192 Soundcard Coax Digital Out > Channel Islands Audio VDA2 DAC > VRX-1 RCA to XLR balanced cables > HR Balanced Desktop w/Home Module Upgrade, no DAC

Given that the soundcard sports balanced TRS outputs, I'm probably going to pick up a pair of TRS-XLR cables and compare it against the Channel Island DAC.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

did you get the stepped attenuator?

Nope, just the stock Alps POT. That's one variable that I'd love to read more user impressions on - quantified, sonic improvements from one POT to the next...

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 23
a while back i was considering a desktop balanced from headroom. my configuration would have been close to yours - the upgrade to home module (this is must in my opinion) and no internal DAC as i had an apogee mini dac at the time. i wavered on the stepped attenuator. it's supposed to allow for a cleaner signal between channels but sometimes finding a suitable volume level could be difficult. however, the desktop also has a 3 position gain switch to assist in this area, so i probably would have gotten the stepped. in the end and for various reasons i opted for something a little more expensive. but i have read very good things about the desktop balanced and i strongly believe that balanced is superior to single ended, especially with regard to sennheiser headphones.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

i opted for something a little more expensive. but i have read very good things about the desktop balanced and i strongly believe that balanced is superior to single ended, especially with regard to sennheiser headphones.

Did you get the Apache instead? How does it soun.... no, NO. No, don't answer that. I need to be happy with my grass, it's very green. Very nice. No other grass to look at. Happy grass.

Total agreement with the Senns - this headphone scales extremely well.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 23
Exactly!!! This is the bottom line...

Quote:

senns + balanced =
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 23
Deadie, can you write something in regards to build quality and the supplied Astrodyne power supply please.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deadie, can you write something in regards to build quality and the supplied Astrodyne power supply please.

Sure... well, not to just blindly toe the Headroom company line, but what they say in the marketing literature is pretty much spot on as far as build quality. This sucker is a curvy aluminum rock.

Balanced inputs all click solidly, no wobbles with the release clips.

Similarly, all vertical "levers" - crossfeed, gain, etc have solid and secure play.

The volume pot is smooth without being too loose or too tight. No noise with rotation.

Sturdy, beefy rubber bezels ring the front and back of the amp.

So again, it's pretty much what you'd expect from an amp of this price - a top performing, solid industrial piece of musical hardware. Sure it lacks bling, but I'm fine with that. I want no hint of what this little black box costs when the wife walks by.
biggrin.gif

As to the power supply... not sure what can be said about it. Are there existing issues out there? It works, all pieces fit together solidly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back