Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #316 of 12,296
Hello, I'm new at headfi. :)

Nice thread! I'm looking to buy mid-tier(X2,HD600,Mad Dog,..?) headphones. Which would you recommend?

I listen to pretty much everything metal but if I had to pick one style it'd be death metal.

You rank the HD600 & X1 as average for death metal. Have you tried the X2? Mad Dog is the way to go if I rank death metal high?

I have O2+ODAC.

Cheers!

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #317 of 12,296
Hello, I'm new at headfi. :)

Nice thread! I'm looking to buy mid-tier(X2,HD600,Mad Dog,..?) headphones. Which would you recommend?

I listen to pretty much everything metal but if I had to pick one style it'd be death metal.

You rank the HD600 & X1 as average for death metal. Have you tried the X2? Mad Dog is the way to go if I rank death metal high?

I have O2+ODAC.

Cheers!

My personal choice would be Mad Dogs. In my opinion 600 are more for Progressive, Power side of metal.
I really don't like X1 much, so don't plan to review X2. But if you like "dark" sound, they are must to try.

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #320 of 12,296
I'm going to go ahead and say that out of HE-4, HE-500 and HE-400i, I definitely think the HE-400i are best suited for most types of metal. It is the least revealing to my ears, has the smallest soundstage and the most enjoyable frequency response for metal. HE-500 are too relaxed and the HE-4 are too harsh with the wrong set up (need some warm sounding tubes imo). The LCD-2 rev 2.2 were great but I haven't A-B'd them and they are quite a lot more expensive than the 400i so take that into account. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #321 of 12,296
I'm going to go ahead and say that out of HE-4, HE-500 and HE-400i, I definitely think the HE-400i are best suited for most types of metal. It is the least revealing to my ears, has the smallest soundstage and the most enjoyable frequency response for metal. HE-500 are too relaxed and the HE-4 are too harsh with the wrong set up (need some warm sounding tubes imo). The LCD-2 rev 2.2 were great but I haven't A-B'd them and they are quite a lot more expensive than the 400i so take that into account. 

I haven't heard the HE500 but I own an HE-4, HE400i and and LCD 2.1. I agree with everything you said except my HE-4 is from the first ever batch and it does not really "suffer" from being too bright or harsh. some have speculated that hifiman may have changed the tuning of the he-4 drivers over time.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #323 of 12,296

Could you please elaborate a little? What do you mean with "dark" sound?

I mean sound with recessed treble, usually sound has "veil" effect. In many headphones "darkness" effect is multiplied by fluffy, slow bass. 
A lot of people gets tired of "bright" treble and prefers "dark" sound.

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #324 of 12,296
Has anyone else tried the Alpha Primes? I'd like to calibrate some thoughts and see about posting a micro-review until levap can get his hands on a pair to do an official review himself.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #325 of 12,296
Any of you folks have any thoughts on Innerfidelity's wall of fame rankings at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed ? Tyll has the Shure SRH840 beat out by a pair of cheap(ish) Logitech UE 6000, which are beat out by Sennheiser Momentums and/or Sony MDR-1R, which are both beat out by NAD VISO HP50. 

Sorry if that's a dumb question, and of course InnerFidelity is not gospel, I was just curious to hear thoughts.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #326 of 12,296
Any of you folks have any thoughts on Innerfidelity's wall of fame rankings at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed ? Tyll has the Shure SRH840 beat out by a pair of cheap(ish) Logitech UE 6000, which are beat out by Sennheiser Momentums and/or Sony MDR-1R, which are both beat out by NAD VISO HP50. 

Sorry if that's a dumb question, and of course InnerFidelity is not gospel, I was just curious to hear thoughts.

Tyll knows his stuff. I've found his opinions to be right more often than not. Though I've found his tastes trend toward a smoother, less edgy sound... which doesn't always tend to match up with the best phones for metal. You'll note a lack of beyers, grados, hifimans, etc., on the wall of fame - all good phones for metal.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #327 of 12,296
Levap have you ever given the TDS-16 Smela a whirl for metal? I see you had the TDS-15 on the list, but which variant is it there are some warmer and some not as warm tuned.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #328 of 12,296

I think, "The wall of fame" consists of great headphones, but structure and priorities to include / exclude headphones from it are subjective (that's not bad by default, may be actually interesting, because it shows personal point of view of Tyll and lets to understand his reviews more deep), may be with a dash of marketing. I did non try every headphones there, but of what I heard
 - Shure 1540 - very, very good for the price, but deadly boring
 - Focal Spirit Professional - thumbs up and no questions
 - V-Moda Crossfade M-100 - unusual and "fun" cans, but to say, that they're extraordinary enough for wall of fame? Being far inferior in sound to Focals and with almost the same price tag?
 - Audio Technica ATH-M50x - that's marketing position, I think. "it's audio performance remains head-and-shoulders above other sealed headphones at this price" - absolute nonsense. Mentioned Shure SRH840 have almost the same price and objectively not inferios to M50 and subjectively for me superior to M50.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #329 of 12,296
  Levap have you ever given the TDS-16 Smela a whirl for metal? I see you had the TDS-15 on the list, but which variant is it there are some warmer and some not as warm tuned.

No, all my TDS-relevant experience is present in spreadsheet. Looking forward to try modded TDS-15 (also by Snorry), enthusiasts find their sound signature close to LCD-2.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #330 of 12,296
Tyll knows his stuff. I've found his opinions to be right more often than not. Though I've found his tastes trend toward a smoother, less edgy sound... which doesn't always tend to match up with the best phones for metal. You'll note a lack of beyers, grados, hifimans, etc., on the wall of fame - all good phones for metal.

He sure does love the words, lush, velvety, yummy, and luxurious to describe his stuff. He even labeled the LCDX as a youthful sounding headphones.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back