Headphones with great detail/instrument seperation?
May 6, 2010 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the UM3Xs hooked up to the Alo Rx and love the sound I'm getting. I listen to classical and acoustic exclusively and need the most detail oriented phones I can find. 

I want to keep the price point around 200 bucks. Also, they would have to hold up to (or be better) than the UM3Xs. Is it possible to get phones that sound as good? I was thinking about a pair of Senn 600s or K201s but I'm not sure if the ALO Rx could properly drive them.

Thanks in advance :)

May 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 26
The award for best instrument separation has to be the Beyer Dynamic DT-880 to my ears and I only had the 32 ohm version. The Sennheiser HD-600 is also around $300 unless you get a pair used. They don't have as much detail as the DT-880, they do, but it's a bit less forward. If you can get a pair of the DT-880 for around $200, i'd go that route to try them out. They retail for $260-$300, so it may be difficult. It seems the 32 ohm version is the most expensive version.

You know what just now really disgusted me? Amazon (not a marketplace seller) is actually selling the HD-600 NEW for $399!! Yuck. Luckily I got mine when they were still $300 or so. I'm still under the 30 day mark and they jumped up almost a hundred dollars already?!

Well, sorry, my post is a bit worthless, but I tried.

May 6, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 26
Thanks a lot guys :D So final question and if it turns out good then I'll definitely get them.
Question: Can the ALO Rx properly power the phones? I am currently using the low gain but I can turn it up to high if I need to.... thanks :)

May 6, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
The award for best instrument separation has to be the Beyer Dynamic DT-880 to my ears and I only had the 32 ohm version. The Sennheiser HD-600 is also around $300 unless you get a pair used. They don't have as much detail as the DT-880, they do, but it's a bit less forward. If you can get a pair of the DT-880 for around $200, i'd go that route to try them out. They retail for $260-$300, so it may be difficult. It seems the 32 ohm version is the most expensive version.

You know what just now really disgusted me? Amazon (not a marketplace seller) is actually selling the HD-600 NEW for $399!! Yuck. Luckily I got mine when they were still $300 or so. I'm still under the 30 day mark and they jumped up almost a hundred dollars already?!

Well, sorry, my post is a bit worthless, but I tried.

How many hi end headphones have you heard/owned? They are a good choice for instrument separation, but to say the best, (yes, you did say to your ears) is pretty telling.

May 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 26
X4 for K 702

May 6, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 26
-1 on the K701 unless you like things burrowing into your head. 

+1 on the DT880. You might be able to get a cheap Stax setup (Lambda + SRD-7) for that price if you watch the FS forums, which would be even more detailed.

May 6, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:
-1 on the K701 unless you like things burrowing into your head. 

I think people here are confusing soundstage (artificial) with separation (flat left and right). With a huge soundstage you loose a lot of detail, typically a flat headphone with little to no soundstage would have better/clearer musical/instrument separation. As far as suggestions under $200, Senns HD 25 are supposed to be good for that although I've never heard them, DT48 that KBI bangs on about all the time might be your ticket. 
wink_face.gif

May 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 26
xWhatever to the K70x.

My MS-Pros have great instrument separation, but besides the fact that they aren't in your price range, I'm pretty sure the K70x is more suited to classical/acoustic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back