Headphones under $100?
Jul 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rhcpepper

New Head-Fier
Helping my friend buy some headphones, I think she was inspired after hearing me rave about my DJ1s that I recently got lol. Don't want her wasting her money so I'm starting this thread. I figure I will also try and get her into the audiophile world with me seeing how I am I beginner too, and none of my other friends are really interested. Be nice to have a buddy to chat with about stuff :)
Anyways.

Here's the details in order of importance
$100 or less
Good sound quality (I know this is very subjective, but just something with really clear, not muddy sound)
Easy to drive (iPhone, iPod and laptop are her sources)
Closed back and circumaural
At least somewhat stylish (you know us teens, gotta look cool lol)
Comfortable
At least decent isolation

And she listens to electronic "dubstep" like skrillex, bassnectar, deadmau5 (so I guess potential bass would be needed too) And then lots of indie alternative stuff... idk what else to call it

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks :) 

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 11
The only stylish cans that have bass at this price would be the Vmoda LP's. I have never heard or listened to them so give it a look.

You can get an HFI 580 for $100 by the way, it is the same as the DJ1, these don't work too well with Skrillex but other forms of dubstep and EDM and electronica, it works well with and fits your requirememnts.
XB500/XB700 can also be a choice, but they aren't stylish and aren't "clear"

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 11
Throw out style then. I'm sure there's some that she will think looks good, since style is subjective. And it doesn't have to have pounding bass all the time.. even if they cant handle that music particularly well, just looking for some options :)

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 11
JVC HARX700, the bass isn't that fantastic on it but it does well, but the soundstage and generall all around can be artificial at times.
Vmoda LP (never tried these) style and bass?
Ultrasone HFI 580's, same as the DJ1's so you already know, see if she likes them, they are not that comfortable though
XB700, less super pound bass, but a bit clearer.

Personally I find Vmoda M80 white pearls to look absolutely beautiful on a female..but they are mucho expensive for just  a "headphone for use" 

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Haha got her to sign up here:) Yeah I actually think the self adjustable style that those JVCs have is pretty cool lookin honestly. Idk somethin about it... like the AKGs look SWEET to me. Vmodas in white would be cool, but I suppose she can decide for herself huh? And yeah, the HFI-580s aren't the most comfortable /: I find myself taking a lot of breaks... stupid shallow earcups haha

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Haha got her to sign up here:) Yeah I actually think the self adjustable style that those JVCs have is pretty cool lookin honestly. Idk somethin about it... like the AKGs look SWEET to me. Vmodas in white would be cool, but I suppose she can decide for herself huh? And yeah, the HFI-580s aren't the most comfortable /: I find myself taking a lot of breaks... stupid shallow earcups haha

There are some portable AKG's that can be good with EDM. I have the K422's and they do decently but are semi openl

You can look at a few.

Which AKG's are you looking at?

I don't like any Sennheisers at this price point with no amp for EDM and dub in case you are wondering.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 11
No Sennheisers, check. And well I'm just looking around at headphones to see which ones I wanna buy next. The more I read around on this site the more I wanna just buy some new headphones! haha just to see what sounds good. I also really need to upgrade my source... Get a DAC or something better than this sound card I have now, it does a good job with these headphones though. But yeah the AKG k702s look pretty sweet. I wanna get some open back ones this Christmas, I hear they have a really... well... open sound I guess. Haha, bigger soundstage I suppose is what you would call it?

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
No Sennheisers, check. And well I'm just looking around at headphones to see which ones I wanna buy next. The more I read around on this site the more I wanna just buy some new headphones! haha just to see what sounds good. I also really need to upgrade my source... Get a DAC or something better than this sound card I have now, it does a good job with these headphones though. But yeah the AKG k702s look pretty sweet. I wanna get some open back ones this Christmas, I hear they have a really... well... open sound I guess. Haha, bigger soundstage I suppose is what you would call it?

At this price point, In my opinion, at this range, they don't have enough bass and forward vocals to do EDM or dub step well.

Have your friend look around, here:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

the two main buying guides

There's also this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618255/check-out-the-head-fi-summer-2012-buying-guide

but it's not really that helpful for newbies and is more like a catalog.

At this price point of $100 and depending on the headphone, an amp and DAC is not needed.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah she wasn't planning on buying an amp or DAC (and probably doesn't even know what they are) and I figured she wouldn't need it. I was talking about for ME when I said that. And you say low end open back wont handle EDM good? Well yeah I already told her she should get close back anyways so that's good. :p But these will be her first upgrade from her crappy earbuds lol, so I'm sure that whatever will be good... Just trying to start her out with the BEST for what she is looking for :)

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Yeah she wasn't planning on buying an amp or DAC (and probably doesn't even know what they are) and I figured she wouldn't need it. I was talking about for ME when I said that. And you say low end open back wont handle EDM good? Well yeah I already told her she should get close back anyways so that's good. :p But these will be her first upgrade from her crappy earbuds lol, so I'm sure that whatever will be good... Just trying to start her out with the BEST for what she is looking for :)

I don't think I said low end open won't handle it well....

I said the lower end of the sennheiser series, sub $100 as you are looking in my opinion aren't good at EDM.

Some companies use open design to boost bass actually or vocals, (example:AKG and Sony XB)

She should get closed WITH GOOD ISOLATION (some closed have bad isolation) as for most people, that would be best.

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Panasonic RP-HTX7 is a good start for $30. I've heard good things about the V-MODA LP as well. Another fantastic hp and very underrated: AKG K181DJ. Big soundstage, very detailed yet laidback, balanced, stylish, and isolating. I currently have a pair for sale if you're interested (my listing is in my profile).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back